DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   1080/25p Shooting and Editing Questions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/96752-1080-25p-shooting-editing-questions.html)

Nathan Bray June 17th, 2007 03:02 PM

1080/25p Shooting and Editing Questions

Hi All - I'm new HV20 (PAL) user and after reading a bunch of stuff here I would like to either confirm :) (or have corrected my "assumptions"):

1) Shooting 1080/25p: The main aim will be to create clips that will sit on my HTPC that currently outputs 720p/50hz to a Hitachi Plasma (1024x1024) (a 1080p/50 upgrade will come later). Given the complete "Progressive" nature of the setup I am better off to shoot 1080/25p over 1080/50i but will need to have slow, smooth Pans & Zooms

2) Editing 1080/25p: As I understand it I can edit this in any package that support a 1080/50i timeline without any major problem. From what I have ready is that I MAY have issues with cuts, cross fades, titles etc if the app does not have specific 1080/25p support

3) Capture / Editing Apps: On my DV setup I used VideoStudio (now have Vista) and am familiar with it, is inexpensive but seems to do all I need to do - however I'd be interested in any comments or suggestions!

4) Video Studio11: Under "Share > Create Video File > HDV " you have two set of options for 1080/50i - one with "For HDV", the other with "For PC" - what is the difference (if any)

Thanks
Nathan

Nathan Bray June 18th, 2007 05:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nathan Bray (Post 698153)
4) Video Studio11: Under "Share > Create Video File > HDV " you have two set of options for 1080/50i - one with "For HDV", the other with "For PC" - what is the difference (if any)

FYI I got a response to this one from Ulead's Board "The difference between the 2 templates is the top one creates a TS (transport stream) format file and the bottom one creates a PS (program stream) file. You would normally use the PS format (for PC) template. "

I'd still be interested in any options / thoughts on the other three points
Thanks
Nathan

Thomas Smet June 18th, 2007 08:19 AM

2) Cuts and still titles will be fine. It is anything that moves over time that will be a problem on a 50i timeline. The reason is because anything that moves and needs to render will render as interlaced frames. As long as nothing moves you will be fine. Even a cross dissolve may be ok because usually it would be pretty hard to see the interlacing during a cross dissolve unless it was super fast like 5 frames long or something like that.

Mark Joseph June 18th, 2007 09:16 AM

Hmm, don't know if this Apple Final Cut Pro tip translates to PC editors, but the way I handle progressive video (packaged in an interlace stream) is capture normally using a HDV 1080i50 codec, then set my sequence (time-line) field dominance setting to "None". This takes care of rendered titles and transitions when outputing movies for progressive playback.

Nathan Bray June 20th, 2007 03:49 AM

The following link is to a single 1080/50i HDV (Program Stream) file that contains two similar clips, the first is a 1080/25p with cine mode on, the second is straight 1080/50i. Both were recorded on my HV20, imported in one go into VideoStudio where I added a napf title (to see the effect of how post production movement was handled) then output using the HDV 1080/50i (For PC) option - this give a HDV Program Steam file.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=7NY2M0V8

I'd be interested in what other think but:
1) I have a (slight) preference for the first clip (1080/25p)
2) Deinterlacing settings made no difference for the first clip (but you could see the two fields in the second if inappropriate deinterlacing was selected)
3) Very quick to re-render (no transcoding)!
4) I'd rather true 1920x1080/50p!

Thanks
Nathan