GL / XM assorted posts, 2003 - Page 47 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old October 7th, 2003, 09:24 PM   #691
Regular Crew

So did you buy this and try it out?
BJ Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2003, 10:53 PM   #692
Old Boot

3 Tapes? ;-)

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2003, 11:26 PM   #693
Major Player

Hi,

Just got my XM2, decided to purchase after reading a lot of the previous threads on this forum. Thanks for all the feedback to the questions regarding live gigs etc.

Looks a great Cam and I look forward to finding out all the features in time, you may see a lot more as I delve into the nitty gritty.
Old October 8th, 2003, 07:16 AM   #694
Trustee

Welcome aboard Alan. I hope you enjoy your new camera and feel free to ask all the questions you want, thats what we're here for.
Adrian Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2003, 07:59 AM   #695
Major Player

Thanks Adrian,

I am off out tonight to a pre-wedding meeting so will use the XM2 and accessories to record. Will then review/edit in Edition5.5 tomorrow, stand by for the questions.
Old October 8th, 2003, 09:52 AM   #696
Regular Crew

idea

if i stop the first tape before it gets to the end, and can fit on two tapes, that is what i will do, or just hook up to my xl1s, that one doesn't do it

thanx all
419-696-0872
Trig Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2003, 11:41 AM   #697
Tourist

Water Proof

I will be shooting from a small boat and it will be easy for me and the camera (GL1) to get wet. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to keep the camera from getting wet. I was looking at the camera rain covers but was not sure if that would protect the camera if it were hit with alot of water at once. Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks in advance
Old October 8th, 2003, 12:03 PM   #698
Wrangler

Dive shops usually have all kinds camera protection. The best protection from water is to shoot in the desert.

For quick answers try our Search!
To see me and Rob Lohman click here
Nathan Gifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2003, 12:06 PM   #699
Regular Crew

A Lowepro Dryzone 200 is an excellent bag for keeping the GL2 dry when not in use. However, if you are more concerned about the camera when you are shooting, I would get insurance! I was raised on a sailboat, and water can come from just about anywhere.
Brad Higerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2003, 12:53 PM   #700
Old Boot

Nathan, problem there is that you got sand and wind! - Can't win eh? ;-)

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2003, 08:03 PM   #701
Regular Crew

GL2 with rosco swatch book

Can anyone tell me how to use the rosco book,I am new to this obviously as you can tell.Any pointers would be appreciated.
Old October 8th, 2003, 10:23 PM   #702
Trustee

This is one that can't be easily answered in a forum, as the uses of the rosco filter line are so broad. If you have a few hours, or days...you will be able to read about virtually every filter in rosco's line at their website

http://www.rosco.com/main.html

click on the guide to color filters which will give you a pdf that has a lot of quick data...although it is skewed more toward theatrical users....or...

click on the technotes section to be overwhelmed by the amount of information that they have made available to the industry about their products. Don't be too freaked out about what's there, most of us would never use even 10% of the filters that they offer, nor understand most of the data associated with it...the ones to be concerned with on a technical level are the light balancing filters CTO, CTB, FLD etc and the diffusion materials, these are the most standard materials that many photographers, cinematographers and grips can recite off the top of their heads...the bulk of the rest are primarily special effect color filters that....well...if its a red filter...it will make your light turn red...if its purple...it will make your light more purple....straw...straw...and so on.

Welcome to the world of light control....you'll never be satisfied with "natural" light again.

Barry
Barry Goyette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2003, 03:30 PM   #703
New Boot

video book

I have quite a few books on videography, but I have to be honest in saying that none of them have been as good as the two instructional videos I ordered from www.elitevideo.com. They're titled Advanced Broadcasters Camera Techniques. Don't let broadcasters scare you, the techniques are good for broadcasters, videographers, and home movie makers.

As for the technical side, I would just use the Canon GL2 manual and ask lots of questions on this board. Read the manual from cover to cover and get to know your camera. It's too bad that Canon has not put a instuctional video for using their camera, but the manual is the next best thing in terms of the technical side.

Hope this helps.
Bakari Chavanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2003, 05:11 PM   #704
Regular Crew

Thanks Barry,
I will check this out.
Old October 13th, 2003, 01:12 PM   #705
Regular Crew

DM-50 - Tinny sound??

Anybody else have the DM-50 and notice that the sound is really "tinny on it?? I just shot a live concert, there was plenty of bass coming through the bands speakers, I shot on the GL2 using the DM-50 in shotgun mode and the resulting sound was relly good, but there was almost no bass at all. It's not a big problem, I can fix it in post, but just wondering if anyone else has noticed this, also would it make a diffrence if I had shot it with one of the 2 stereo modes instead of shotgun??

www.jcmediaservices.com
www.kickbacktracks.com
Royalty Free Video Production Loops!
Jason Casey is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders