Just got Optura 40 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > Canon Optura Junior Watchdog

Canon Optura Junior Watchdog
High-end affordable consumer 1-CCD camcorders. PAL users invited!

Old July 1st, 2004, 04:29 PM   #1
Space Hipster

Just got Optura 40

After much camera agnst, I finally decided a camera plan. Just picked up a Optura 40 kit at a very low price from a local shop as my backup/B camera.

Working on a business loan to get a pro cam setup and found sound paying work to help payoff that loan quickly. But I'm going to get comfy with my first consumer cam - though I'm entered in the 48 hour film festival this year and might have to shoot that with the Optura depending on when I get a pro cam.

But, with it's 16:9 widescreen most and some post tricks, it will work okay for that.

I will post some 16:9 filmlooked footage from the Optura in the upcoming days.
Old July 1st, 2004, 06:08 PM   #2
Wrangler

Congrats on the new cam!@ It's pretty sweet.

The rule with consumer cams is if there's a problem, work around it, and if you can't, then that's the way you meant it to be :-p

Good luck on the 48 hour film festival!

Old July 2nd, 2004, 07:55 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Congrats on your choice Stephen. You picked a fine camera. I have the Xi - both are very similar. With the added resolution of Canons 16/9 mode (better than many expensive pro-cams) and the manual controls, you'll have what you need to make a fine documentary.

Experiment with the 1/30 shutter mode. I THINK it's in the 40. If you're trying to get a film look, you just might be very surprised at what happens, especially when you see your footage in a computer monitor...
Old July 2nd, 2004, 08:21 AM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

Good deal, Stephen, I'm sure you'll be happy with it!

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Old July 2nd, 2004, 10:03 AM   #5
Space Hipster

Kevin:

The Xi was discontinued, it was my first choice, but the Optura 40 is a good little cam so far. It does not have the 1/30th shutter, so I will have to emulate it in post. But it does have letterboxed 16:9 on the LCD and a 14X Zoom.
Old July 2nd, 2004, 10:07 AM   #6
Obstreperous Rex

Actually the Optura 40/30 does have a 1/30 sec. show shutter -- see page 57 of the operator's manual. But the question is, how to force it on. The choices seem to be force off, or automatic only.

Old July 2nd, 2004, 10:18 AM   #7
Space Hipster

Chris:

There is a slow shutter but no way to lock it in. It's an electronic effect with signifigant artifacts as it does not appear to stay at 1/30th, but vary according to light levels.
Old July 2nd, 2004, 10:25 AM   #8
Wrangler

Congratulations on your cam purchase.

It looks like Canon improved the low light performance on the 40 over the Xi but chose to remove OIS. I guess this is not the Xi replacment?
Old July 2nd, 2004, 10:38 AM   #9
Space Hipster

Tommy:

It was a tough choice (as you know) - I finally decided no one cam could meet my pro and backup cam needs. So, it's a cheap b-cam and debt for a pro cam for my needs.

Low light was not the primary concern for me - shooting narrative stuff, extremely good low light can be a bit of detriment when you are trying to get low key effects. The full widescreen chip count was a big deal. Progressive scan and gamma adjust in post as I have Vegas, After Effects Pro and plenty of plugins.

Anyway, good luck on selling your GS100 - are you thinking now of getting of GS400 US or Japan?
Old July 2nd, 2004, 10:43 AM   #10
Wrangler

I'll probably end up with a black GS400 from Japan unless some native 16:9 1/3" 3CCD creeps up between here and there. :)

Looking forward to some frames from your 40.
Old July 2nd, 2004, 12:08 PM   #11
Obstreperous Rex

Tommy:

<< I guess this is not the Xi replacment? >>

Nope, the Optura 40/30 series replaces the Optura 20/10. See my page at http://www.dvinfo.net/canonoptura/articles/lineage.php.

Old July 11th, 2007, 01:49 AM   #12
New Boot

Optura 30 is Pro-Quality when used correctly.

I haven't used the Optura 40, but I swear by my Optura 30, which is basically the same thing. I'm a college student without much money, and that's why I made my first feature film using my handy Canon Optura 30. It works so well that I even had the characters in my movie using the same camcorder (I have two). If you're interested in seeing Optura 30 footage and screen grabs (most of which are unadjusted), then check out this page on my indie filmmaking web site. The image size is reduced from the original 873 pixels wide to 600 wide:

http://murrayfilms.net/page/primary/...matography.htm

For optura footage, check the Watch Movies page for the trailer for my movie, I Love Ashley Bailey, but keep in mind the trailer is compressed and that I've since learned to get even more out of the Optura 30. I highly, highly recommend this camcorder. Keep in mind that low light with this camera isn't amazing but is decent with proper white balancing, but if you're making a narrative film and not simply home video, a single $32 work light from Wal Mart bounced off the walls makes the Optura 30 look very professional.

You can get a LOT out of this little camera, and I'm making my next movie with it, too, so don't think you need to spend over $500 to get very good looking video. All it lacks is 24p and good Depth of Field, both of which can be taken care of. Just moving the camera back and zooming in gives great DOF, and I hear Magic Bullet can work wonders with 60i footage in the 24p department.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > Canon Optura Junior Watchdog