GL / XM assorted posts, 2003 - Page 23 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old May 21st, 2003, 10:24 AM   #331
Regular Crew

Long Shots at the Sun

I'm going to be ordering a GL2 from Zotz this weekend. I am planning on trying to shoot an hour long shot of a sunset or sunrise. I would then speed this up to a fast timelapse in post. My concern is how this is possible without damaging the CCD on the camera. The only totally safe option I have come up with is the physically extensive method of doing frame captures every 30-60 seconds and using cardboard or something to cover the lense in between.

Can this be safely done with UV and ND filters? Seems like it have been done before with some type of camera in even more light that near dust or dawn, when you see time lapse of the sun crossing the frame with clouds moving by.
Joe Sacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2003, 10:31 AM   #332
Regular Crew

Gl2 Lighting and other problems

I shot with the Gl2 for a few days while my Gl1 was getting repaired. It looks like I'll have to get the Gl2 since they are going to swap them since the Gl1 is under the lemon clause and it is the only three chip cam they have to replace it. The problem is from the few days that I used the Gl2 it seems like a downgrade.

When shooting in subjects without the sun behind me it was very difficult to get the lighting correct. The subjects always were too bright or too dark using the auto exposure shift and the exposure button. With the Gl1 I usually was able to get the proper lighting by keeping the ae on +.5 and putting the exposure on about +1 to +5 depending on where the sun was. Is there a way to stay in auto focus and have good lighting with the Gl2? Some of the problem may be with the skin tones as discussed before but since I'm a little color blind it's hard for me to know.

The viewfinder is bad. The field of vision is even less than the Gl1. Putting the bigger one on helped some but it is still smaller vertically.

On the positive it is a little lighter and the picture quality would be a little better if I can get the lighting fixed.

Will Canon put out a Gl3 this year or wait another year or so?

Thanks,
Tony
Tony Marino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2003, 10:47 AM   #333
RED Code Chef

There is already a thread on this.

I'm closing this one. Please continue the discussion there.
Thanks.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2003, 04:45 PM   #334
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Tony,
I shot with a GL1 for quite some time until getting a GL2 last year. I can say that the GL2 is certainly no downgrade; quite the contrary. But I will also say that it's also not the same camera as the GL1. Like any new camera it just takes some dedicated practice to learn its nuances and its best uses. Start with the factory-default settings and work your way through all of the new tweaks available. I would leave the ae setting at neutral for now, and most of the time.

I have not heard of any plans for a successor to the GL2 in the immediate future.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2003, 07:09 AM   #335
Major Player

The GL2 is an upgrade from the GL1. There are more exposure options, the focus ring is more sensitive and there are audio meters and level controls for both channels. Unless you were wearing headphones all the time, there was no way of knowing if you were recording audio with the GL1.
Bob
Bob Harotunian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2003, 12:47 AM   #336
Tourist

Canon Speedlight 540ez & GL2

Anyone know if the 540EZ flash will work on the GL2?
Bill Briare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2003, 05:03 AM   #337
Warden

I think the camera requires the EX series. The EZ series is for older EOS cameras. It will not work, to the best of my knowledge.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2003, 05:40 PM   #338
New Boot

Recording date and time onto tape

I bought GL-2 partially for the Character Recording capability on this camera. But so far I have not able to record "only" the date/time onto it. Actually I could record other information (useless to me) but date/time. Will anyone shed some light on me. What am I missing here?
Thanks in advance.
Max Chau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2003, 10:30 PM   #339

Max,
See this thread. I think you'll find it helpful.

Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

Old May 27th, 2003, 12:25 PM   #340
Major Player

GL2 menu settings for external mics

I am using an external mic without Canon's adapter (plugged right in to the port on the side). The manual does not address this (I guess to sell more adapters) and I can't get the on board mic to shut off when I'm using my shot gun.

Can anyone tell me how to shut off the onboard mic?
Alex Dunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2003, 01:56 PM   #341
Major Player

Alex,

As soon as you plug a mic in the jack, it should disconnect (physically I beleive) the built in mic. If that is not happening, service is indicated! Anything that you do using menus would affect both mics equally so there would be no way to isolate the on camera mic.

When you use an external mic (usually mono) you would expect to only see one channel of audio on the VU meters. Thats a pretty good indication that the external plug is connected correctly. If you still have both channels indicating (unless your mono mic is wired to both left and right) then I suspect your external mic may not even be providing an input to the camera.
Rob Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2003, 03:58 PM   #342
Tourist

GL2 Wireless Mics

This may have been covered before, but does anyone have a good recommendation for a wireless handheld mic for my GL2? Since the GL2 is "stereo" can the camera receive 2 wireless signals? Also, nobody seems to know which type of headphones works best with the GL2 - impedence etc?
Joseph Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2003, 05:00 PM   #343

Hello Joseph,
You'll often see members remarking that they have had good experiences with Sennheiser's Evolution systems. Audio-Technica also has an excellent system, their U100 series, that also features a handheld mic plug-on modulre. (I have the system but not the module for the handheld mic.)

Regarding headphones, I've been a big fan of the Sony MDR-7506's and their slightly more compact MDR-7505's.

Old May 27th, 2003, 06:10 PM   #344
New Boot

ouch!..I almost killed my xm2's firewire port!

Hi Guy's great forum!
Me and my partner have been creating some stopmotion animation for a short film we are making using the xm2. So far the cameras performance rocks. We only had a one chip mini dv camera before( no comparison at all) We have been shooting directly into premiere via fire wire and also previewing to another computer via svideo for our low res animation loop.

Everything was going great until I stepped on the firewire cable and crunch!......The camera was fixed strongly on the tripod and the computer was siting on the table directly behind it. I bent the firewire socket on the back of our xm2 aswell as the fire wire cable aswell as the firewire card in the computer! I can tell you I was not a happy camper and neither was my parner when she returned back.

(We have only had the camera for two weeks and we both love it .........so it took us a while to come to grips with our first xm2 nightmare)

So......anyway luckily it still holds in and it still works by it's self but it is very very loose.

Our solution to anyone out there doing any filming with cables running off your xm2 or any camera for that matter...... is to gaffa tape everything to the tripod arm and don't risk any cables being ripped out of their sockets. This is what we will do for evey shot from now on.

Writing this down has given me a head ache!

Anyone else had similar or worse experiances.....might make me feel better.

Miles
Miles Blow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2003, 06:59 PM   #345
New Boot

Will my mic fit in ma-300 adptor?

hi guy's
Just wondering if anyone can tell me if my mic sony(ecm-ms957) will fit in the ma-300 adaptor? In the manual it says that the ma-300 can take a 25mm wide mic.......the sony is 32mm wide....but I was hopeing that I could maybe replace the screw with a longer one so it could take any extra thickness? Would thuis be possible?

Any answers would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Miles
Miles Blow is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders