Gl2-expensive issues at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon GL2, GL1 and PAL versions XM2, XM1.

Old February 26th, 2007, 03:36 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Gl2-expensive issues

Sent my Gl2 to cannon after having problems with what I thought were the heads, only to be informed today that it is a "electrical board" crash and will cost $1,000 to fix. What shocks me is I have only used this camera on one shoot and it is only two years old. Has anyone had problems with the Gl2? I have no choice but to fix it.
Tim Agnew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2007, 05:18 PM   #2
Old Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Agnew
Sent my Gl2 to cannon after having problems with what I thought were the heads, only to be informed today that it is a "electrical board" crash and will cost $1,000 to fix. What shocks me is I have only used this camera on one shoot and it is only two years old. Has anyone had problems with the Gl2? I have no choice but to fix it.
How could you have a 2 year old camera and only have used it on 1 shoot?

I've got 2 XM2s and about 400 60miniDV tapes.

I've not heard of a board blow?

Has somebody else owned/used the camera? Are you the first and only owner?
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2007, 10:38 PM   #3
Inner Circle

The only readily fashion to destroy a board is to have it hit by an electrical charge, even static could do it. you could also have the problem if it managed to get wet inside. Usually water inside means buy a new camera.
its a pretty expensive camera to use once ever couple years. Perhaps buy a more economical one.
As in all electronics, once you start having electronics issues they seem to get worse as time passes by.
Old February 26th, 2007, 11:25 PM   #4
Regular Crew

interested?

Hey are you interested in buying a new Gl2 instead of getting this one fixed. I have a package I want to get rid off, I don't know if it's legal to post an ebay add but here it is (please don't ban me) :) : http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...3267&rd=1&rd=1
Dmitry Yun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2007, 08:34 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Dale:

no, I'm not aware that any of those things happened-I've been very careful with it other than forgetting to clean the heads. I did change tapes from Sony to Panasonic. And I did not mean to imply I've only used the camera "once;" I've used it many times on small projects but just recently on an imortant shoot. I'm not in the business but we do all in-house video for my company. I believe I'm sunk and have to repair it-
I have seen other posts here of the same issue, though. Many circuit board failures. Hmmm?
Old February 27th, 2007, 11:04 AM   #6
Regular Crew

i think you have just been unlucky. some damp must of got on the board somehow, or maybee yours was a rogue model, i have not had any problems yet... and dread the day! Your XM is a good camera, dont let the devil get u down!
Old February 27th, 2007, 07:17 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Now I know: condensation. I live in Fl so the hummidity is intense. Had the Gl2 with me on the west coast in Aug and recall getting the message that there was condensation. Got to be more careful. thanks
Old February 28th, 2007, 07:55 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Agnew View Post
Now I know: condensation. I live in Fl so the hummidity is intense. Had the Gl2 with me on the west coast in Aug and recall getting the message that there was condensation. Got to be more careful. thanks
advice i picked up from this site...
Silica gell, pack your camera bag with loads of it. Shoe shops may give u some for free.
Leave bag to acclimitise and get to room temp for couple of hours before opening it.
yr stuffed if u want to film the airport, or getting off plane like!
Old March 21st, 2007, 05:25 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Tim,

What were the symptoms? I had a "fatal" problem that I posted here last year with my GL-2, but the whole catastrophic failure was only a disconected ribbon to the board. Not to say Cannon is pulling yourleg but I would be interested to know wha the symptoms were!

Thanks
Bradley D Barber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2007, 05:58 PM   #10
Regular Crew

First, I noticed some blank tapes after recording, along with grey bars over footage. Then, the LCD would not show any footage, just blue screen. I'm fortunate that I got through this past shoot with no problems before it went out. In my case, there was definitely condensation.
Tim Agnew is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon GL Series DV Camcorders