mixing camera formats is this possible? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old January 13th, 2008, 07:25 AM   #1
Major Player

mixing camera formats is this possible?

i have found that i am in need of a second camera. I am thinking of a Canon HV20 for size and pricing reasons.

I am wondering if I shoot a tape in my GL2, can i then place that tape in the HV20 and capture it to the PC as i am still shooting with the GL2. (and vice versa)

In the rendering process I should be able to put both vids in the same format shouldnt i? IS there a standard def mode in the HV20 to allow this.

Thanks...

Really liking this videomaking!
David Ruhland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2008, 12:31 PM   #2
Major Player

Your HV20 will capture your GL2 tapes to your PC exactly the same as your GL2 would. No special rendering necessary.

Also, if you wish to shoot using your HV20, you can have the camera convert to standard definition as you capture it, or you can have it film in standard def to begin with.

Good luck!
Chris Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2008, 02:07 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks for the response
Old January 14th, 2008, 08:17 AM   #4
Wrangler

To expand a bit: while the HC20 can do both SD and HDV formats, the GL2 only suports SD format. So that limits your options somewhat.

I.e., the HV20 can play anything the GL2 shoots, but the GL2 cannot play the HDV formats from the HV20, only the SD format.
Old January 14th, 2008, 09:47 AM   #5
Major Player

Thats good to know... for right now all i am doing is SD. I 2was shooting an instructional video on saturday and would have liked to have been able to continue shooting the second tape while the first was being captured to the computer, but of course had the camera tied up during capture.

On a personal note, the HV20 looks a little bit more compact for traveling as I travel back and forth from the US to China. Looks like it will give me good quality too. (the HV20)
Old January 14th, 2008, 08:41 PM   #6
Wrangler

Just avoid recording at LP speed if you want to playback the tape on a different machine.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders