Cannot FF/RW tapes in my GL2 - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old December 6th, 2003, 08:35 AM   #46
Regular Crew

Hi Dirk.

About the Canon centre wich repaired it, is Canon Official place in Madrid/Spain, but I think it has been sent to Barcelona.

The second question yes, it was under one year warranty and they offered to me a two years more warranty for 210€. Still thinking about this point.
Old December 6th, 2003, 07:22 PM   #47
Regular Crew

I believe my camera was sent to New Jersey and there was no charge. I used a local camera shop her in St. Louis (Schillers) which is a source for a lot of pros and pro equipment, etc. to send my camera in under warranty, even though I DID NOT PURCHASE THE CAMERA THERE. I am a regular customers of theirs, however.

I did not even have to pay shipping or handling. My camera was still under warranty.
Diane Bogosian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2003, 05:21 PM   #48
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Walter Scott : So far here is my situation: I dropped off my Opturi at the local dealer on 11/17. I called them this mornng. Canon has my cam and the repair will cost $300. Oddly, this is EXACTLY the maximum amount I authorized them to spend w/o contacting me. I can expect it back 3 to 4 weeks from today. It looks like you get better results if you avoid the dealer and send it in yourself.

I have ordered a new GL2, and I paid $150 for a 4 year extended Cannon warrenty. Based on the above unpleasent experiece (the Opturi was bought in '01) Id say the $150 was worth it.

I'll let you know when I get the beast back. -->>>

OK, update time! Got the baby back on 12/18 and all is OK with it. Cost $200. they listed a LOT of parts that were replaced, looks like most of the transport system.
Old December 26th, 2003, 07:03 PM   #49
New Boot

I just got my GL2 back after I got the FF/RW problems. The repair letter says "Replaced drive gear assy. Performed tape path adjustment. Cleaned and checked all GWO."

So, two questions:

What does "GWO" mean? If everything is clean, do you think it's safe to switch tape brands? If you have switched tape brands after cleaning, let me know how it work out.

Thanks!
Miquel de Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2003, 01:47 AM   #50
Regular Crew

Hi Miquel.

I d'ont know what this GWO mean. Anyway I guess that problem has to do more with a malcfuntion during loading or unloading the tape (gear out of place?), that with the brand change as i posted above.

Nevertheless I will use only Sony brand.
Old December 27th, 2003, 02:52 AM   #51
Old Boot

Gear out of place? Hmm... interesting. I realise you aren't saying this . . but it has got me thinking too . . .

Now on the load/unload malfunction I've had this. I've had the effect of turing "Off" the cammie and then going to remove the tape. Pop open the the side door . .nothing happens .. Close the door again and pop it open, the tape rises out of the innards. This is interesting . ..

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2003, 04:40 AM   #52
Major Player

There is me thinking I am doing something wrong!

I too have had this problem where nothing happens when opening the tape door, I just put it down to learning or switch in the wrong position.
Old December 27th, 2003, 10:35 AM   #53
Regular Crew

I am guessing that GWO stands for Good Working Order, meaning that the tech checked everything and it is all in good working order....as for tape brand switching, I am still skeptical on the ramifications, personally. But if there ever was a good time to switch a brand and stick with it, it must be when it comes back from the shop.
Diane Bogosian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2003, 12:22 PM   #54
New Boot

Ah! I hadn't though of that. Canon didn't know, either. By the way, if you plan on sending your camera soon, or if it's in the shop now, you should know that Canon's computers seem to be acting up. Heck, I just called, and they said my GL2 will be shipped next week!
Miquel de Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2003, 06:47 PM   #55
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Walter Scott : ......

OK, update time! Got the baby back on 12/18 and all is OK with it. Cost $200. they listed a LOT of parts that were replaced, looks like most of the transport system. -->>>

Just discovered that the repaied tape transport is MUCH quieter than before the repair. Accidently shot some vid with the external mic unplugged only to find that the soundtrack was no longer filled with the whine and grind of the transport/motor. Good news for casual shooting.
Old December 29th, 2003, 07:43 AM   #56
New Boot

I sent my GL2 to New Jersey this past week to get it fixed. The FF/RW problem was getting worse (it really became aggravating trying to batch capture) and the camera errored for the first time in FF eating the tape in the process. I documented the symptoms and listed the repairs that they did to Diane's camera if indeed that is the problem.

The lady I talked to at Canon was extremely nice. Hopefully I'll get it back before I need it in mid-January.
Old December 29th, 2003, 07:48 AM   #57
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Dirk Mitchell : .....

The lady I talked to at Canon was extremely nice. Hopefully I'll get it back before I need it in mid-January. -->>>

Well, you might. My repair took exactly one month, but I took my cam to the local dealer and they sent it to Canon. You can prob save a few days by sending it yourself, and maybe you can get Canon to overnight it back to you if you agree to pay the shipping. Good luck and do keep us posted.
Old December 29th, 2003, 08:54 AM   #58
Old Boot

My repair took a month too. This is London UK. I elected to go via my supplier, a major Canon dealer in London. Okay, I've got a 3 month cover on the repair so I'm kinda covered.

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2004, 07:20 AM   #59
New Boot

Got my GL2 back yesterday and it appears in "GWO." The list of repairs is similar to Diane's:

Replaced idler gear assy
Drive gear assy
Slide chassis
Performed tape path adjustment
Cleaned and checked all GWO

It took about 2 weeks and was covered under warranty although shipping to them was not covered and set me back about $70 (packaging, postage, and insurance) at the UPS Store. (Tip: find a good used box elsewhere.)

I'm very happy so far.
Old March 9th, 2004, 11:42 AM   #60
New Boot

I've had my camera back from service now for about 2 months and I just found another problem related to the eject message.

If I close the cassette compartment without a tape, say to store the camera indefinitely, the compartment will whine and whirl as it does with a tape, but then stop momentarily and then pop back up with the eject message. I would probably have never noticed this because I almost always put a tape in, which then it works fine.

I'm curious if those who got their cameras fixed with the idler gear problem now have this problem. I guess I'll be sending it back since it's still under warranty and who knows if it will get worse.

Thanks.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders