Capture from HDMI output on HF100 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old February 2nd, 2011, 08:39 AM   #1
Major Player

Capture from HDMI output on HF100

Hi all,

Is there a good value HDMI capture solution that has good hardware encoding, works for laptops (USB or PCMCIA) and matches up well to the pf24/1080i coming out of the HF100, i.e. handle the 2:3 pulldown and write 24p to the HD?

Ideally the CPU overhead would be low, and it should be able to record ~50mbps+ to the HD, as I have an older laptop I'd be willing to take into the field.

Alternatively, I could grab a Nanoflash, which I see as a good investment. What are the benefits, apart from portability, over a PC capture solution? I'm not interested in super high bitrates.

Cheers!
James Donnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2011, 07:25 PM   #2
Major Player

Been there done it. Got a nanoflash. Too many advantages over tethered to a laptop. Power for the laptop - most laptops on battery do not run at full cpu so you will need to give it full power. Switching on off,suspending is cumbersome on a laptop, bulk, fragility, crashes ( BSOD ), securing the cables, heat issues, issues of discreetness in public areas where police may hassle you etc. All added up to me saying forget it.

My advice is go for an Atomos ninja if you work with prores. Best bang for buck at around just under a grand.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders