Evf caps have arrived-get yours now! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Canon XF705, XF405, XF305, XF205 and XF105 (with SDI), Canon XF400, XF300, XF200 and XF100 (without SDI).

Old March 23rd, 2011, 11:53 AM   #1
Go Cycle

Evf caps have arrived-get yours now!

Canon has just received the XF series EVF caps. The cost is $2.95 each and shipping is $6.95. I would order a few directly from CANON PROFESSIONAL PARTS as they can get lost easy.

The part#: D54-016-000 Phone#1-866-510-1335

Here is what I did: There is a very small hole on the side of the Viewfinder Cap. I took a small elastic hair band and tied the band to the rear shoulder clip located above the output area. I placed a piece of velcro above the output area and a piece of velcro on the outside of the small cap. The cap now swings-off the EVF and I attach same to the velcro. This is a REAL easy piece to lose-real easy. So, now the EVF cap is attached to the body of the camera at all times.

Why the EVF CAP in the first place? Because, there is a DEFECT in the TOP layer of the EVF. Even a small amount of light COULD cause a yellow burn-in on the EVF surface. Canon must know this and has introduced these EVF caps which are really like PLUGS that are placed within the rubber eyecup.

Good luck.....hope you never have a problem like I did-even on a cloudy day and I was aware of the EVF problem from prior posts.
Old March 23rd, 2011, 01:12 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Evf caps have arrived-get yours now!

Does the burn in problem also apply to the XF100/105 series?
Philip Lipetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2011, 01:33 PM   #3
Major Player

Could you possibly post a pic of the cap and how it fits the camera?

Andy S
Andy Solaini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2011, 05:28 PM   #4
Go Cycle

I placed velcro and a small strap to the EVF plug as well as a bright RED DOT as this is very easy to lose. I placed a small velcro piece to the rear battery door so the EVF cap/plug is out of the way. I also used a small neck card holder and attached the female part to the cap.

See attachments.
Attached Thumbnails
Evf caps have arrived-get yours now!-cap-1.jpg   Evf caps have arrived-get yours now!-cap-2.jpg  

Evf caps have arrived-get yours now!-cap-3.jpg  
Old March 24th, 2011, 02:13 AM   #5
Major Player

Hi

Hard to believe: A camcorder sensitive to light! :-o

/Bo
Bo Sundvall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2011, 08:13 AM   #6
New Boot

CORRECTION: The part number FOR THE EVF CAP for the 300 and 305 is:
The part#: D54-0160-000
Phone#1-866-481-2569

I was also told they have no protector for the XF-100 so I ended up making my own until I hear otherwise.
Michael Fousie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2011, 06:00 PM   #7
Regular Crew

My wife stitched up a small sock from dark material with elastic which fits snugly over the viewfinder for our XF100. A camera that can't go in the sun, amazing!
Doug Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2011, 08:03 PM   #8
Trustee

I use my kids old baby socks on my cameras. And Canon isn't the only brand with this issue. A friend toasted his Panny 170 evf to the cost of about $250. It was exposed for less than a minute to the AZ sun! I then found the thread about all Panny evfs being susceptible.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders