Cannot FF/RW tapes in my GL2 - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old November 25th, 2003, 11:39 AM   #31
New Boot

Well, no, I didn't know the XM-2 is the European GL2.

I have not sent mine into Canon. I'm waiting for Diane to reply on how hers fared in the shop.

Another thing I have noticed is that mine has to "warm up" before the error occurs. That could mean rewinding a couple of tapes or shuttling a lot while capturing from the camera. When it's really heavily used, I get the error message in seconds of rewinding. I've also noticed that when it occurs, it's in the first 30 minutes of the tape.
Old November 25th, 2003, 02:21 PM   #32
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Ignacio Artiņano : Just three imputs.

Just for curiosity, how long do you expect to be at Canon for fixing?

Please keep us informed because I'm planing to send it to Canon too.

My understadning is that their turnaround is around 3 to 4 weeeks. Of course I will post to the forum as I find things out.
Walter Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2003, 03:04 PM   #33
Major Player

Just my experience but... I sent my GL2 to the CA Canon Service Center. Received it back one week later (including shipping time). I'm sure that the degree of dificulty they have isolating the problem can be a mitagating factor but I was sure impressed.
Rob Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2003, 07:15 AM   #34
Regular Crew

After deciding to send my XM2 to Canon Technical Support, I'll place here a repport af the whole reparation process.

Happy filming.
Old November 29th, 2003, 04:45 PM   #35
Regular Crew

My GL2 was shipped by a local retailer to Canon over 2 weeks ago. I was told to expect it to be 4-6 weeks. I asked them to label it "Pro-expedite" which they did, but warned me not to expect a faster response. Perhaps posters who received such (incredibly) speedy service have some tips on how to get faster response time. I am also considering calling Canon directly re: the ff/rw issue (it's just a matter of remembering to do it when I have the time) and will post any useful info.

Diane
Diane Bogosian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2003, 09:42 AM   #36
Regular Crew

Finally I sent it on nov. 27th. The expected delay is between 7 and 15 days. Anyway they told me to contact them on mon. or tues. in order to know exactly the FF/RW problem.

Best to all.
Old December 1st, 2003, 02:39 PM   #37
Regular Crew

So far here is my situation: I dropped off my Opturi at the local dealer on 11/17. I called them this mornng. Canon has my cam and the repair will cost $300. Oddly, this is EXACTLY the maximum amount I authorized them to spend w/o contacting me. I can expect it back 3 to 4 weeks from today. It looks like you get better results if you avoid the dealer and send it in yourself.

I have ordered a new GL2, and I paid $150 for a 4 year extended Cannon warrenty. Based on the above unpleasent experiece (the Opturi was bought in '01) Id say the $150 was worth it.

I'll let you know when I get the beast back.
Old December 4th, 2003, 07:09 AM   #38
Regular Crew

Hi all.

Just receiving back my XM2 from Canon Technical Dep.

The problem is solved and now again goes FF/RW flawlessly. Total time fron the day I sent it, to final delivery 7 days !!!

Anyway, I think that Canon should have to do something about this issue, because no extra effort has been applied to the camcorder.

The technical report is: "Mechanical Unit has been changed and some mechanical and electical adjustments has been made"

Hope this helps.

Happy filming
Old December 4th, 2003, 08:02 AM   #39
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Ignacio Artiņano : Hi all.

"Just receiving back my XM2 from Canon Technical Dep.

The problem is solved and now again goes FF/RW flawlessly. Total time fron the day I sent it, to final delivery 7 days !!!"

Now I have a thoery that if you deal direct with Canon you get MUCH better service than if you have a dealer do it for you! Im still waiting for my Optura, which I left at a dealer on 11/17!

"The technical report is: "Mechanical Unit has been changed and some mechanical and electical adjustments has been made"

Sheesh, I wonder what that means? If I ever see my Optura again, I'll report here!
Old December 4th, 2003, 04:14 PM   #40
Regular Crew

Just got MY GL2 back. Haven't even been home to try it out yet, but trust it will work well. Here's what Canon did:

Replaced the "idler" gear (?)
Replaced the drive gear slide
adjusted the tape path

For those who may find it useful, the repair code is: R37258

The retailer who sent my camera in looked up the repair code and translated it for me.

Diane
Diane Bogosian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2003, 07:18 PM   #41
Regular Crew

Sorry Walter, my English is not very rich and I can't undersrtand your post.

Would you clarify it a bit?

Best tot all.
Old December 5th, 2003, 09:17 AM   #42
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Ignacio Artiņano : Sorry Walter, my English is not very rich and I can't undersrtand your post.

Would you clarify it a bit?

Best tot all. -->>>

what I am trying to say is that it looks like you get faster service if you mail your camera to Canon repair direclty. It seems that folks that let their local vendor send the camera in get much slower service.
Old December 5th, 2003, 03:38 PM   #43
Regular Crew

Thanks Walter for your reply.

Anyway thinking back about the problem itself, provably the reasson of the malfunction chould be due to a bad operation while opening the cassette cover with a microphone and headphones atached to the camcorder, and not letting to completely finish the eject cycle during a while.

Any inputs on that?

Sorry again for my english, but is not my native language.
Old December 5th, 2003, 05:20 PM   #44
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Ignacio Artiņano : Thanks Walter for your reply.

sure, hope I made it more clear

Anyway thinking back about the problem itself, provably the reasson of the malfunction chould be due to a bad operation while opening the cassette cover with a microphone and headphones atached to the camcorder, and not letting to completely finish the eject cycle during a while.

Any inputs on that?

Not in my case. I'm always very carful about loading/unloading the tapes, and when the unit failed it did not have external mic or headphones connected.
Old December 6th, 2003, 07:40 AM   #45
New Boot

I'm glad to hear that Diane and Ignacio have their cameras back and working. Do you know which repair center your camera was repaired at? And were either of your cameras under warranty? I'm still within my warranty period (except for tape heads) and the repair on Diane's doesn't sound like it was the tape head. How much did it end up costing either of you?

Thanks.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders