Optura 100mc - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > Canon Optura Junior Watchdog

Canon Optura Junior Watchdog
High-end affordable consumer 1-CCD camcorders. PAL users invited!

Old August 6th, 2004, 01:26 PM   #16
Regular Crew

I don't seem to have any problems picking up motor noise. Generally, the way I use my Optura 100's would preclude using an external mic unfortunately. When I'm in a postion to shoot with such accessories attached, I'm able to use my GL2!!
Old August 6th, 2004, 01:29 PM   #17
Regular Crew

I find all lcd screens hard to see in bright sunlight. And I usually don't use them to conserve battery power. However, when it's darker, lcd screens are invaluable!!
Old August 6th, 2004, 07:23 PM   #18
New Boot

Michael and Craig,

Thanks for your responses! I found that the polarizing sunglasses really don't help. The display being "washed out" (that's a good description, Michael) seems to have more to do with the brightness and contrast of the LCD than any polarization effect. I may try a hood next - in playing around with the cam this afternoon I found that cupping my hand around the LCD seems to yield some improvement. So there's some hope there, I think.

By the way, when I was looking around online for hoods, I came across one which was actually a lens/hood combination which fits over the LCD, basically turning the LCD into a viewfinder. Have you seen this? It seems pretty extreme! I'm sure it would make the display easier to see, but I question how easy it would be to use since the weight would tend to make the LCD flip down. And even if it didn't you would have to have your eye right on it to use it. (And this would be more awkward than the regular viewfinder).

I have to agree that the LCD can be invaluable sometimes. In the past I would use the viewfinder if the LCD was too washed out. But now I find that with my DM-50 mic attached (which is almost always), its harder to use the viewfinder comfortably since the mic pokes me in the forehead.

Like I said, thanks for the feedback. I'll look into hoods next and see if I can find any improvement that way. Otherwise I'll just live with it like everyone else does!

Finally, I hope I'm not giving anyone the wrong impression. I love this cam! It's been a good all around choice for me and still takes great video. I've been very pleased with it.

Thanks,

Jeff
Old August 20th, 2004, 10:33 AM   #19
Tourist

Optura 100MC pass-through (how?)

I understand from reviews I've read that the 100MC can be used in "pass-through" mode. I presume this means that I can connect analog A/V as input and output DV over 1394 to my PC, right?

But do I actually have to record the analog A/V to a miniDV tape and then playback the tape over 1394? Or can the transfer be done without this step...?

Thanks,

David
Old August 20th, 2004, 01:09 PM   #20
Obstreperous Rex

I'm not sure if the Op 100 has direct pass-through or not. It was never billed as one of that cam's features. Can you try it out and let us know?

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Old August 20th, 2004, 04:56 PM   #21
Wrangler

Quote:
But do I actually have to record the analog A/V to a miniDV tape and then playback the tape over 1394?
I don't believe the 100MC has pass-thru like you described in your first paragraph. I checked the manual and there is no mention of this capability and I'm pretty sure you'll need to record to tape first as I quoted you above. The Optura 200MC does have pass-thru.

Click here for the Optura 200MC brochure.
Old August 23rd, 2004, 11:32 AM   #22
Tourist

I called Canon tech support and they said the 100MC DOES support pass-through, but I'm not very confident they knew what they were talking about. They said to set one of the VCR menu options to "DV" (and there is no such option).

Anyway, once I've got my 1394 adapter on my PC working again, I'm going to try it...

David
Old August 25th, 2004, 09:30 PM   #23
Major Player

I also own an Optura100 and unfortunately, it doesn't have pass-through. AFAIK, Canon models that came out in 2002 finally had such feature (eg. Optura200).

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > Canon Optura Junior Watchdog