Remote video trigger built into rig handle at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD
APS-C sensor cameras including the 80D, 70D, 7D Mk. II, 7D, EOS M and Rebel models for HD video recording.

Old June 8th, 2010, 12:15 AM   #1
Major Player

Remote video trigger built into rig handle

I dunno if anyone else is having fun triggering the t2i remotely (or the 7d and 5d2 for that matter), but I got tired of reaching out of my rig to do it and decided to build a solution. Quick little write-up with pics up on my blog:
Remote HDSLR video trigger built into handle - Arrow Ten Media

Basically I took apart a cheap chinese remote and extended some leads, trimmed the board, and fit it all inside a really comfortable power tool grip handle. Mounted that to a lightweight photo bracket, and voila!

Old June 8th, 2010, 12:46 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Hi Jad.........

Don't use any of the camera's mentioned but just love the lateral thinking you've put into this solution for your problems.

Extremely elegant and functional.

Innovation is not dead!

Great stuff.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2010, 04:27 AM   #3
Major Player

Awesome work Jad, congratulations.

What type of remote did you use in the first place? I have a wireless trigger which works for stills, but I wasn't aware there was a possibility to use this to trigger video recording. Does a standard wireless remote trigger start recording when the camera is in video mode?
James Donnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2010, 11:16 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Yeap, it is a problem -in my set up, starding camera is best accomplished having to switch hands holding the pistol grip, to start, with right hand and then transfer pistol grip back to right hand from left after camera is rolling. PITA. I have one of the Canon tiny remotes that I intend to wire using a some fiber optic cable to accomplish same thing being done here. I had to do the same thing with my Canon HV20 rig a few years back.
Old June 8th, 2010, 01:35 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Donnelly View Post
What type of remote did you use in the first place? I have a wireless trigger which works for stills, but I wasn't aware there was a possibility to use this to trigger video recording. Does a standard wireless remote trigger start recording when the camera is in video mode?
The remote is the RC-5 type, specifically for triggering liveview/video. The camera even flashes amber on the front that recording has started, which is really useful when you aren't staring at the back screen. I don't think any of the normal remotes will trigger video.
Old June 8th, 2010, 01:45 PM   #6
Major Player

Do you have a link to the remote??
Jerry Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2010, 09:28 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jad Meouchy View Post
The remote is the RC-5 type, specifically for triggering liveview/video. The camera even flashes amber on the front that recording has started, which is really useful when you aren't staring at the back screen. I don't think any of the normal remotes will trigger video.
Canon RC-1 will trigger video:

Sam Kanter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2010, 10:38 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Is there some remote based on RF that triggers video?
Rob deJong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2010, 05:51 AM   #9
Regular Crew

I mean is there a remote based on Radio Frequencies that will trigger the film function on a DSLR. I need to control the camera from behind. In general, the IR sensors are on the front side.

Or will I be able to communicate with the camera if I am behind it with that RC-5 or RC-1?
Rob deJong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2010, 02:35 AM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob deJong View Post
I mean is there a remote based on Radio Frequencies that will trigger the film function on a DSLR. I need to control the camera from behind. In general, the IR sensors are on the front side.

Or will I be able to communicate with the camera if I am behind it with that RC-5 or RC-1?
Nothing over RF that I'm aware of for video triggering, very common for photo trigger though. To use it from behind, you'll need to snake a little fiber optic cable from the sensor or use a little mirror or even bounce card. Basically you need to shoot the remote's LED right at the little black dot on the camera's grip handle.
Old July 5th, 2010, 08:09 AM   #11
Regular Crew

fibre optic cable items - Get great deals on Computers Networking, Electronics items on eBay.com!

Would I be able to use any of these cables?? Or do you have some advise on how to make such a construction?
Rob deJong is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Crop Sensor for HD