1080/25p Shooting and Editing Questions at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old June 17th, 2007, 03:02 PM   #1
New Boot

1080/25p Shooting and Editing Questions

Hi All - I'm new HV20 (PAL) user and after reading a bunch of stuff here I would like to either confirm :) (or have corrected my "assumptions"):

1) Shooting 1080/25p: The main aim will be to create clips that will sit on my HTPC that currently outputs 720p/50hz to a Hitachi Plasma (1024x1024) (a 1080p/50 upgrade will come later). Given the complete "Progressive" nature of the setup I am better off to shoot 1080/25p over 1080/50i but will need to have slow, smooth Pans & Zooms

2) Editing 1080/25p: As I understand it I can edit this in any package that support a 1080/50i timeline without any major problem. From what I have ready is that I MAY have issues with cuts, cross fades, titles etc if the app does not have specific 1080/25p support

3) Capture / Editing Apps: On my DV setup I used VideoStudio (now have Vista) and am familiar with it, is inexpensive but seems to do all I need to do - however I'd be interested in any comments or suggestions!

4) Video Studio11: Under "Share > Create Video File > HDV " you have two set of options for 1080/50i - one with "For HDV", the other with "For PC" - what is the difference (if any)

Thanks
Nathan
Nathan Bray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2007, 05:36 AM   #2
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Bray View Post
4) Video Studio11: Under "Share > Create Video File > HDV " you have two set of options for 1080/50i - one with "For HDV", the other with "For PC" - what is the difference (if any)
FYI I got a response to this one from Ulead's Board "The difference between the 2 templates is the top one creates a TS (transport stream) format file and the bottom one creates a PS (program stream) file. You would normally use the PS format (for PC) template. "

I'd still be interested in any options / thoughts on the other three points
Thanks
Nathan
Nathan Bray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2007, 08:19 AM   #3
Trustee

2) Cuts and still titles will be fine. It is anything that moves over time that will be a problem on a 50i timeline. The reason is because anything that moves and needs to render will render as interlaced frames. As long as nothing moves you will be fine. Even a cross dissolve may be ok because usually it would be pretty hard to see the interlacing during a cross dissolve unless it was super fast like 5 frames long or something like that.
Thomas Smet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2007, 09:16 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Hmm, don't know if this Apple Final Cut Pro tip translates to PC editors, but the way I handle progressive video (packaged in an interlace stream) is capture normally using a HDV 1080i50 codec, then set my sequence (time-line) field dominance setting to "None". This takes care of rendered titles and transitions when outputing movies for progressive playback.
Mark Joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2007, 03:49 AM   #5
New Boot

The following link is to a single 1080/50i HDV (Program Stream) file that contains two similar clips, the first is a 1080/25p with cine mode on, the second is straight 1080/50i. Both were recorded on my HV20, imported in one go into VideoStudio where I added a napf title (to see the effect of how post production movement was handled) then output using the HDV 1080/50i (For PC) option - this give a HDV Program Steam file.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=7NY2M0V8

I'd be interested in what other think but:
1) I have a (slight) preference for the first clip (1080/25p)
2) Deinterlacing settings made no difference for the first clip (but you could see the two fields in the second if inappropriate deinterlacing was selected)
3) Very quick to re-render (no transcoding)!
4) I'd rather true 1920x1080/50p!

Thanks
Nathan
Nathan Bray is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders