GL / XM assorted posts, 2003 - Page 14 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old March 18th, 2003, 12:01 AM   #196
Obstreperous Rex

All tapes or just one? Just one... faulty cassette. All of 'em... could be a camcorder service issue.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2003, 03:36 PM   #197
Regular Crew

Second wireless mic with Beachtek question?

Hi,
I did search the forum about this and got some information.
I've been recording audio during interviews with the subject wearing a Sennheiser ew100 series lav mic going straight into the GL2.
I have been wearing a cheap Radio Shack clip on and running it to another camera, which is kind of a pain when editing (I have to import the video just to get that audio track in) and the Radio Shack mic sounds pretty bad, to boot.
My question is whether its a good idea to add adapters that go from 1/8" to XLR to get both mics into the side of the BeachTek and then mix it into the GL2 from there. If it's OK to go that route, then I'll just plug the wired mic into the Beachtek.
Is this a passible setup?
Or should I continue to record the second mic into a separate source?
Thanks as always!
- John
John Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2003, 06:04 PM   #198
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

John,
I think you'll be fine using a 1/8" plug-to-XLR adapter and then plugging it into the 2nd channel of your BeachTek. It will be much simpler to edit! The adapter is inexpensive and should be easy to find. Failing local sources, look at Markertek; they specialize in such stuff. Do a test shoot to assess it.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2003, 06:09 PM   #199
Regular Crew

OK..Thanks for such a quick response! (I actually have to film something tomorrow.)
I am going to get an adapter and start testing. It will make the editing a lot easier.
Thanks again.
John Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2003, 12:29 PM   #200
Regular Crew

GL2 pricing on amazon.com

I'm a Sony PD150 owner and know absolutely nothing about the Canon GL2.

I noticed that amazon.com has the GL2 for $2343.59. I have no idea if that's a good price or not, but I thought it might be of interest to some here.

To get this pricing, you must be logged into your amazon.com account. On the first page, there's a Gold Box in the upper-right hand corner. Amazon.com normally rotates ten Gold Box offers every 24-hours or so. The GL2 just so happens to be in today's rotation.

To take advantage of the Gold Box pricing, you must have previously ordered something from amazon.com. To see the full product details on amazon.com, visit http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...waiichesspr-20. I think there are only 2 left at this price.

I hope this is of use to someone.
Edward Seid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2003, 01:27 PM   #201
Regular Crew

dubbing digital to digital?

Hello, I'm tying to transfer mini dv to mini dv. Is there going to be any loss in video quality and if so how much by using a canon cv-150f 4 pin dv cable? If there is any loss will it be noticeable when I burn the copy onto a dvd recorder for the tv since dvd is only 480 lines? Will it matter if I record from a one chip camcorder to my three chip GL-1?

Is it true that the mini dv tapes can shed or loss quality like vhs tapes after being played back or recorded more than 4 or 5 times?

Thank you,
Tony
Tony Marino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2003, 01:35 PM   #202
Wrangler

Using firewire there is no loss in quality. Its an all digital format.

I haven't a clue how many times you can replay a miniDV tape. But unlike VHS, miniDV is all digital. That means until you start losing bits, there is no degradation.

For quick answers try our Search!
To see me and Rob Lohman click here
Nathan Gifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2003, 01:00 AM   #203
Obstreperous Rex

Tony

<< canon cv-150f 4 pin dv cable >>

Don't buy that thing... it's way overpriced. Any generic 4-pin to 4-pin FireWire cable will do. If it says it's the IEEE1394 standard, then it's all you need.

<< If there is any loss will it be noticeable when I burn the copy onto a dvd recorder for the tv since dvd is only 480 lines? >>

No loss.

<< Will it matter if I record from a one chip camcorder to my three chip GL-1? >>

Nope. The recording section is pretty much the same on all 1-chip and 3-chip camcorders.

<< Is it true that the mini dv tapes can shed or loss quality like vhs tapes after being played back or recorded more than 4 or 5 times? >>

All tape-based media is prone to data loss through improper storage and handling. However DV tapes can be recorded over and played back many, many, many times. That said, if it's valuable video, record it once and don't re-record over it. Why bother with that, because tape is cheap! Dirt cheap. Even the best DV tape is inexpensive. So don't compromise, play it safe and record a tape once only unless you're just playing around. I've got a couple of tapes I use for practice shooting that have been re-recorded twelve or fifteen times. But my paying jobs are strictly one-pass affairs (and back-up copies to go with 'em). Hope this helps,

Old March 20th, 2003, 05:27 AM   #204
Wrangler

Some tests of DV transfer published in thelate 1990 went 100 generations of copying with no noticeable losses. The losses you get will be cumulation of efects of any drop outs and read errors on the tape - very different from analog formats like VHS, S-VHS, Hi8 and 8mm.
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2003, 11:08 PM   #205
Tourist

Gl1/gl2 filters

I have read that the GL1 has a 58mm that will fit most Tiffen still photo filters. I have heard good things with the enhancing filter. I dont know the size of the GL2 lens, but if it is that same i see no reason that it wouldnt work there too. I have not tried this myself, but I read about it in RES Magazine.
Justin Kroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2003, 11:47 PM   #206
Obstreperous Rex

The lens is one of only three things that did *not* change between the GL1 and GL2 (the other two things being Frame Movie mode and Optical Image Stabilization). The GL2 lens is identical to the GL1. Hope this helps,

Old March 23rd, 2003, 02:13 PM   #207
Regular Crew

Rent or borrow a GL-2

I'm going to Disney World with the family. First and probably last trip with my sons Grandmother around. We're leaving on the 21st of April.I have an XL-1 but the thing is just too darn big to use for this type of trip. The wife says I look like I'm shooting a feature film when I use it on family outings. (So what's the problem with that?) Anyway, I'm in the San Francisco Bay area. I'll sign an agreement that make me responsible for any damage. (Just for the record I'm horribly anal about my equipment, It will be in good hands.) If you are from my area I can loan you my XL-1 so you have a camera to use. It hase the 16x auto as well asthe 16x manual lens. Plus lots of accessories. Any other options would be appreciated. I'll pay for shipping if you are out of the area.

Regards,

David Mesloh
408-202-2214 cell
David Mesloh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2003, 10:13 PM   #208
Regular Crew

Dead pixel!!! no!!

Hi Mike,

There's a post where you wrote:
Testing:

Put the cap on the camera. Gain up to 18db. Set shutter speed to 1/8th a second.

Viewing:

Set monitor brightness to full bright so the blacks levels are washed. This way you see the full extent of the image.

If your using the LCD 2.5 screen Turn the brightness setting to full. Clear all data on screen.

Well I have a dead pixel, but only when the shutter is at 1/8 of a second. I have heard that some people get their cameras back worse. Can this dead pixel thing get worse? Should I even bother sending it in? I bought it just 10 days ago.
Cesar Ruiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2003, 07:24 PM   #209
Major Player

Making a smooth manual exposure adjustment while recording?

How can I smoothly make a not-to-noticeable manual exposure adjustment while recording? Whenever I shoot in manual there is always this very noticeable shift in exposure when I adjust my shutter speed or aperture, even when I do it very slowly, little by little. I am sure many of you have run into this problem. What is the way to fix it...if there is one?

Thanks
Scott Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2003, 11:38 PM   #210
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Scott,
To a very great degree this is a matter of judgement that comes from extensive practice and critical review of the practice.

Remember, though, that Manual mode is not the best solution for all situations or even most situations. In fact, it's generally a poor solution for live event coverage where the light may be unpredictable or erratic. Using Tv or Av will generally be a better choice in such situations.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders