After Two Weeks of Shooting with the XF 300 ... Warnings and Cautions to the new user - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Canon XF705, XF405, XF305, XF205 and XF105 (with SDI), Canon XF400, XF300, XF200 and XF100 (without SDI).

Old October 7th, 2011, 09:25 PM   #16
Vortex Media

Re: After Two Weeks of Shooting with the XF 300 ... Warnings and Cautions to the new

I am not surprised the same zebra settings don't work from camera to camera. The best settings for zebra will vary by four factors:

1) The camera model
2) The picture profile or custom scene settings being used on the camera at the time
3) Where the operator expects the zebras to appear within the scene
4) Which of the two types of zebras is being used (range or limit)

I always setup a new camera when I first get it and run some tests in the studio to determine what zebra setting is going to work best for the paint settings I have chosen. Of course it helps that I have professional DSC charts and a Leader waveform monitor, but it can be done without those tools. One thing I have learned is that the best zebra setting has never been the same on any two cameras I've owned.

The best thing is that, once that zebra number is determined, I never need anything else to nail the exposure perfectly in almost any shooting situation. Zebras = the cameraman's best friend.
Old October 8th, 2011, 12:24 AM   #17
Trustee

Re: After Two Weeks of Shooting with the XF 300 ... Warnings and Cautions to the new

Thanks for that info Doug, It confirms what I have found, i.e. the camera has to be set up correctly depending on which settings are in use. Perhaps I was being too naive in thinking that Zebras were a set standard in the same way that exposure meters are (in theory anyway).
Old November 6th, 2011, 10:51 AM   #18
Major Player

Regarding the Rocker/Zoom Ring is there any way that we could "voice" our concerns and our vote to have both options available all the time to Canon so they could give us a firmware update in the future?

On the XLH1a both were always available at the same time and I know I will come a "cropper" sometime in the future.
Old November 6th, 2011, 04:35 PM   #19
Old Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan McCormick View Post
Regarding the Rocker/Zoom Ring ..... I know I will come a "cropper" sometime in the future.
Done it already. Quite unnerving, and I even knew it!

G
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2011, 01:07 PM   #20
Major Player

So, regarding the zoom switch is there anywhere we can "voice" our concerns? I do not know why they would leave this out when previous Canon series have had this feature. I think Doug J mentions on his DVD that he is used to that but seems weird - I can imagine a dual option available and maybe turn one off as an option switch. .......
Old November 15th, 2011, 09:50 PM   #21
Major Player

One other newbie tip: don't use the shoulder strap to carry your camera without covering the viewfinder because the balance makes the viewfinder point toward the sun - which burns the vf.

Oh and there are a number of ways you can accidentally bump it into auto mode, which drives me nuts. Tape down all 4,327 of the auto buttons so they don't get turned on by accident.
Chuck Fadely is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders