shallow D.O.F. with GL2 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old March 11th, 2010, 01:47 AM   #16
Old Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Donovan View Post
I am honestly quite surprised that with a wide upen aperature the DoF can be that shallow with the GL2.
Why? Why would you think that?

When I started playing with my XM2; listened to everybody about this DoF and read further and deeper on the subject I came across articles on the web about a certain "Circle of Confusion" (CoF)! - Yes, nice term huh? Here is a link to a fabulous webpage that explains - and simply! - the correlation of wide APERTURES (with examples), and lens' lengths, which was nothing more than a revelation to me.

Now the DoF machines make this easier, if not more expensive, and highly more controllable with greater CoF leverage, leaving your XM2 a dumb receptor to that what it sees on the other side of the spinning disc. Is this still the technology?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Donovan View Post
Nice frame grabs by the way.
- Thank you Greg! You might wish to try experimenting with increasing the shutter speed of the XM2 first to gauge just how much DoF you can get. Meaning this has the similar effect as putting on NDs. However, and yes, you will get other anomalies with moving objects. But at least you can gauge just what is possible WITH your aperture at its widest, and without going to the extra expense of NDs just to try this theory out. Nice tip?

Understanding Depth of Field in Photography

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2010, 05:32 PM   #17
Inner Circle

A couple thoughts:

If you want to add nd filters and such I prefer to use square filters and a filter holder instead of messing with threads.

It was recommended on this forum in the past and I went with it, a cokin P series filter holder, hood and several filters. It is all rather inexpensive to be honest and easy to use. Also this lens hood can be used with the Century wide and anamorpphic lens on the gl2 as well so it has more than one use.

dale guthormsen
Old March 15th, 2010, 01:43 AM   #18
Old Boot

Dale? Did/have you gotten the similar/same results as I?

My decision was to go with True Lens Services "Kestrel" 100x100 (4"x4") setup. This WAS as a result of using a "twisty" 58mm pola from another company - nasty solution. But it did point me towards getting more savvy and educated on Filters, and so on, in general. As I was going to make a majorly expensive addition to the front of my camera, I went for the Formatt glass rather than the Cokins system. I now have 2 statics plus one rotator. During working closely with TLS over this they had adapted the Kestrel to add the further element, and now have an aluminium rotator which has valuable friction, accuracy but easy in its rotation. Rotation is paramount in using polas, and can assist creativity when using any grads. The 100x100 fits nicely over my Canon wide angle 80mm front end.

Dale, how would you rate the website link I included? Valuable or not?

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2010, 10:35 AM   #19
Inner Circle

Grazie,

The Kestrel is a nice matt box. Had I the spare cash at the time I would have purchased a better rig. That is actually on the list for this spring.

The web linc on dof is awesome!!! Having been a photo major in school back in the dark ages we had this all layed out for us. I really loved the DoF calculator!!!

It also explains very clearly why the sweet spot on a lens is NOT at the greatest depth of field!! Big lenses and small aperatures definitely soften images.

To me Dof is always in a constant state of flux, relationships between subject/lens/light/ distance/ desired effects and shutter speed.

Would it not be nice to know one just need to stay at 5.6 to always get what you want!!

If one is not familar with this stuff One should reread that web site over numerous times, particularly after a shoot one is not to happy with the results!!!

It is an awesome reminder!!

thank you for sharing this with everyone!!!!

Dale

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders