Optura Xi anamorphic question - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > Canon Optura Junior Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon Optura Junior Watchdog
High-end affordable consumer 1-CCD camcorders. PAL users invited!

Old June 4th, 2004, 01:00 AM   #16
Inner Circle

If the Optura Xi is the MVX3i in PAL land, then I can help as I tested it in the May 2004 issue of Computer Video magazine. Here's what I said about the widescreen mode:

When the camcorder is switched to 16:9 mode, the view widens slightly as more of the 1632 x 1224 chip is being used. And, the image is noticeably distorted - in the viewfinder and sidescreen - as black bars are not used to show the new aspect ratio. Confusingly, when the letters ‘WS’ appear in the display, this denotes that the wind-screen filter is turned on, not wide-screen mode is activated.

Graph-paper-filming tests show that the 16:9 mode uses 20 per cent fewer vertical CCD pixels than in the 4:3 mode but seven per cent more horizontal pixels (see diagram). Canon’s widescreen solution is a small step in the right direction and better than simply losing 25 per cent of the vertical resolution - as was typical just two years ago.

Low-light sensitivity and image stabilisation are unaffected by the switch to widescreen, though the telephoto reach is somewhat reduced and the wide-angle increased slightly. On a side-by-side screen test with a Sony VX2000, the widescreen mode of the MVX3i was just noticeably superior.

tom.
Old June 4th, 2004, 08:36 AM   #17
Obstreperous Rex

Tom is right, the Optura Xi and the MVX3i are NTSC and PAL versions of the same camcorder.

I agree that the LCD display information can be confusing at times. "WS" is wind screen, and "16:9" is wide screen in Canon land.

The pixel spread on the Optura Xi / MVX3i in 16:9 mode is 1632 x 918.

Other Optura models such as the Optura 300 / MVX10i and the Optura 40 & 30 / MVX25i & 20i utilize a smaller area, but still high-res, at 1280 x 720. See my CCD recording graphics at http://www.dvinfo.net/canonoptura/ar...0elura70-2.php -- hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > Canon Optura Junior Watchdog