genuine Canon batteries used with XA-10 not compatible with XA-20 - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders
For the Canon XA25, XA20, XA10 and all VIXIA / LEGRIA Series AVCHD camcorders.

Old September 29th, 2014, 01:19 PM   #46
Regular Crew

Re: genuine Canon batteries used with XA-10 not compatible with XA-20

I haven't shot video for a couple months so this past weekend while I was getting my camera gear ready, I charged up batteries. One of my units that I bought last October from BestBatt isn't taking a charge. The other seems fine, but I cannot get the one to take a charge both trough the camera or using my wall charger.

I see that they have a one year warranty, so I am going to test out their customer service department.

Time to order a couple Wasabi units however just in case.
Derek Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2014, 08:09 AM   #47
Regular Crew

Well to BestBatt's credit, I sent them an email and they issued me an RA# and claim that they will replace it. Sending the battery out later today, so keeping my fingers crossed that all will be good.
Old October 1st, 2014, 03:45 AM   #48
New Boot

That's good to hear Derek,

I too took advantage of a couple of the Canon compatable batteries from BestBatts, but so far haven't had a problem with them, thankfully.

As they are now nearly a year old, if I should encounter any failures with them, I would replace them with the Wasabi ones, as I've used this brand before, in a Sony Camcorder and they are still going strong over 5 years later.

( The Wasabi Canon XA20 compatable ones were not available at the time I purchased the BesttBatts )
Stephen Dey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2014, 05:01 AM   #49
Wrangler

A significant differentiator among batteries, beyond the cost of a brand name and waranty, is the level of quality control (QC) applied during manufacture. But QC costs money, so the end result is poitentially higher failure rates for lower cost batteries. Individual batteriues may do well, but thare will likely be an overall higher percentage failing prematurly. If you can tolerate the increased risk, you can save money.
Old October 7th, 2014, 06:26 AM   #50
Regular Crew

Regarding my BestBatt battery replacement. Yesterday I received a replacement battery in the mail from BestBatt. Just under a week for turn around, pretty fast. The battery was pre-charged and I put it on the camera and everything worked fine. So in a nut shell, I'm pretty happy with the service of BestBatt.
Old October 8th, 2014, 02:16 AM   #51
New Boot

Can anyone comment my question from above: http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xa...ml#post1862429

Thanks,
Tim
Tim Knapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2014, 05:14 AM   #52
Wrangler

I trust the question was whether or not the Wasabi BP828 works in the G20..

In other posts it sounds like you may have one, so give it a try. If it fits it should work. I believe that the issue with the older BP827 series was that the new camcorders use more power that may have exceeded the built-in self-protection features of the battery.

As I recall a different third party brand of BP828 worked in my XA10.
Old October 8th, 2014, 11:47 AM   #53
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Palomaki View Post
I trust the question was whether or not the Wasabi BP828 works in the G20..

In other posts it sounds like you may have one, so give it a try. If it fits it should work. I believe that the issue with the older BP827 series was that the new camcorders use more power that may have exceeded the built-in self-protection features of the battery.

As I recall a different third party brand of BP828 worked in my XA10.
Yes, that is the question, and thanks for the relpy. Actually, no ... I own a XA25 and will be renting some G20's for a multicam shoot. Rather than rent batteries if I don't have too, I'd rather just buy a couple more Wasabi 828's if they will work in G20's and the like.

I thought I read somewhere (probably here) that you could go backwards with the batteries, just not use the old ones in new cams like the XA20/25.
Tim Knapp is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders