Checking hours on the heads at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old January 9th, 2007, 03:27 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Checking hours on the heads

Does anyone know how to check the hours on the HV10 heads? Can't find it in the manual.

thanks,
elmer
Elmer Lang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2007, 10:31 PM   #2
Regular Crew

That's a pro feature, I don't think you'll find it on the HV10 or any consumer camcorders.
Rich Dykmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2007, 04:22 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmer Lang
Does anyone know how to check the hours on the HV10 heads? Can't find it in the manual.

thanks,
elmer
When the time comes to clean the heads the camcorder will display it on the screen. it is in the Manual page 82, top left.

Luis
Luis A. Diaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2007, 02:07 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Dykmans
That's a pro feature, I don't think you'll find it on the HV10 or any consumer camcorders.
Though it's a pro feature to easily check, there must be a way, 'off-menu', to check.

thanks,
elmer
Old January 14th, 2007, 10:47 AM   #5
Regular Crew

If the unit is tracking hours so that it can trigger a cleaning warning to the user then I suppose Canon has some sort of diagnostic software that might be able to show total hours.

However most times in this level of consumer camcorders triggering cleaning instruction warnings are not based on hours but on actual head clogs.

Then again since the HV10 is using the same processor as the H1/A1 it certainly should have the capability unless Canon disabled it.
Rich Dykmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2007, 11:41 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Just curiously, do hours on the HV10's heads accumulate

1) in both 'camera' and 'play.'

2) only when heads are running (record or playback), or also when you just turn on 'camera' or 'play.'

thanks,
elmer
Old January 15th, 2007, 01:02 PM   #7
Trustee

As long as tape goes past the heads, whether in record or play, there is wear.
Ken Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2007, 04:26 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Thanks for the reply, but I was referring to clock hours on the heads.

Anotherwards, do the clock hours start ticking if you just turn it on, record or play, even if not actually recording or playing and the heads turning?

thanks,
elmer
Old January 15th, 2007, 06:01 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Dykmans
Pro, schmoe. The A1 is a far better camcorder than the DVX, which shows the hours used. Canon hasn't provided the hours for any camcorder, that I am aware of. It isn't a "pro" feature by definition, but most of the higher end camcoders have it, but doesn't reduce the A1 from not being a pro camcorder.
Holly Rognan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2007, 06:08 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Hi

I had an H1 and sent it to the factory center where they can use a diagnostic tool to read out the total hours the camera has been turned on as well as how many hours the drum has been running.

I would assume that the A1/G1 do this as well, I am not sure that the HV10
has that ability.

Chuck
Chuck Wall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2007, 12:22 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly Rognan
Pro, schmoe. The A1 is a far better camcorder than the DVX, which shows the hours used. Canon hasn't provided the hours for any camcorder, that I am aware of. It isn't a "pro" feature by definition, but most of the higher end camcoders have it, but doesn't reduce the A1 from not being a pro camcorder.
Wasn't trying to infer the A1 wasn't a pro camera because I didn't realize the A1/G1/H1 didn't have that feature, all the Pannys and Sonys I've owned all have had hour meters I just assumed the Canon proline did as well - my bad!
Rich Dykmans is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders