GL / XM assorted posts, 2003 - Page 7 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old January 27th, 2003, 10:04 AM   #91
RED Code Chef

Where you in interlaced or progressive/frame mode?

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2003, 12:11 PM   #92
New Boot

This was in interlaced mode (no frame mode).
If I notice this in other situations, I'll post a recording online ...
Bart Saerens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2003, 12:32 PM   #93
Trustee

Bart

One guess would be that it has something to do with the light source-- it may be deviating slightly from the standard frequency (I believe 50hz in most of europe), thus causing a barely perceptible flicker at normal light levels-- It may be that under low light that the added gain in the camera's processing is enhancing this problem. Or what you are seeing is simply the camera noise while it trys to "re-create" the grey carpet in low light----this would typically be a mosaic of red green and blue pixels that would pulsate somewhat, but if you stand 10 feet away from the TV would look like a grey carpet.

Barry
Barry Goyette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2003, 05:51 AM   #94
Regular Crew

Effects of filters on lens, GL2

If I put a Tiffen Uv filter between my GL2 and my 58HD wide angle lens, Will it change the focal length or any other factor in the lens while I am shooting.
Thank you
This is a great forum, I just got my GL2.
Thomas
Old January 29th, 2003, 08:21 AM   #95
Regular Crew

I put a Hoya UV filter between my WD58H and the camera and shot a little bit with and without the filter...I saw no discernable difference. I might have seen a little tiny bit more barrel distortion with the UV filter on, but my eyes may have decieved me.
Jim Yang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2003, 08:39 AM   #96
Warden

Technically, yes, most filters change the focal length of the lens. B + W makes a big point of designing their filters not to effect the focal length. Leica (E. Leitz) also designs their filters not to effect focal length. In practical terms, it is usually not very noticeable. The change of focal length changes the DOF and how DOF scales and charts are applied.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2003, 07:11 AM   #97
Tourist

w/ XLR adapter: set audio on camera/adapter?

Hello,
I have a new GL-2 with a Sign Video XLR Pro adapter, enabling me to use a condenser lav mic. I have a question about where to manually adjust the audio levels: do I set the camera controls to maximum, and regulate the audio on the adapter, or do I set the levels on the adapter to maximum and adjust the audio levels on the camera? Does it make any difference at all? From my initial testing with headphones, I can't discern a difference. Thanks.
Chris
Christopher Giglio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2003, 07:16 AM   #98
New Boot

You should set the camera's audio levels to about 2/3 the way to max level and adjust with the xlr adapter. IF the audio isn't loud enough, then start turing up the camera's audio level. Some camera's have a slight distortion when they are cranked up all the way. That's why I say to START at 2/3 of max level. Charles
Charles Fields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2003, 06:55 PM   #99
New Boot

Sony ECM S959C

Hi folks,
i've found a dealer of the mic in subject.
I've to use it for live music recording with my personal XM1.
Do you think it's a good choise?
Thanks
Old February 1st, 2003, 09:11 AM   #100
New Boot

i will help you listening some audio tracks recorded with those microphone.
Enjoy your listening and write me back your impressions please
Bye

www.nomasi.com/rmbl/sndtrck001.html
Old February 1st, 2003, 03:21 PM   #101
Trustee

GL2 AV/TV Manual mode workflow???

Hey guys,

coming from using an XL1S and switching over to the GL2, I find myself in a small jam. I prefer the picture quality and sharpness of the GL2 but the control knobs or lack thereof are causing me some problems- let me explain;

today while shooting some vid of a hawk in a tree, the hawk moves from a light sky background and sometimes back into a shaded darker tree-limb background- the GL2 would try to expose correctly for whatever scene was being shot- going into manual mode is a bit of a pain as I have to press the Menu button then fumble through menus til i get the AV-TV M modes- because 1 button controls all these functions- my video is looking erratic as on the fly adjustements are a bit cumbersome to control smoothly. On the XL with the Iris and Shutter speeds being on different dials- you could theoretically change these settings on the fly and keep a constant video going without changing the look of the video drastically-......

...is there a workaround to having TV and AV on the same push dial? Or should I return this GL2 (only 2 days old) to B&H and get a Panasonic DVX?
(Pan has external Iris control etc)

1 dial performing both AV/TV is a bit of a drawback for my shooting style....I really hope some of you guys can explain how you shoot smoothly with your GL's in Manual mode while making changes while video is running....any words??
Thanks guys.
Old February 1st, 2003, 10:50 PM   #102
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Hello Steve,
Unfortunately there's no shortcut for switching program modes on the GL2. I, too, would like to see the GL2's mode selection placed on an analog control rather than a menu.

Hey, last I recall weren't you shooting with a JVC Streamcorder?

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2003, 08:20 PM   #103
Regular Crew

Recording Dialogue on the GL2 built in mic

I'm curious what everyone's experience is with recording dialogue on the GL2's built in mic. Is the sensitive enough to make the dialogue sound rich and dynamic? Does it sound warm and professional, or tinny and "home-video" like? Can you shoot a scene and expect respectable audio?

I plan to purchase a shotgun mic at some point in the future, but budget won't allow it for some time. I'd like to get some idea of whether this mic can handle the quality expectations one might have for filming a short movie or commercial.

Any opinions?
Noka Aldoroty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2003, 09:26 PM   #104
Trustee

Ken,

No- I was contemplating a Streamcorder and despite it's 700+ lines of resolution- it never did receive glowing reviews on- or offline.....

I did however buy a Panasonic AG DVX100 today.....and already I have 2 problems;

lack of zoom.....I think the DVX zooms around 5X or so, not good for the nature videography I like to do.....

secondly....my Firestore (which i was gonna sell) wont seem to accept commands from the DVX (DV)..I can get it to start recording, but I have to manually stop the recording process on the Firestore itself (button).not a good deal......
I've spent a ton of money on what is essentially a hobby for me ($7000 this week alone!) and I can't find the ideal setup (although the Apple 23" HD Cinema Display has been great).....if i can figure out how to get the Firestore and DVX to work erfectly (stop and start recording from the camcorder with no input to the FS unit itself) then i'd be a happy camper...as for the lack of zoom on the DVX, B&H tells me Century is working on an add-on lens to increase the zoom capabilities.....time will tell......

If Canon- put Shutter and aperature controls on the outside of the cam, the GL2 would have been perfect!!
So far the XL1S is the best for long range videography- improve the lens sharpness and it would be an all out winner.

...pluggin away with the FS and DVX til i got this stuff working right.
Old February 3rd, 2003, 03:55 AM   #105
Outer Circle

For TV, I don't think it's good enough. You don't need a shotgun mic to dub in voice. Get a mic for voice. I don't think they cost that much, unless you want the best.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders