Maintenance on GL2? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old January 18th, 2005, 02:56 PM   #1

Maintenance on GL2?

Hello everyone,

I have a questions about getting cameras 'checked up' by the manufacturer. I own a fleet of 4 GL2's, and wanted to hear everyone's thoughts on this.

Does anybody recommend getting their cameras 'checked up' by the Canon to make sure everything is in proper working order every now and then? IE- everything is lined up, cleaned, etc.

If so, what is a general rule of thumb as to when to do this? My cameras are used about 15-30 hours per month on average between April and October with very little use November through March.

Any suggestions or insight on this is appreciated... including costs of such maintenance if anyone knows:)

Thanks!
Old January 18th, 2005, 03:34 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

I recommend sending them in to Canon Factory Service in Jamesburg, NJ at least once per year.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2005, 04:02 PM   #3

That is my initial plan. Have you done that before Chris? What do they charge you for 'the works'? I have a quote of $240 (before s&h) for maintenance on two cameras... does that sound right to you?
Old January 18th, 2005, 08:07 PM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

Matt

I have owned only an XL1, not a GL. The price sounds just right. It's basically a labor charge and is no more or less expensive than any other camcorder manufacturer. Think of it like an oil change. Anything with complex moving parts and electronics, like your car or camcorder, requires regular maintenance. They'll take good care of you.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2005, 08:45 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I just had my GL2 serviced at Canon (I live in NJ so was able to bring it to them). They fixed some small problems and gave the camera a complete maintenance service for $240, plus tax and shipping back to me. The $240 is their standard charge for this kind of GL2 service.

They were very professional and helpful. The camera service was done promptly, and they overnighted it back to me.
Jim OMalley is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders