GL / XM assorted posts, 2003 - Page 54 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old November 21st, 2003, 07:56 PM   #796
Warden

I posted a reply in your other thread here.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2003, 05:34 AM   #797
Regular Crew

Showscan

Douglass Trumball used a filming techique called Showscan (I think it was on 70 mm) in which shooting was done at 1/60 of a second. The effects were almost surrealistic.

Motion at 1/60 appeared to be "slower" than when shot at higher speeds of 1/90, 1/120. etc.

1/60 of a second seems to work well in frame mode. I am curious as to whether or not it well present well in normal mode compared to the speeds a still photographer would use. (1/500 to 1/1000), particularly when looking for quality, sharpness and the ability to get high quality slow motion.

Any thoughts???

Thanks in advance,

Al
Alan Van Vliet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2003, 03:57 PM   #798
New Boot

cuz 1/60 is a slower shutter speed than 1/90 , 1/120 etc
Steve Iacono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2003, 02:40 PM   #799
Tourist

Will this battery work on my GL2?

I'm thinking of purchasing a battery off eBay. It says its compatible with the GL1 and XL1 but doesn't list the GL2. Will it still work?
Josh Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2003, 02:43 PM   #800
Trustee

Yes, GL and XL series share the same type of battery. Any of the BP-xx batteries (or equivalents) will work on your GL2.
Old November 23rd, 2003, 05:56 PM   #801
Regular Crew

Settings for streaming media

Hey all,
I'm going to shoot a short video for a manufacturing company. They want a 1-2 minute video showing the various things they do and build at the facility. The video will only be shown in a streaming format on their website. Using my trusty GL2, what settings should I shoot in? I was thinking 16:9, Frame mode, and 1/60th sec. Any advice or tips would be greatly appriciated.

Thanks

Scott
Scott Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2003, 07:36 PM   #802
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

The issue is less about camera settings than it is about how the piece is composed, how well it is lit, how well your control contrast and how carefully you control camera and subject movement. "Streaming" is actually all about compression and trying to avoid distortion caused by mistakes in the above attributes.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2003, 09:27 PM   #803
Regular Crew

how wide?

I'm getting a wide angle for my gl2 for Christmas.

I know the wd-58 is about the best, but I don't know if it's wide enough. It says it has to barrel distortion, but what about when it gets super close? I want a wide angle, that at extreme close ups fisheyes.

I can get a .5 or .3 but am concerned they may look too fisheye all the time and be sickening. Any advice?

I mostly film climbing, where the lens is no more than 2 feet away from the person, and the regular lens doesn't fit much in the frame. Thanks for any help.

-Ryan
Ryan McCrary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2003, 01:02 AM   #804
Regular Crew

this is a 0.5

the entire shoot for this wedding is done with a vitacom 0.5mm om a xm2.
http://www.hemadeus.com/marceulindra
Yow Siang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2003, 12:02 PM   #805
Regular Crew

control camera and subject movement

In streaming, that is the key. The irony is that in streaming video, the less movement you have, the better. Of course you can't avoid all movement, and you wouldn't want to.

The way compression works is that it analyzes the frames for changes, and only modifies the pixels that have changed from one frame to the next. Every so many frames it redraws the entire frame.

This is the keyframe, and their frequency can be set in the compression settings. More keyframes means smoother video, but at the cost of a larger file size. In streaming this translates to needing more bandwidth to see the stream.

So, in addition to avoiding unnecessary movement, you also want to avoid overly busy backgrounds (where even a slight change in the background could cause a total frame redraw). Camera movement is the culprit here.

If you do a multi camera shoot, or edit the footage prior to compressing for streaming, you'll want to avoid dissolves and wipes. Straight cuts will serve you and the compression better than the fancy editing.

In summary:

- Carefully control camera and subject movement
- Keep backgrounds simple - all one color if possible
- use straight cuts when editing
Old November 26th, 2003, 06:40 PM   #806
Major Player

image stabilizer GL-2/ XL-1

Is the amount and quality of image stabilzation the same with both cameras? Thanks, Craig Hollenback
Craig Hollenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2003, 09:29 PM   #807
Obstreperous Rex

The Optical Image Stabilization in the XL1/XL1S is a different type than the GL1/GL2. However, you cannot perceive any visual difference between them in the video. Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2003, 11:01 PM   #808
Regular Crew

My GL2 only plays back JVC tapes?

My GL2 now only plays back JVC tapes. After using Maxell for a month I switched to JVC because I couldn't find Maxell tapes in bulk (which I needed at the time) and I've been using JVC tapes since, so it's been about 5 months.

So anyway, I put in an old tape that I would like to review, and it doesn't play. Well it plays, but the camera thinks it's blank. I know there's info on the tapes (I actually labeled them) I put in another older Maxell tape, same thing happens. And another, same thing.

So I put back in a new JVC tape which I had just played yesterday without problems, and it doesn't play either. After a few minutes, however, footage starts to appear. It looks like this

After awhile that goes away, and I can play back the tape normally. So I tried a Maxell tape again. The whole process repeats. I can't get any type of tape other than JVC to play on the camera.

Funny thing is, the camera just had its heads cleaned (or so Canon told me when I sent it in for repairs.) so I'm baffled at what could be causing this. Any ideas?
Steve Withers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2003, 02:57 AM   #809
Inner Circle

You should use a cleaning tape before you change to another brand of tape.

That might be the reason your Maxell doesn't work.

If that doesn't work, it is problably time for a new service.

Change of tape brands has been discussed in many threads here, so you might do a search to find more useful info.
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2003, 03:03 AM   #810
Outer Circle

Yes, the pic shows the typical results of dirty heads.

http://www.dvfreak.com/tape.htm
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders