My xf100 just arrived today! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders

Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Canon XF705, XF405, XF305, XF205 and XF105 (with SDI), Canon XF400, XF300, XF200 and XF100 (without SDI).

Old July 30th, 2011, 03:46 PM   #1
Regular Crew

My xf100 just arrived today!

So I have been using a canon xh a1 for several years
and decided to upgrade. I was deciding between the
xf300 vs the xf100. I went with the xf100 to save a little $$$
especially since I am an advanced user but video is not my
full time job.

My first worry is this camera is so small compared to the xh a1 I didn't get
to try one before I bought one. So I was very surprised on how small and light the
camera is!

I am hoping the video quality will be at least as good as the xh a1 with the advantage
of digital media

I will keep people posted
Richard Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2011, 04:20 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: My xf100 just arrived today!

Hi Richard,
Congrats on your new camera & wishing you years of happy shooting!

Also just jumped in & playing with my XF100 for the first time today. This is a big upgrade from a 7D.

Special thanks to everyone that has posted on this forum, it's helped me make this decision and I've learned a lot about how to set it up.

Shot some test footage, but the Canon Utility can't see anything on the card. Not sure if this is because my card reader does not have UDMA compatible printed on it, so presume it's not. Using Sandisk Extreme 32G cards. We'll get a USB3 reader and see. Am I right on this anyone? Thanks.

Regards,
Doug.

Last edited by Doug Bailey; July 30th, 2011 at 05:59 PM.
Doug Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2011, 07:51 PM   #3
Trustee

Richard, I think your chin is gonna hit the floor if you're used to seeing hdv from the a1. The 50mbs full 1920x1080 progressive is in a very different league. I have used the 105 a few times and its better than many of the larger cameras out there. Cuts seamlessly with my 300.

As for the card reader, I use a sandisk fw800 reader which works perfectly. You should be transferring the data off the card before trying to view or converting it. Plenty of threads on workflow so I won't go into it not knowing what edit rig you have.

Enjoy your 100 and prepare to be blown away by the image coming from it!
Old July 31st, 2011, 01:08 PM   #4
New Boot

I too moved from the XH A1 to the XF100. Canon lent me one just before they were put on sale and my first opinion when I got to handle it was "It's a toy", but it truly is an amazing bit of kit, within a day or two I'd decided to buy one. I'm about to sell mine to move on to the XF300/305 purely for the extra zoom but if you don't need that there really is no better camera. As a side note, I knew I'd made the right camera choice when I'd shot some Alice Cooper footage in a darkened venue, (which I thought would come out quite poorly), I locked the gain at a max of 6 throughout and when I returned to the office and started editing one of my producers walked past and asked me who had given me an EPK..... Enough said? Happy shooting Sir
David Mepham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2011, 01:24 AM   #5
Inner Circle

We have both an XF105 & an XF305 & I am not sure that we would ever have bought the larger if the smaller had been on the market first. The difference in video quality is indistinguishable. The XF305 does have the 18X zoom lens but there is little else that we miss when using the baby. In my hands the XA10 which uses the same chip also has XLR audio but records to AVCHD is too tiny. The XF305 is pretty bulky in comparison although lighter weight than you might imagine if you are used to an XH-A1.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2011, 08:49 PM   #6
Regular Crew

so far so good there is a lot there under the hood!
has anyone made any cool pesetas yet?
Richard Kane is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders