Smooth Slow motion shots with GL2??? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old May 1st, 2005, 09:03 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Nayman
Matt, trust me. I know you can do slow mo in FCP, but it is jerky. I have shot three 2 hour features on DV, and 1 on super 16mm. the slow-mo difference is Astounding.

The footage Steve posted looks jerky cause it's super compressed, but if yo uwatch these videos at full res you se ehow good 16mm slow mo is. it's just science... more frames = more information. 60i can only give you 60i of information, no matter how good the interpolation is.

For true slow mo, film is the cheapest way to go.

Don't shoot 35mm, it is a waste of money.

If you really need true slow-mo, shoot a simple 16mm cam, one roll of film (100ft) will cover you about 3 minutes shooting 24fps, 1 minute of superb slowmo.

Click steves first link (street spirit) and watch for 3:48. the glass is a perfect example, you cant do that in dv.
I've done over 400 weddings using my method. Did you look at my footage? Look jerky to you? I make 2 hour feature films every week, two or three of them. Granted, they're wedding videos, but very cinematic and it pays me well over 6 figures a year... I think I know what I'm doing.

I understand completely what you're talking about and agree with you, BUT, we're NOT TALKING ABOUT MAKING A SUPER SLOW MOTION ACTION MOVIE HERE!! Refer to the 'Indiana Jones' post I made above.
Old May 1st, 2005, 09:12 AM   #17

Oh... my last post was in reference to the FCP slow-mo being 'jerky' by Mr. Nayman. It may sound a little brutal becuase I just woke up and I'm always grumpy in the morning:)

Steve, good luck on your project. Hopefully you find a cost effective way to achieve what you're looking for! As a side note, not that it is better than the 16mm, but most professional DV cams have a 'frame' mode, which captures pristine images frame by frame in video which may help achieve what you're trying to do at a satisfactory level. Just an idea to try out if you already have a high-end DV cam.
Old May 1st, 2005, 09:12 AM   #18
Major Player

I don't want this to turn into a personal flame war, but there is a difference between cinematic film making, and wedding videos.

I agree that if there isn't a lot motion, like couples eating wedding cake or kissing, then slwoing footage down to 80 or 70 percent looks fine.

I believe steve has seomthing closer to the Radiohead video in mind. If it has a lot of slow-mo and has to look really good, then you can't argue that film will look better.

Besides, 16mm is higher resolution than DV and better contrast ratio.

Granted this is a DV forum and I own an XL2, GL2 and DVX, so I love DV, but when I shot slow-mo for my DV features, I shot on 16 and digitzed it.
Matthew Nayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2005, 03:54 PM   #19
Regular Crew

what im trying to achieve here is using a dolly to slide the camera from right to left and capture the band playing. one shot, left to right and done. im not sure if that makes sense, or if you understand. but i want it to show this in slow motin, like in the Street Spirit video. it will only take up about 20 seconds real time, and then about a minute for other performance footage that i will splice into the final project. im going to try to get a 16mm for the day since i cant afford to purchase one. thanks for the tips guys.
Steve Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2005, 09:14 AM   #20
Tourist

I too searched high and low for the fabled minidv slow-mo effect and after many fruitless weeks of people telling me to slow it down in premiere (Slide showsville!) I have come across a little software magic...

Everyone's right, you can't get awesome slow motion from a DV camera, however you can get great slo-mo with a good plugin. I thought I would post my own comments on a nifty piece of software I have tried called realviz retimer. Very similar to Twixtor with astounding results.
It uses a combination of interpolation, frame blending and pixel by pixel matching much like the Wachowski's used to get their bullet time rigs to work so smooth. If you've seen the behind the scenes featurette on the Matrix DVD, you'll remember the green screen shot of Neo doing his famous bend over backwards trick. This is essentially 60 or so STILL cameras placed around him in an arc. This on its own results in a slide show like effect in play back as it jumps from one still to the next. In comes the interpolation software! It literally computer generates all the frames in between to give smooth slo-mo. I gave this example because what happens when you slow down dv footage the normal way? It starts to look like a bunch of still frames, which is why this plugin is so effective!

There is a very good demo video called bike-flip on realviz's site that shows exactly what this plugin can do with dv footage. Watch it and tell me it doesn't look like its shot with a 100fps camera!

http://www.realviz.com/gallery/spec....=5&&product=rt

Of course budget wise, this is a VERY expensive plugin, but so is a high speed camera. Try out the trial version.
Kyron Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2005, 07:34 PM   #21
Regular Crew

wow! i thought Twixtor was the only good program out there, this one looks so much better. thanks for letting me know!
Steve Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2005, 03:38 AM   #22
New Boot

Isn't it also possible to create good slow motion (half the speed) by shooting interlaced and doing some simple post production effects in most editing programs (eg, Abobe Premiere)??

Because you're getting interlaced footage then technically you're getting 60 frames per second (NTSC) 50 frames per second (PAL).

By creating two identical tracks with the same footage, reducing the speed to 50% and de-interlacing both (the first, Upper and the second Lower), then by switching between the two video tracks every second frame then you get result of smooth slow motion.

I havn't tried this in Adobe Premiere yet (I have done so in Ulead Media Studio), however its quite possible to achieve this same effect, I'll do some tests and see if its possible.

Last edited by Cameron Jeong; May 19th, 2005 at 04:57 AM.
Cameron Jeong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2005, 09:48 AM   #23
Major Player

I was just about to mention what Cameron has just suggested. In my opinion this is the best way to get a decent slow motion. Well half speed anyway. Your program should be set to interpolate the fields. In Vegas I set the playback rate to 50% and make sure that smart resample or whatever it's called is turned on.

There's also a couple of affordable programs here for creating nice looking slow motion: http://www.goodervideo.com/
Glenn Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2005, 11:23 AM   #24
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron Jeong
By creating two identical tracks with the same footage, reducing the speed to 50% and de-interlacing both (the first, Upper and the second Lower), then by switching between the two video tracks every second frame then you get result of smooth slow motion.
This sounds interesting. What technique do you use to switch between tracks every second frame?

Eric
Eric Holloway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2005, 02:34 PM   #25
Major Player

This was shot with the Canon GL1, cant be much different than with GL2.

Look here: http://whiterabbit.ryan-w.com/

The results are amazing.
Kyle Prohaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2005, 04:02 PM   #26
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Prohaska
The results are amazing.
Yes they are!

But a general question for all, what are the best camera (GL2) settings to use if you plan to use slow-motion in post?
Ming Dong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2005, 03:49 PM   #27
Major Player

I bought twixtor...I am talking about the new twixtor pro 4.5 and it is a beautifull program. It will cost you 400 dollars/euros, but I must admit..there is no other program to create slowdowns/slo-motions and other funny modern stuff such as the switch between extyreme speed-ups and suddenly amazing slow-downs. Just download the tutorial and you will see what you can get(you can do similar stuff seen on that clip from that long blond girl from destiny's child and that rapper J something). FOr 400 dollars it is the second best option and it rocks.

YOu only need clear shots (not too much moving around/keep it simple). Lots of contrast between the actor and the background. Result>> profesional slo-motions.
Jose di Cani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2005, 02:30 PM   #28
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron Jeong
Isn't it also possible to create good slow motion (half the speed) by shooting interlaced and doing some simple post production effects in most editing programs (eg, Abobe Premiere)??

Because you're getting interlaced footage then technically you're getting 60 frames per second (NTSC) 50 frames per second (PAL).

I havn't tried this in Adobe Premiere yet (I have done so in Ulead Media Studio), however its quite possible to achieve this same effect, I'll do some tests and see if its possible.
hello cameron, have you tried this yet with premiere? please tell us te story of how you have done it. thanks.
Leonardo Silva Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2005, 07:49 AM   #29
New Boot

I havn't actually tested this myself, but i found a little tutorial whilst searching the net.

http://www.pvnb.org/Tip_slomo.htm

If someone tries this, let me know how it goes, otherwise I'll further investigate what i suggested earlier.
Cameron Jeong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2005, 05:40 AM   #30
Regular Crew

I'm interested in this too. I use Vegas and don't see an easy way to do this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Holloway
This sounds interesting. What technique do you use to switch between tracks every second frame?

Eric

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders