GL / XM assorted posts, 2003 - Page 38 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old August 19th, 2003, 12:08 PM   #556
Major Player

I have a Cokin Sunsoft (warming) filter that I have used on my GL2, to good effect. I also have a gradual ND, ND2, & Blue Cokin filters. These were originally purchased with a 37 -> 52 step up, because I was using a Sony TRV-120 (Digital8) camera, but with a 58mm adapter, they fit my GL2.
Frank Ladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2003, 12:44 PM   #557
Outer Circle

Same here. I have a Sunsoft in the 43mm size, as well as others. The Cokin filters with the adaptor offers a great filter solution on the cheap. It's like a mini matte box. I have a good Cokin users link at:

http://www.dvfreak.com/filters.htm
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2003, 04:35 PM   #558
Obstreperous Rex

Bruce

All I can tell you is that in my opinion there's most likely nothing wrong with your GL2. You're just seeing the stark differences between tape mode and card mode. Many of the camera's parameters including exposure, etc. are seriously limited in card mode. Why this is I don't know, but your manual will clearly spell out what the limitations of card mode are. Card mode is definitely not suited for indoor low-light situations, that's for sure. Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2003, 06:44 PM   #559
Major Player

Ok,l'll hone down this query.....

1)In card mode what can you do to adjust the level of light and what page of the manual should I be looking at?

2)Is there a source where I can reasonably extend my warranty beyond the initial term backed up by Canon without possibly getting gouged?

Thanks.....

Bruce
Bruce Pelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2003, 12:30 PM   #560
Regular Crew

Dark edges on video shot with GL2...

I think I have an idea on what caused the problem, but not really.

Not too long ago I was in dying need of tapes and had to purchase 2 Sony premiums(Have used nothing but Panasonic ever since I picked my camera up until now). After I used the two tapes I notice that my captured footage had dark edges on all four corners of the piture. It kind of forms a gradient from black to transparent and disappears into the picture. It isn't big, but deifnately noticeable. It doesn't show up when I'm filming with the camera, only when captured. I also noticed that when I zoomed in the picture got even darker, so it kind of covered the picture more and more when I zoomed in and got brighter while I zoomed out. Is there a problem with the camera or do I jsut need to run a head cleaner through it?

I am going to pick up a head cleaner tomorrow since I am pretty sure that this will solve the problem, but I'm not sure which kind of cleaner I should get. Wet or dry, which brand?

PS: There wasn't a lens on at the time, so it isn't vignetting.
Ryan Krga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2003, 12:49 PM   #561
Regular Crew

Since you're using Panasonic tapes I suggest a dry cleaner tape from Panasonic.

run you from $10.00 - $11.00

--William
Old August 20th, 2003, 01:04 PM   #562
Trustee

Do a search on this. There was a similar discussion about the same problem a while back, but I forget the eventual outcome.
Imran Zaidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2003, 05:22 PM   #563
Trustee

Ryan, this is a "standard" "effect" of the GL2's. It's called keyholing and it varies from camera to camera. I have it on my Xm2, and I am taking it it to see if something can be done about it as I find it unacceptable.

Were you shooting in lower light with the Sony tapes as I have found that when in lower light the effect is more pronounced. You probably wont see it in the viewfinder/lcd because of the overscan that those viewing devices have - you can't see all the frame.

Go to http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...gl2+vignetting for the thread.

Cheers
Aaron
Old August 21st, 2003, 09:14 AM   #564
Tourist

Cleaning GL-1/XL-1

Couple of questions.....

Using head cleaning tapes on the XL-1 and GL-1....

....how often?

I realize they can damage heads, but when horizontal lines interrupt an important shoot, you don't know until it's over.

Experiences from users?

OK....we've got 2 XL-1's and 3 GL-1's and somebody ran a wet cleaning cassette (Sony) through these cameras a number of times after they were acclimated to a dry cleaning cassette (Panasonic/Canon).

So.....stripes over video everywhere.

Do I need to send these in to Canon to be cleanedcorrectly or is there a way I can handle it myself?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Al Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2003, 05:21 PM   #565
New Boot

Just got my brand new GL2 but...

There's a problem.

The LCD screen doesn't work!!! It's just white. Nothing else, just white. Plus the camera acts weird about the LCD screen and the EVF. The EVF will only work when the screen is open, which is backwards from every other camera I've ever used. I'm assuming this is just a random lemon, but I wanted to know if anyone else has experienced this or heard of this before? I'm obviously getting it replaced but I'm still kinda pissed cause I was really looking forward to shooting this weekend. :(
Trevor Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2003, 05:23 PM   #566
Old Boot

XM2 Position for Senni WR Rx?

Okay, got the Senni Evolution Kit. Where can a stick the Rx on the XM2?

Brackets? Velcro? Super Glue? Spit!! - Chewing Gum?

. . . get the picture? The Sound from this set up is awesome!

All I need to do now is somehow attached the receiver to the XM2. I don't wish to "fix" it to my trouser belt - yeah?

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2003, 05:27 PM   #567
Old Boot

You know what to expect. Screen out 'Image'. That's it! Go with your gut instincts on this one - Lemons are for tea, salad dressing, marinated lamb and those nice french tartlets - yeah?

Grazie
Old August 21st, 2003, 07:17 PM   #568
Outer Circle

He's saying it's a lemon, a dud, and suggesting that you should return it because lemons should be only used"for tea, salad dressing, marinated lamb and those nice french tartlets" Personally, I prefer my lemons as ice cold lemonade. :)

Click here: http://www.dvfreak.com/dah.gif
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2003, 08:44 AM   #569
Old Boot

Grazie Gets Solution!

Neat idea over at the Cow Canon Site. It confirmed the way I wanted to go:

http://www.creativecow.net/forum/rea...975&forumid=59

No one replied . . but I thought I'd share this with you all . . kinda guy I am . . .

<wink>

Grazie
Old August 23rd, 2003, 12:09 PM   #570
Inner Circle

Mini-rover, mini-mate combo is elegant, but pricey solution.

http://www.dvshop.ca/camera/videosmith.html
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders