A few nagging Optura Xi Q.s - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > Canon Optura Junior Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon Optura Junior Watchdog
High-end affordable consumer 1-CCD camcorders. PAL users invited!

Old February 4th, 2005, 02:36 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Hello Earon,

I do not have any kind of server space to put any video files. Do you have any ideas? I could do a WM9 file, that would be a little less resolution, but would be a lot smaller than a raw DV file. You could still see the dramatic processing difference that way.

Also, I do mean to update my Optura Xi web page, and put some before /after still frame grabs up there. I have just been totally swamped for time lately, and will be out of town again all weekend. ( I have to type these posts in on the quick while I’m at work….) I hope this doesn’t sound like I’m giving an excuse, to try to back out of validating my statements above, about all the filters. I will see what I can do about getting some frame grabs up in the next week or so, time willing.
Kevin
Old February 6th, 2005, 01:30 AM   #17
Wrangler

Kevin,

I've been playing around with the auto-levels and smoother, very nice! I'll post some footage in another thread.
Old April 5th, 2005, 06:24 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Best Carrying case for the XI

I bought the SC-A60 with the XI. I couldnt tell from the picture, but it is extremly small and can only carry the camera itself and only a few accessories. Is there a good case that can fit the XI very snuggly and hold much accesories?
Old April 6th, 2005, 07:46 PM   #19
Wrangler

I like to have a case for every item, then I can pack them all into a larger bag.

I use a large lens case to hold the Xi. I have one from Lowe Pro and one from t.64. Both can hold the Xi with a BP-535 battery and WA lens snugly. Both can be slung my shoulder for quick draw action, or the case can be thrown into a larger bag/backpack.
Old May 28th, 2005, 03:37 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Any films shot on the Xi?

If so can you post links? Another thing I'd like to see is uncompressed. Anyone have either?

I can't find anything with the Xi...
Old May 29th, 2005, 02:44 PM   #21
Regular Crew

not many people actually use this camera for films..dont get me wrong its a awesome camera, i've seen a few music videos around here shot with it...actually i've done a music video myself with it http://www.ifilm.com/ifilmdetail/2659341 if you have AIM i could send you a few seconds of uncompressed footage.
Old May 30th, 2005, 11:16 PM   #22
Regular Crew

I've done one music video and one very simple short film. The music video is an mpeg4 file at

https://webspace.utexas.edu/rjs539/www/

and the short is on a free short film site called www.triggerstreet.com (must join though) and is called Just Before Noon.
Old May 31st, 2005, 02:12 AM   #23
Regular Crew

XI bag

I'm not sure if this bag is much better, but you be the judge
http://www.eastcoastphoto.com/nav/it...id=266&hid=349
Old May 31st, 2005, 09:34 AM   #24
Regular Crew

Riley,

Would you be willing to share your output settings? The music video looked great, by the way. And only 8+MB! Seems like no matter what settings I choose in QT, I end up with huge files. I have a 4 minute film shot with an Optura 30 that was 20MB using QT7 H.264, but when I chose MP4, it became 100MB!

John
Old May 31st, 2005, 11:52 PM   #25
Regular Crew

I actually can make it even smaller now and look better with some settings a kind person gave me. I use Final Cut's built in compressor with these settings for the most part for internet compression (sometimes takes a little tweaking).

OUTPUT - .mov, flatten/cross-platform/fast-start, compress movie headers, create html

TRACKS - process video, audio, mpeg

IMAGE - manual crop, 320x240, deinterlaced, noise reduce

ADJUST - Gama 10, Black restore 15

ENCODE - Sorensen, Millions, 10 fps, Keyframe every 100, 146.1 kbits/s

SORENSEN - Highest Qualitly, Smoothing

This is by no means the only way to do it, but it works for me. Compressing is an art and takes a lot of fiddling. Hope that helps out a little.
Old June 2nd, 2005, 08:52 PM   #26
Regular Crew

Beachtek and Optura XI

Does anyone here use a Beachtek XLR adapter with their Optura XI? I'm trying to figure out which would fit it better, the DXA-2s or the DXA-4p. I'm going to be purchasing the Audio-Technica AT897 shotgun mic soon and I know this would be the best way to use it with my camera. Thanks for the help.
Old June 3rd, 2005, 12:49 AM   #27
Wrangler

I don't recommend the Xi / DXA-4P combo for handheld use. It creates more problems than it solves. An XLR belt adapter is a much better accessory for the Xi when it comes to handheld shooting. I'm very happy with Studio 1's XLR-BP belt adapter.

The problems when handholding the Xi / DXA-4P combo are:
1. When the XLR cables are plugged in, there aren't solid places or ways to grip the camcorder.
2. The weight of the XLR cables unbalances the Xi and makes it very difficult to get steady shots.

And finally, you need to take apart the whole setup to switch tapes.
Old June 3rd, 2005, 01:13 AM   #28
Regular Crew

Awesome, thanks for the recommendation. I figured the tape changing would be an issue, and it looks like this would save me a pretty penny.
Old June 5th, 2005, 12:47 PM   #29
Regular Crew

16:9 (optura xi) etc

I know the optura xi has a 16:9 mode that is used so you can play back your video on a widescreen Tv. However I have a video that I shot with a trv58 and I shot that in 16:9 widescreen mode which was more like cinema, I could view it on my normal TV though without it looking stretched and out of place. I have footage from the XI and trv58 that I need to match up but im afraid the cinema mode I shot in won't match the XI's widescreen mode. Does the XI have a mode that is just cinema so I can play it on my normal TV(not widescreen tv) show it matches my other footage. Thanks guys
Old June 5th, 2005, 12:52 PM   #30
Wrangler

I don't know the answer to your exact question, however I do know that you can shoot like normal 4:3 and then letterbox (add a black bar above and below) in post. The technique varies depending on your editing software, but it should be very easy. It sounds like your old camera just added black bars to 4:3 footage.

BTW, this yields inferior results when played on a widescreen TV because you have thrown away all those pixels in the black bars. The XI has a high quality 16:9 mode which uses all those pixels. Another strategy would be to shoot in the XI 16:9 mode, capture the footage, then letterbox it for 4:3. Again, I don't know what software you use, but in FCP this would be as simple as dropping the clips in a 4:3 sequence. This way you would still have the original high quality 16:9 footage available if you ever wanted it.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > Canon Optura Junior Watchdog