display question on Canon Optura Xi (MVX3i) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > Canon Optura Junior Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon Optura Junior Watchdog
High-end affordable consumer 1-CCD camcorders. PAL users invited!

Old December 14th, 2003, 01:33 AM   #1
New Boot

display question on Canon Optura Xi (MVX3i)

In my old Sony cam I could turn off the lcd display information while in camera mode with a display button. I have read through the Xi manual and have found no way to do this on the Xi. I can turn it off on playback for lcd and tv but not when in camera mode.

Is there any way of doing this? There is a fair amount of information on the screen and it does get in the way. It would be very nice to turn that off (for video and stills).

I love this cam and this is about the only thing that bothers me (aside from not being able to adjust gain).

Thanks for any help!
Flip
Old December 14th, 2003, 05:49 AM   #2
Outer Circle

Shut the LCD door and pull out the viewfinder.
Old December 14th, 2003, 08:16 AM   #3
New Boot

huh?

Are you kidding?

This does not work. This information appears through viewfinder as well if that is what you mean.

Flip
Old December 14th, 2003, 10:04 AM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

Flip

The display menu will give you some options but, if you've completely checked through the manual, then there's probably no way to toggle off all of the info.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Old December 14th, 2003, 06:40 PM   #5
Outer Circle

When you shut the LCD door and pull out the viewfinder the LCD monitor will de-activate, but it will activate the much smaller viewing area of the viewfinder. If the activated viewfinder still gets in the way, cut a piece of black electrician's tape and stick it on the viewfinder. I suggest this because you seem to want the screens "off" while running the cam. :-)
Old December 14th, 2003, 07:08 PM   #6
Obstreperous Rex

Frank -- he wants the display *info* toggled off, not the display itself. You can do this on higher-end cams such as the XL1S.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Old December 14th, 2003, 09:10 PM   #7
New Boot

Sorry for the confusion Frank. Chris is correct, I want to toggle off the information displayed on screen.

My old Sony TRV10 had a "display" button that I can turn it off. I can also do this on my Canon S45 digital camera. The information is helpful but I do not need it displayed all the time and it gets distracting.

It is not a huge deal. Almost everything else I like about this cam.

Flip
Old December 14th, 2003, 09:48 PM   #8
Outer Circle

Oh. I thought you wanted to save baterry power or shoot with the monitor's off for some reason. So, you cannot get rid of the displayed info on the Xi's screen? That's a bummer. I can do this with my older DVL9500's and MX300. Sorry about the confusion. :-)
Old June 4th, 2004, 01:05 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Here's a chunk of my test of this camcorder for a British magazine:

The camcorder weighs 830g. It is compact and slim, largely because of the bottom-loading mechanism – but this makes tape-changing a pain for tripod work and no fun either when the camcorder is placed on a desk wired up to an editing PC. The load/unload mechanism is quiet and quick, though, and we could switch tapes in just 12 seconds.

We found the MVX3i easy to hand hold but noticed that the loudspeaker grille faces the palm of the hand, muffling sound during hand-held playback. The side screen swivels and turns but cannot be locked back down facing outwards from the camcorder body. The screen can get cluttered but all the spam can be turned off it it’s a nuisance. The supplied battery is a tiny BP 512, which is good for about 40 minutes of every-day shooting – so a larger-capacity battery is likely to be an early purchase. The battery is charged on camcorder, but only when the camcorder is powered down.

So there you have it. You can switch it all off.

tom.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > Canon Optura Junior Watchdog