Smooth Slow motion shots with GL2??? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old November 25th, 2005, 10:28 PM   #31
Regular Crew

Hello

What good plug-ins are available for vegas or stand alone that can give very good slow motion?

Thanks
Jim Rog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2005, 12:18 AM   #32
Trustee

MotionPerfect by Dynapel.

Go to my site, and watch the "One Headlight" music video. I used MotionPerfect for a good 80% of that film.

Be sure to film at high shutter speeds to avoid motion blur, which can be icky when slow-motioning(sp?). I filmed on a sunny day at 1/15000 which is the highest shutter speed the GL2 goes at--but you need a lot of light for that to work.

www.dynapel.com
Old November 26th, 2005, 07:41 AM   #33
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Winter
MotionPerfect by Dynapel.

Go to my site, and watch the "One Headlight" music video. I used MotionPerfect for a good 80% of that film.

Be sure to film at high shutter speeds to avoid motion blur, which can be icky when slow-motioning(sp?). I filmed on a sunny day at 1/15000 which is the highest shutter speed the GL2 goes at--but you need a lot of light for that to work.

www.dynapel.com
was this a plugin you used? what program?
Jim Rog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2006, 01:01 AM   #34
New Boot

I have just recently had time to have a play around with doing slow motion in premiere. Make sure your footage is interlaced. Also, this is for Premiere Pro 1.5.

I should warn you its a very time consuming process, however the results are pretty much perfect, no flickering or ghosting.

Create a new sequence.

Select your video clip and place it on the "Video 2" track. Reduce the speed to 50%, and deinterlace it. Make sure, "Frame Blending" is not selected. We'll call this "Clip A".

Copy this clip onto the "Video 1" track. We'll call this "Clip B".

You should now have two identical clips.

Now, right click on "Clip B" and select "Field Options". Select "Reverse Field Dominance". Click "Ok".

Before you continue on, if you intend to keep the Audio from these clips, you must "Split" it from the Video. You can delete one of these Audio tracks, as they will both be the same. You can now "Lock" this audio track.

You should now have Two Video Clips on Video Tracks 1 and 2, and One Audio Clip on either Audio Track 1 or 2 (this track should be locked).

Now here's the time consuming part. You need to make a Trim on every single frame. The easiest way would be to use the keyboard shortcuts for "Avid", so you will need to change your settings to this.

Select "Edit", "Keyboard Customization" then use the drop down menu to select "Avid Express".

Now, go back to your Time line, and Scrub to the begining of the Sequence.

Press the "Right" Arrow Key, then press the "H" Letter Key.

Continue this process until you have reached the end of the clip.

Now that you have "Trims" on every frame you can now go through and delete alternate frames on "Video Track 2".

Delete the very first frame and delete every second frame from there, all the way to the end of the clip.

Once completed, you should now be able to play the sequence back and you will have smooth slow motion.

You can now drop this Sequence into another Sequence where the slow motion clip is required. Also if you want to slow it down even more, you can adjust the speed on the Sequence, however reducing the speed too much will cause slight jerkiness.

EDIT:
I have also just tested slowing down the sequence by 50% and applying the Twixtor plug in (with some tweaking), the result is very smooth slow motion, 200% slower than the original clip.

I hope this works for you all.

Let me know how it goes.

Last edited by Cameron Jeong; March 1st, 2006 at 08:34 AM.
Cameron Jeong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2006, 02:50 AM   #35
Regular Crew

Thanks Cameron for this very well written piece. I would just like some clarifications on the "time consuming" part. Do I have to apply the trim on clip A (vid track 2) or clip B (vid track 1) ?

Also, I will scrub to the very first frame of the clip then press left then h?

I thought it would go like right then h then right then H...sorry for my ignorance just for clarification thanks again.
Leonardo Silva Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2006, 08:28 AM   #36
New Boot

Haha you're right I do mean "Right". I'll fix that.

You should be making trims to the clip on VIDEO TRACK 2. As this is the track that you will be deleting frames from.

However when using the keyboard shortcuts, the trims are made to both tracks. This doesn't matter.
Old March 1st, 2006, 10:29 AM   #37
Inner Circle

As long as we're resurrecting an old topic, isn't it now the case that you can shoot "real" slow motion footage using the Panasonic HVX200 in various combinations of recording and playback frame rates?
Kevin Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2006, 10:08 PM   #38
New Boot

Yes, but for those who don't want to fork out $6000 for a new camera (just for the slow motion capabilities), I'm sure this is the obvious answer.
Old March 2nd, 2006, 08:34 PM   #39
Major Player

Okay, so I decided to use Cameron's technique for a 5 second clip.

It was shot with the GL2 (obviously) using 60i and output to 24 fps. IMO it looks really nice and smooth.

I used PPro 1.5 and here's the Quicktime file:

http://www.geocities.com/headlesspup..._slomo_24p.zip
Old March 2nd, 2006, 09:44 PM   #40
Regular Crew

i am so in love with slow motion. saving up for the pana hvx200 ...anyway ...did this quickly and easily with the xl2 ..60i ....took the footage into vegas ...slowed the playback rate to .250 and selected "smart resample" .....no saying it's great slowmotion ..but it's easy ..and decent

www.elpez.com/slowmo2.wmv
John Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2006, 10:38 PM   #41
Regular Crew

John, that was a very nice slow-mo clip. What were your camera settings, like shutter?

Here's Barry's Green advice for shooting/NLE settings:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...t=glass-smooth

"Shooting 60i at 1/120th, and playing back at 50% speed, delivers glass-smooth slow motion, but with an overall softer image."

I think he did mention using "smart resample" in another post that I can't find at the moment.
Xavier Etown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2006, 11:30 PM   #42
Regular Crew

unfortunately i dont remember the shutter speed. The only setting i know for sure was 60i ...and i had the camera in auto mode
Old March 3rd, 2006, 02:54 AM   #43
Major Player

John,

the quality of that is first rate! I just wish I could get results like that using Premiere Pro.

I believe Canopus have a small program for speed control available for free download. I tried this once, but i could not get it to recognise non-canopus files. This one has the advantage of being able to vary speed over the clip.
Alan Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2006, 10:31 AM   #44
Regular Crew

alan. I know i tried this with premiere back in the day ..and it seemed to work just as good. Maybe it's just a settings issue? ...it's crucial that you use 60i ....other than that..i'm not sure what i had selected ...no special plug-ins or anything ..just stardard premiere 1.5 i believe
Old March 3rd, 2006, 11:26 AM   #45
Major Player

Thanks John.

Maybe I had better give it another try - I have not tried it with Pro 1.5, I was still on 6.5 when I could not get it to work.

Do you mean by 60i that you had to use de-interlaced footage? As far as I recall, I did not de-interlace. I am in PAL land, so it would be 25fps for me, and thus 50i?

I have had a look on the Canopus site and it does not seem to be there any longer - I shall have to search my archived downloads. I believe you had to have a Canopus codec installed too, and there was another utility to enable you to view and use the finished file, I think?
Alan Craven is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders