A few nagging Optura Xi Q.s - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > Canon Optura Junior Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon Optura Junior Watchdog
High-end affordable consumer 1-CCD camcorders. PAL users invited!

Old June 5th, 2005, 01:04 PM   #31
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff
I don't know the answer to your exact question, however I do know that you can shoot like normal 4:3 and then letterbox (add a black bar above and below) in post. The technique varies depending on your editing software, but it should be very easy. It sounds like your old camera just added black bars to 4:3 footage.

BTW, this yields inferior results when played on a widescreen TV because you have thrown away all those pixels in the black bars. The XI has a high quality 16:9 mode which uses all those pixels. Another strategy would be to shoot in the XI 16:9 mode, capture the footage, then letterbox it for 4:3. Again, I don't know what software you use, but in FCP this would be as simple as dropping the clips in a 4:3 sequence. This way you would still have the original high quality 16:9 footage available if you ever wanted it.

Thanks for the reply, yeah I guess I could probably shoot in 16:9 mode and just letterbox it for 4:3, I'm sure Adobe encore can do that. I use Permiere for editing and I suppose adding a black bar above and below wouldn't be hard and it will be flush with the other video. I know that camera didn't have proper 16:9 it just added black bars like you said. Anyway I will probably just end up adding black bars in post. The only thing that sucks is if I ever get a widescreen and play the footage, the crapy 16:9 mode from the other camera would just be a small square in the middle :(.
Old June 6th, 2005, 10:54 PM   #32
New Boot

This was my choice, Xi seems to fit nicely in the top bag portion. I like the removable bottom for having batteries and my cables and power cords, but can unzip it and lighten the load when I know I am just out with the kids.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=276051&is=REG
Old June 8th, 2005, 08:59 AM   #33
Tourist

Accessory sharing between XI and G3

Guys,

I have a Canon Powershot G3 digital camera (52mm lens barrell) and I am planning to buy the Canon Optura XI camcorder soon.

I currently do not have any filters/zoom or tele lenses or any other accessory.

1)I was wondering if it would be possible (actually more if it is recommended or absolutely a no-no) to share accessories between my camcorder and my camera?
I know I will need an adapter or adapters like maybe a 46-52mm adapter for the camcorder and then buy 52mm accessories (filters/lenses).
2)What filters would be essential/recommended given the characteristics of the camera and camcorder? I have read here and elsewhere that a polarising filter would be a good investment? I am thinking of also buying the light that was recommended here by Kevin Sturges: http://www.camerabright.com/index.htm. Thanks Kevin!
3) I currently use Ulead VideoStudio8. Any suggestions on whether Adobe Premiere Pro or Vegas or something would be better?
Also am considering buying a Mac, in which case how does iMovie compare to Ulead and Premiere etc?

Thanks in advance and I wanted to thank all the people here, you guys helped me narrow it down to the XI ( I was looking at Panny GS250, GS400, XI etc..and have decided on the XI for my budget and features)

I am a relative noob in terms of videography so pls padron me if some of these questions sound naive....:-)

Thanks,
Ketan
Old June 8th, 2005, 02:30 PM   #34
Wrangler

You can also share the BP-511 battery. It works in both products. And you can share one good tripod.

To share filters and lenses with the Xi you'll need to get a 46-52mm step up adapter.

A wide angle lens, polariser or an ND filter to share between both cameras is a great idea and highly recommended. But you may want to wait until you experience a true need for it, before committing to those purchases.

Re: software
Since you already have it, I'd say stick with Ulead VideoStudio. iMovie for the Mac and Windows Movie maker are both basic editing programs. VideoStudio is much more advanced and competes with Premiere, Vegas, and Final Cut Pro.
Old June 8th, 2005, 06:10 PM   #35
Tourist

Yes, but is it advisable to use step-up adapter

with the XI? Or rather more appropriately, is it BETTER (lower noise, distortion etc.) to use a 46 mm accessory directly on the XI vs. with a 46-52mm step-up adapter?

Will using the step-up adapter introduce a degradation in performance in any way?

And yes, the fact that they share the same battery is one more reason I am planning on going with the XI....

Thanks for the reply!
-Ketan
Old June 8th, 2005, 06:45 PM   #36
Wrangler

Yes you're right, there's a chance you may get some vignetting and/or flaring, that's the trade off. Several people here use a step up adapter with their Raynox wide angle lenses and are happy with the results.
Old June 13th, 2005, 03:12 PM   #37
Regular Crew

you don't want to wait til you're in encore to do that. do it in premiere before you output it for dvd authoring. if you have the adobe video bundle, after effects is a good place to do it too.
Old June 13th, 2005, 03:24 PM   #38
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Petersen
if I ever get a widescreen and play the footage, the crapy 16:9 mode from the other camera would just be a small square in the middle :(.
Not necessarily. I have 17" and 22" 16:9 LCD screens and a 37" plasma. They all have a "zoom" mode which is specifically made for this situation. So if you're watching a letterboxed 4:3 broadcast on TCM for example, it will zoom the image to fit the width of the 16:9 screen.

Now of course it depends on the quality of your original letterboxed footage; there's not much help for poor optics or CCD's. But modern widescreen TV's have pretty decent realtime image scalers. So you won't have to settle for a small rectangle in the midde of your widescreen TV.

With a clean cable transmission, 4:3 footage looks surprisingly good on my 37" plasma screen in zoom mode. In fact, this is how I leave the screen set most of the time. There will be the occasional chopped off head, but more often than not I get the impression that stuff is being shot so as to protect the 16:9 image area. Regardless, I'd rather see everything in the proper proportion with the top and bottom cropped as opposed to using the stretch mode which makes everyone look short and fat ;-)
Old October 4th, 2005, 11:40 AM   #39
Regular Crew

35mm lens for Optura XI

I'd like to get a 35mm lens and an adapter for it on my XI.

Im pretty sure this is doable, but what lens and adapter would be best for this camera?

Im also sure I would need a step up ring.

and how much would all this cost?

thanks.
Old October 4th, 2005, 08:33 PM   #40
Regular Crew

One of the reasons I got the Optura Xi was because of its ability to handle depth-of-field on its own without the use of a mini35, but the cinematographer in me told me to build a mini35 for the Xi and I can say without a doubt, it's not worth it. It isn't a practical device for smaller form-factor cameras like the Optura Xi.

I'm really a big fan of focus-pulled shots and that is easier to accomplish with the mini35 system. With the Xi's lens, I always over do the pull and have to go back which always annoys me.

My opinion on the disadvantages of the mini35:

1.) Upside down images makes it hard to follow action
2.) Image is somewhat soft due to the ground glass
3.) Focusing with such a small focal plane can drive one crazy without a 20" CRT monitor to reference to. The LCD is already useless on the Xi, the mini35 makes it worse.
4.) The weight of the mini35 with lens (I use a Canon FD lens) is incredible; it's near impossible to handhold.
5.) You have to remember that lens functions (focusing and zooming) need to be operated on the 35mm lens, not the camcorder's lens. With a diopter on the Xi, if you even touch the zoom button, you are out of focus. It took me a while to get it back.
6.) Let there be light!!! OMG!!! I was amazed at how poor the image looked even in bright sunlight. People aren't kidding when they say if you use one of these adapters, you really do need to light like film.

When I have time again, I will do one of these follow focus systems for the Xi. But who knows, I might just save my efforts and energy for a Sony HVR-Z1U.
Old October 5th, 2005, 11:20 AM   #41
Regular Crew

Actually it works great with my camera and all you have to do is use the magnet method to flip the image. I'd recommend Quen's Letus35 adapter for your camera. I wish it would have been there when I started making mine. As long as you have a decent tripod, you should be fine.
Old October 6th, 2005, 12:49 PM   #42
Regular Crew

Could you explain the magnet method?

I've never heard of such thing.

What would be a good lens for this adapter and the Xi?

Last edited by Davis Lee; October 6th, 2005 at 02:47 PM.
Old October 6th, 2005, 08:18 PM   #43
Regular Crew

People seem to really dig Canon and Nikon lenses for their adapters. I would say the best starter lens is a 50mm f1.4 as it gives a nice shallow depth of field and a good amount of light. If you haven't seen the site, it's http://www.letus35.com.

As for the magnet method... Here's a fairly recent pic of my camera with my adapter that shows where to put the magnet which in turn flips the image on your screen. https://webspace.utexas.edu/rjs539/www/Fullcam.jpg
I found some smaller magnets which I'm using now but you can see where it goes. The camera is "tricked" into thinking the LCD screen has been flipped to the front view mode so you see everything the right way and then flip the image in post. Let me know if you have any more questions.
Old August 16th, 2006, 10:40 AM   #44
New Boot

Fisheye Question for XI

Hi, long time no talk everyone. It's been a while since I messed with video. I've been busy with work and other stuff like training to actually make my promo video. Anyways, I've previously looked into fisheye lenses and wanted this boards input. I really want to go with century optics but want to make sure that it will fit.

I inputted the optura series and got this result.

http://www.schneideroptics.com/ecom...D=1069&IID=1755

I've always liked this next one and was told by a store that I would just need to purchase a step up ring for it to fit on my camera.

http://www.schneideroptics.com/ecom...ID=1071&IID=859

What do you guys think? The first one is definitely cheaper and I don't think it was offered before when I did my first search about a year ago. Any information, suggestions and opinions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Esoteric

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > Canon Optura Junior Watchdog