DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   RedRock Micro's HV20 rig (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/97466-redrock-micros-hv20-rig.html)

Marcelo Arend June 25th, 2007 09:10 AM

RedRock Micro's HV20 rig

Look this:

http://prolost.blogspot.com/2007/06/...k-gets-it.html

Chris Hurd June 25th, 2007 09:27 AM

That rig looks supa-cool, but I'm not so sure about that EVF -- it's from the Canon XL1/XL1S, and it was barely adequate for standard definition... plus it's 4:3, so I wonder how viable it really is for managing focus. Sure is a neat looking set-up, though! Thanks for the link,

Rafael Lopes June 25th, 2007 10:26 AM

That looks freaking awesome. But Chris has got a point there. Maybe with a different viewfinder it'll be able to bust ass. But this thing does make you think...look at where technology is today! I studied film about 7 or 8 years ago and I shot most of my projects with a Sony DCR-TRV30, which cost like 500€ more than the HV20 but had less than half the quality. Today for 1000$ you can have this little bundle...plus the huge bonus of adapters like redrock, letus, and the brevis. God bless evolution.

Chris Barcellos June 25th, 2007 10:46 AM

Just checked out viewfinder at BH, about $1,450. More than the camera....:)

I just shot a 48Hour with a Letus35A. I have posted a simple flip design for this camera a couple of months ago using one 3ft piece of almuminum, and a few other things. I mounted a small DVD player that had flip capability, as my viewfinder. Focus was a struggle, but I think a more dedicated monitor will help immensely.

Chris Hurd June 25th, 2007 11:00 AM

Sorry, $1,450 is the cost of the XL series monochrome CRT viewfinder, which isn't the same as this one. The EVF pictured in that rig (it uses a color LCD) can be bought as a replacement part from Canon for something like $250.

Stu Maschwitz June 25th, 2007 11:06 AM

That rig also supports an external LCD on an arm guys!

-Stu

Glenn Thomas June 25th, 2007 12:25 PM

Yeah, I gotta say, it looks quite impressive.

Chris Barcellos June 25th, 2007 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Hurd (Post 702477)
Sorry, $1,450 is the cost of the XL series monochrome CRT viewfinder, which isn't the same as this one. The EVF pictured in that rig (it uses a color LCD) can be bought as a replacement part from Canon for something like $250.

Chris:

So where can we order one ??

Chris Hurd June 25th, 2007 06:16 PM

What, an LCD color viewfinder for an XL1 or XL1S? That's a replacement part from Canon Service. Since those camcorders were discontinued years ago, I wouldn't count on ready availability. Sometimes you can find them for sale in used condition in our Private Classifieds forum (from people moving up to the monochrome CRT EVF for their XL1 / XL1S cams). Hope this helps,

Salah Baker June 25th, 2007 06:41 PM

That is so cool

Chris Barcellos June 25th, 2007 06:44 PM

Okay CH, thanks. I just wasn't sure where it had come from.....

Johan Bunis June 25th, 2007 07:13 PM

Is there any knows damage for the camera hanging up side down and record? It´s a gr8 solution to get the picture and screen-info right on a external tft..

Salah Baker June 25th, 2007 07:26 PM

People that worry hanging a sub 1k camera upside down is probably not who this rig is geared for.
I would guess that the rig is 3 times what the camera costs.
Unless Redrock has changed it’s pricing.

Chris Hurd June 25th, 2007 09:16 PM

Agreed... that HV20 is probably one-third the cost of the entire system.

Rafael Lopes June 26th, 2007 01:43 AM

I guess that if they were building this rig specifically for cameras such as the HV20 (to encourage people with such cameras to buy 35mm adapters) they should keep the price down...otherwise it's just better judgment to buy a Xh-A1 for this price. I gotta tell you, though, that is one sweet good looking rig :D