HV10 + FCP = Capture? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old January 16th, 2007, 10:22 AM   #1
Regular Crew

HV10 + FCP = Capture?

Anyone having luck capturing HV10 to FCP? Is it separating into different files?

thanks,
elmer
Elmer Lang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2007, 01:21 PM   #2
Major Player

What's your particular problem and what version of FCP are you using?
Old January 16th, 2007, 01:44 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I've had problems capturing that I imagine are due to hardware/software limitations (1.33ghz PowerBook/FCP 5.0.4),

But other threads here and elsewhere note similar problems - batch capture files split, only able to capture using HDV firewire (can't capture using Apple Intermediate), etc.

Since I plan on rectifying my hardware/software problems (MacBook Pro 2.33/FCP 5.1.2) I was wondering if there've been any successful stories, or if maybe a patch is needed and awaited.

thanks,
elmer
Elmer Lang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2007, 02:57 PM   #4
Major Player

I am just wondering if it's not a settings related issues. Like the second tab of the "Log and Capture Tab".
Old January 16th, 2007, 05:03 PM   #5
Major Player

Try using iMovie HD - it says 'HDV 1080i' in the setup, but it is actually using the Apple Intermediate codec.

Just an idea.
Lee Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2007, 05:56 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Wilson
Try using iMovie HD - it says 'HDV 1080i' in the setup, but it is actually using the Apple Intermediate codec.

Just an idea.
That will not only result in a format conversion but will take far more space than necessary.
Old January 16th, 2007, 06:10 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomas Chinchilla
That will not only result in a format conversion but will take far more space than necessary.
How does the intermediate codec convert - and what is it converting from ?
Lee Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2007, 06:56 PM   #8
Major Player

The Native HDV format is MPEG2, when you capture with FCPHD it wraps that MPEG2 so that it can edit it. In iMovie it takes that HDV and transcodes it into AIC and the resulting file is much much larger. MPEG2 @ 25MPS and AIC it's something much much higher.

Do a test capturing the same clip and you'll see the resulting size.

On the other hand, much people argue that the AIC conversion does not degrade quality but for some of us (I am a very picky person) we can actually see a difference.
Old January 16th, 2007, 08:04 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomas Chinchilla

Do a test capturing the same clip and you'll see the resulting size.

On the other hand, much people argue that the AIC conversion does not degrade quality but for some of us (I am a very picky person) we can actually see a difference.
Yep, appears in my tests that file sizes are over twice as large and I have also seen some quality differences. My best transcoding results quality wise (of course it takes time) is HDV to DVCPro 720p60 via mpeg streamclip, (doesn't look too bad.)
Rich Dykmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2007, 01:26 AM   #10
New Boot

APP or SV

I was editing with Adobe Premiere Pro 2.0 and not capture in separate files (extension Mpeg), but now with Sony Vegas 7 it can do it (.m2t files extension). The export configuration was in 1080i, now i.m going to try 720p. format that can produce better results, i hope.
Ramon Quesada is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders