GL / XM assorted posts, 2003 - Page 29 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old June 25th, 2003, 12:41 AM   #421

It would be a 2.5mm "sub-mini" "mono" or "TS (Tip-Seleeve)" male connector, with the +5vDC wired to the tip, sleeve left open. Not sure what the exact amount of milliamps is outputted, but it's a small amount.

- don
CREATE and NETWORK with http://www.bosfcpug.org
and also http://fcpugnetwork.org
Don Berube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2003, 02:31 PM   #422
Regular Crew

Color Temp of Preset White Balance Settings

Does anyone know what the color temps are of the preset white balance settings are? I'm refering to the Indoor and Outdoor settings on the Canon GL2.
Old June 25th, 2003, 08:27 PM   #423
New Boot

Outputting edited tape onto mini DV tape

After I have edited my tape into a highlight "movie" how do I play it back through a TV?
Do I do this directly from the pc?
Is there a way to record it onto a mini DV tape, then play it from the camera's VCR to the TV?
Gerald Goulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2003, 09:43 PM   #424
Regular Crew

You should be able to output back to miniDV with the same app that you use for capture of miniDV into the computer. In addition, you can output DV to the camcorder and record ony VHS fron the camera. Or you can hook your camcorder to your TV and play DV directly from the computer, through the camcorder, to the TV.
Joe Sacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2003, 07:46 AM   #425
Tourist

capture: field dominance with Frame mode?

Hello,
I'm beginning to import video shot in Frame mode from my GL-2 using FCP connected via a firewire cable. Looking through the FCP manual, it states "For DV captured via FireWire; always set field dominance to Lower (Even.) For non-interlaced video set the field dominance to None." In my understanding, Video shot in Frame mode is both DV and non-interlaced, so I'm not sure how to set the field dominance. Thanks for any help.
Chris

(I'm cross-posting this on the NLE thread too.)
Christopher Giglio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2003, 10:22 AM   #426
Regular Crew

Tape Quality...?

Alright, I have another question. What is the average life of a DV tape. As in, recording over old footage numerous times. How many times could you use a tape till it goes bad? I only have 6 tapes and I find myself taping over footage that I have already captured onto my computer. Mainly because spending $15-20 a week on tapes is sort of high since I just got out of highschool and I still have no job.
David Woodland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2003, 11:07 AM   #427
Old Boot

Try the search facility - I did! Came up with a load of stuff.

David try this:-

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...t=tape+quality
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2003, 02:05 AM   #428
Regular Crew

Audio noise from tape transport

Hi,

I just received my second XM2 (first had a WB fualt) and I have noticed this cam has a real bad audio noise from tape transport problem. It makes a machanical grinding noise like wooweewoowoo in a loop.(how do you discribe noise? :)) It's very noticable on the recording. Have I gone and got another lemon?

Cheers,
Will
Will Nuttall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2003, 04:34 AM   #429
Regular Crew

Hard to tell if this is normal without actually hearing it. I'd say if it's much louder than your first XM2, it might be a problem.
Is it really that loud once recorded onto tape using bilt-in mics?
Vladimir Koifman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2003, 09:30 AM   #430
Regular Crew

Yeah, very loud. Can hear it very clearly on final recording and through headphones when monitoring. I can even feel the vibration through the cam when I'm holding it. I think It's time for the VX2000.
Will Nuttall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2003, 10:37 AM   #431
Regular Crew

no audio noise

I hear no audio noise on my GL-2. I use an azden shotgun quite often but I don't recall hearing anything even with the built-in mic and video I've created has no discernable audio noise. If you have discernible noise you might have it looked at by Canon. If it's under warranty, have it looked at for sure. Canon's work seems to be reasonably priced. I dropped and killed my little ZR10 and it's being fixed for under $130, which isn't bad.
I think somebody's at the door. Hard to tell without my hearing aid. :)
Old June 28th, 2003, 11:50 PM   #432
New Boot

GL1/GL2 new user, new to forums as well

Hey guys.. I had a GL1 but sold it because it had a dead pixel (red, left side). Purchased a GL2. Haven't received it yet.. but I need to know a lot of things about it.. primarily:

1. What are the odds with the dead pixel thing? Do any other brand of DV camcorders have as frequent of a dead pixel problem as Canon's GL1/GL2?

2. I got the GL2 on Ebay.... new with warranty... and one of those "starter" kits.. had a couple I guess generic lenses (wide angle and 2x), three century optics filters, hard case, etc. Was $2315 a deal, that includes shipping? The person had a very good feedback.. only 40 negs out of like 6556 or something... and most of them were from way back.

3. I am so paranoid that this GL2 is going to have a dead pixel. I wanted to get a 4-year extended warranty but I guess you can't get that anywhere except J+R Music/Computer World. But for 2250, I'd rather have the extras.. extras are always good.

I guess that's it.... any GL1/GL2 users, please get back to me ASAP... the main thing I need to know is if other DV camcorders have the dead pixel thing happening often on the CCD's.... doesn't seem like any Sonys do that... correct me if I'm wrong... I'm new to the whole DV world.. I'm heavily into indie filmmaking (thought-provoking stuff) and scoring my own indie stuff (in a band in the vein of Sneaker Pimps, Portishead, etc.).... use Adobe Premiere 6.5 on a PC 1ghz processor, 512 ram, 120 gig hard drive space (40 and 80).

I've loved the GL1 til the dead pixel thing... shoots great footage, totally. But are there any other 3-chip camcorders out there that do not have a dead pixel problem? That may be a little cheaper? $1500 instead of $2300, anything like that..? I haven't paid the guy yet for the GL2, so I dunno. I could back out of the purchase, even though it would make my negative feedback suck and stuff..... please let me know any info you guys and girls can give, thanks a bunch!
Skip Frederiksen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2003, 12:04 AM   #433
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Hello Skip,
There are 2 varieties of "dead pixels"; the viewfinder's lcd and the ccd's. The former may be annoying but does not affect the image. The latter appears in the image.

I've no idea about the "odds", but their occurence has little, if anything, to do with the brand of the camera. It occasionally happens to all makes and models of cameras (including much, much more expensive cameras). In both types of situations it's just a matter of possibillity, like prematurely flat tires. CCD pixel problems can sometimes be repaired by a masking process or, more drastically and expensively, by replacing the CCD block.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2003, 12:08 AM   #434
New Boot

hmm

Thanks Ken.. it's tough. Sigh.. I was really let down by the GL1's dead pixel (which does appear in the image, not just on LCD)... it's incredibly annoying, so I sold it. Didn't want to spend $700 to get it fixed. I'll let the buyer deal with that.

So I guess I shoulf go for the GL2 and stuff... man, I just hate the thought it might happen again. I like Canon's stuff though. Was debating on getting a Sony VX2000 but I dunno... Soderbergh uses the XL1s on Full Frontal and I was like, well.. Canon's good enough for me. :)

I like the extras that are present on the GL2... audio, time lapse, slower shutter speeds.. good stuff, all. I have a Beachtek XLR adapter which works wonderfully with my ME66.

Man I am tired. Need sleep. :) Thanks again, and it's great to be here.

Anyone else have any info? Please give me your insight.
Skip Frederiksen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2003, 06:34 AM   #435
Regular Crew

Music video shoot on a beach!

Hi Guys

I'm new to this forum and also a new owner of a Canon XM2 (PAL).

I've had the XM1 for 3 years and shot quite a few reality documentaries on it, but I'm due to shoot a music video on a beach. I'd like to use the Cokin filter system on the 58mm ring on the front of the camera for a polarising and blue grad filter but has anybody used this and what results did you get.

Also, any advice on styles and shooting tips for this scenario would be helpful - ie. Lip Sync, Tracking shots tips etc etc

Thanks for your advice in advance.

Regards

Jonathan

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders