Pulled the trigger! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders

Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Canon XF705, XF405, XF305, XF205 and XF105 (with SDI), Canon XF400, XF300, XF200 and XF100 (without SDI).

Old August 25th, 2010, 12:40 AM   #1
Major Player

Pulled the trigger!

Rather going against the fashion (and knowing Canon will announce a 5DII/XF crossover camera tomorrow just to spite me) I ordered an XF300 today.

I suspect Canon won't sell many units (nothing like their previous 1/3" line up) - they came a bit late to the party - but I believe they got this camera spot on. Four sources (I think I found all of them through DVinfo) convinced me this is the right camera for the majority of my work:

* the review at Luminous Landscape
* the test vis-a-vis EX at repaire.net (French site)
* Alan Robert's (BBC) technical test
* Nick Wilcox-Brown's shots on Vimeo

So thank you to everyone who linked to this info, and thanks especially to Nick for his fantastic shots.

I know I'm going to have a hard time over the next few months deciding what to shoot with the 5DII and what to shoot with the XF.

Josh

Last edited by Josh Dahlberg; August 25th, 2010 at 03:15 AM.
Josh Dahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2010, 01:05 AM   #2
New Boot

Josh
Awesome mate. I see that A2Z are introducing the XF300/5 tomorrow in Auckland. I would like to check them out, but was up in Auckland last week. No offense to the Aucklanders, your traffic sucks, especially when most of the cars that go past has only one person in it.

Post back your thoughts on the camera. Would love to know what u think of it after putting it through its paces.

Ratu
Old August 25th, 2010, 09:02 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Congratulations, I just bought one myself and WOW!!! I am not even sure that it will intercut that well with my 5d footage it has so much more resolution and lack of DSLR goofiness when trying to film documentary style. Trying to figure out two things: which is best shoulder mount, and which picture profile settings to use.
Jeff Gibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2010, 09:04 AM   #4
Major Player

Congratulations Josh!

Like Tania, I'd be interested too in what you think of your new XF cam. What types of filming would you be doing?

I've been trying to follow as much as I can in regards to this cam; and I'm close in my decision whether or not I should buy it (or an EX1R). Seems like the longer I wait, the less opportunities I could be making money (or at least practice shooting :)

Best,
Old August 26th, 2010, 01:22 AM   #5
Major Player

Congratulations Josh! I think you're going to enjoy this

Nick.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders