Matching XF100 and 5D Mark II/muddy footage at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Canon XF705, XF405, XF305, XF205 and XF105 (with SDI), Canon XF400, XF300, XF200 and XF100 (without SDI).

Old November 7th, 2011, 02:09 PM   #1
New Boot

Matching XF100 and 5D Mark II/muddy footage

Hi everyone,

I finally received my new XF100 in the mail, after it was backordered for some time. I purchased the XF100 as a second camera to compliment my 5D Mark II and to use it in situations where the MKII might be difficult.

I've read through most of the manual and have done a good deal of searching online regarding the picture settings in an effort to make it match with the 5D MKII footage. I applied former BBC cameraman Alan Robert's settings (http://thebrownings.name/WHP034/pdf/..._XF100-105.pdf), but I'm still seeing a lot of noise/grain.

Additionally, the footage looks, I suppose...muddy to me? Not in all circumstance, but quite often the results look really bland and muted and kind of *blah*.

Perhaps I've been spoiled by the deep saturation of the 5D MKII, but if I'm going to use these cameras together, it's important to match the colors.

Does anyone have experience with this? Is there a technique in post production? Or should I also flatten the 5D with a profile like CineStyle?

I'd be very appreciative of any help.

Thanks!

Cheers,
Elissa
Elissa Bogos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2011, 12:39 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Matching XF100 and 5D Mark II/muddy footage

Elissa - see this thread for a lot of info on this:

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xf...l-cameras.html

The XF100 comes with settings that are quite flat - both color and contrast. I didn't find the BBC settings to be much of an improvement. If you are doing a lot of adjustment in post, the flat settings give you more to work with, but that's not what I prefer. The link I gave, plus a few older threads give a lot of details on Custom Picture settings that give punchier color, more contrast, deeper blacks, etc. Just try some of these settings as a starting point and experiment.

On the graininess, be sure and use the Gain limiter in the menus.
David Dixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2011, 09:46 PM   #3
New Boot

Re: Matching XF100 and 5D Mark II/muddy footage

Thanks, David! I've tried some of the other profiles and they really make a difference.
Elissa Bogos is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders