Dynamic stabilizer test: Canon hf s 11 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old November 8th, 2009, 09:43 AM   #1
Go Cycle

Dynamic stabilizer test: Canon hf s 11

YouTube - CANON HF S 11 DYNAMIC STABILIZER TEST

The last scene was with the camera on top of the car dashboard.

Click HD for better quality.

Used the menu driven Dynamic setting and a small monopod. Not perfect but better than menu-driven stabilizers of the past.
Old November 8th, 2009, 12:48 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Thanks Lou, would you say that the stabilization for the HFS11 is worth upgrading from HFS10/S100?

How were you using the monopod when you where walking?

Thanks.
Dan Munk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2009, 06:18 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou Bruno View Post
Used the menu driven Dynamic setting and a small monopod. Not perfect but better than menu-driven stabilizers of the past.
Please don't take offense, but that made me feel quite seasick. I think unstabilized footage might have been more palatable because it wouldn't have had that unnatural swaying motion, in fact I was quite surprised by how much movement there was in that footage.

Quick sort-of related question; which lens did you use, it looked quite wide given the amount of barrel distortion?
Stuart Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2009, 06:56 PM   #4
Go Cycle

No offense taken. This was a test of the internal menu DYNAMIC stabiliser. That's as good as it will get. Better than the HF S10 which is almost impossible to keep from shaking due to the lightness. However, it appears to me after the test that the stabilizer is only good for static shots when the camera person is NOT moving. Much better than the static shots from my prior HF S10.

The lens had barrell distortion as I mixed a FISHEYE with the CANON wideangle lens. The CANON HD wideangle is totally necessary as the field of view is rather narrow with the enclosed lens.

Yes...I tried a monopod configuration both vertical and horizontal.

By no means is this a steady cam menu driven stabilizer.
Old November 9th, 2009, 08:43 AM   #5
Regular Crew

umm, monopod WITH stabilizer? A case that Canon cautions against in the manual?

I occasionalyfoget and put the camea on a tripod without disabling the d-IS. The frame moves occasionally, because the IS "eye" detects motion.

That eye may have also been confused by an accessory lens. I've beeen trying to figure out of my old WD-58a confuses it or not....
Kevin Bjorke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2009, 06:19 PM   #6
Go Cycle

That is possible that the lens can cause a focus problem, though I picked up digital artifacting somehow. The monopod can be used with the stabilizer as long as it is not perfectly steady. A tripod is a NO NO and I always shut off the stabilzer for static and steady tripod work. In this case the monopod was moving up and down and handheld. It looked worse with the stabilizer off as the monopod was not a steady-cam type of set-up.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders