3.5mm to XLR mic cable at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old July 9th, 2008, 03:15 PM   #1
Trustee

3.5mm to XLR mic cable

Just thought I'd share this - maybe it should have been in the Audio forum.

When making up a cable to connect a Rode NTG-2 mono mic to an HV30, I thought I would see what happened if I just connected the cable as signal (Tip & Ring shorted) to pin 2 and ground to pin 3. It worked fine until I touched (or put my hand near) the NTG-2 when a high pitched whine became audible through the monitoring headphones. This whine was constant even when several hundred yards away from any source of electrical interference. It disappeared when I shorted pin 1 to pin 3, which is the way I would normally have wired the cable anyway.

The difference in audio quality using the external mic over the built in mic is very noticable even with this simple cable (I don't have a Beachtec and was hoping not to have to buy one).
Colin McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2008, 09:16 PM   #2
Regular Crew

just FYI, you can connect an XLR mic without a Beachtek. Just use an XLR to mini cable. I bought an AT8341 for less than $20.
Old July 21st, 2008, 02:45 PM   #3
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.S. Michael View Post
just FYI, you can connect an XLR mic without a Beachtek. Just use an XLR to mini cable. I bought an AT8341 for less than $20.
Maybe I'm missing something here, but I thought I had described how I'd done just that, going in to detail of how I wired up the cable.
Colin McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2009, 12:52 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Hey Colin,
I'm thinking of making a XLR to 3.5mm adapter for my NTG2 and 5DmkII.
I'm very familiar with solder/electronics.....I'm just wondering if it's as straight forward as buying the components and soldering them together?
What schematic did you use? Did it require capacitors or resistors?
Details would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!
Old November 8th, 2009, 02:03 PM   #5
Trustee

I'd forgotten about that post.

I just use a stereo minijack cable which I chopped one end off and soldered on an XLR plug instead. No resistors or capacitors needed. As the cable is unbalanced, I kept it as short as possible. That's the tradeoff - unbalancing the connection makes it more prone to interference, even though the actual cables used are coaxial. To keep the connection balanced right up to the camera makes the set up much more complicated, with a transformer or Beachtec type device needed as close to the camera as possible.

With the short cable length and a good strong audio source I haven't been troubled by interference so far.

I did the bridging inside the XLR because being a bigger connector, I find the XLR is easier to work with, but it is possible to bridge the tip and ring connections inside the minijack instead.

Here's a schematic:
Attached Thumbnails
3.5mm to XLR mic cable-schematic.jpg  

Last edited by Colin McDonald; November 8th, 2009 at 02:09 PM. Reason: The curse of copy/paste - wrong label on XLR pin 3
Colin McDonald is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders