XF300 Pattern issue with video at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders

Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders
Canon XF705, XF405, XF305, XF205 and XF105 (with SDI), Canon XF400, XF300, XF200 and XF100 (without SDI).

Old December 31st, 2011, 12:26 PM   #1
New Boot

XF300 Pattern issue with video

Hello this is my first ever pro cam. I've had a very rough start with this camera. It was in for repairs for the entire month of november already. I purchased it September 1, 2011. Now recently when filming I've noticed certain patterns appear. This is visible in good light scenes as well but minor in compared to darker scenes.

Here is a test video: The pattern is also there on good light scenes as well but harder to see.

Pattern XF300 - YouTube

when i go through my footage from the last 3 trips it's only VERY visible from the last trip. it's more faint in the other trips.

does anyone know what causes this. I tried filming in auto, full manual, full auto etc and the problem persists. filmed in perfect conditions and windy conditions like the video.

I guess I'll have to send it in again for repairs.

I don't know but I"m at my breaking point with Canon. 2 out of the 5 months with no use and lost money and a terrible experience with my first ever pro cam from day 1.

1. Had issues with stuck pixels and sent it for repair
2. Had issues with back focus and sent it to be fixed.
3. Had issue with burnt in view finder.
4. Now this issue with weird patterns.
5. Lots of night footage lost from Vegas and not to mention all the footage lost from the last few trips. (but the good light footage doable.)
6. All 3 hours of fiming last trip is lost.

Thanks
Edward Klassen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2011, 12:46 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: XF300 Pattern issue with video

If you mean the patterning in the sky, that sure looks like an encoding issue when you rendered the clips out from your editing software.
Have you tried playing back the clip from in-camera to an HDTV via the HDMI link? I'd be very surprised if those artifacts would be visible then...
Old December 31st, 2011, 01:02 PM   #3
New Boot

I have played most of the clips from december in native format on my 46inch HDTV and the problem is amplified even more as it's not converted to youtube. I have VLC player, Canon utility.

Clips played before dec 2 (before that it was in for repairs) do not have this issue.

Edit: Just played a bunch of clips via HDMI on my t.v and the patterns are all visible.
Old December 31st, 2011, 01:10 PM   #4
Old Boot

Check your product Identifier number.

G
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2011, 01:22 PM   #5
New Boot

As in serial number.

Do I need to post that here or should I.
Old December 31st, 2011, 01:34 PM   #6
Old Boot

Check the numbers tally with original your paid invoice. First thing I'd look for. And no, none of us need to see it.

I've got 2 XM2s, great lil cameras - STILL! - and both have been to the Canon hospital on 3 refits. Each time I make a clear note of each serial number.

G
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2011, 08:46 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Hmm, must be going blind.................

I've watched that video maybe a dozen times and the only thing I can see is possible contamination of either the sensor or a lens element with some kind of crud - pattern, nope.

Anyone want to get a bit more specific about this "pattern"?

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2012, 02:57 AM   #8
Trustee

It looks like a small amount of posterization, this could be caused through compression. Generally this will show up in large areas with similar tones.

Happy New Year to all.
Old January 1st, 2012, 04:47 AM   #9
New Boot

Thanks for all the responses and hope everyone has had a good new year.

I can upload more videos tomorrow if anyone likes or i can post a link to download a sample of native footage.

I was shooting with BBC CP if that helps. I also use a B+W MRC UV filter which is left on always when outdoors. Not sure if that is a problem or not.

When really looking close at my footage i really notice this "many lines pattern" in the grassy areas and darker scenes or when even in excellent light when panning if one area is darker like a grassy hill and the top half of the scene is blue sky then it really shows up.

For me i can see the potential of this camera and it suits my needs especially the 18x lens but I haven't had a lot of time to make my own mistakes and learn from them when other issues keep arising.

Thanks.
Old January 1st, 2012, 07:41 AM   #10
Major Player

What level of coring, gain and denoiser did you used?

Try set denoiser to 0 (no denoiser), gain -3 or -6dB and coring set to +3.

Last edited by Pavel Sedlak; January 2nd, 2012 at 02:48 AM. Reason: coring +3
Pavel Sedlak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2012, 03:02 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Klassen View Post
Thanks for all the responses and hope everyone has had a good new year.

I can upload more videos tomorrow if anyone likes or i can post a link to download a sample of native footage.

I was shooting with BBC CP if that helps. I also use a B+W MRC UV filter which is left on always when outdoors. Not sure if that is a problem or not.

When really looking close at my footage i really notice this "many lines pattern" in the grassy areas and darker scenes or when even in excellent light when panning if one area is darker like a grassy hill and the top half of the scene is blue sky then it really shows up.

For me i can see the potential of this camera and it suits my needs especially the 18x lens but I haven't had a lot of time to make my own mistakes and learn from them when other issues keep arising.

Thanks.
Glad you've brought this topic up. My XF300 shows a horizontal line pattern as well (more visible in the shadow area – see attached screenshot). Don't want to pull away from your thread, but I'd like to refer to my previous thread about this issue.

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xf...n-visible.html
Attached Thumbnails
XF300 Pattern issue with video-xf300_sensor_pattern.jpg  

Last edited by Martin Steimann; January 2nd, 2012 at 03:08 AM. Reason: file upload
Martin Steimann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2012, 03:52 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Now I'm really starting to wonder whether I'm going blind..................

If there's a horizontal pattern in that last screen shot that isn't because it's only a 1080, I'm stuffed if I can see it.

Come on, folks, is this real or are you just making it up to keep the forum going?

One thing I can assure you of - if the subject matter is of interest to the viewers and it's riveting, it wouldn't matter if it was shot on a good 'ol box brownie; so you lot navel gazing at this cameras supposed invisible deficiencies is somewhat, er, bizarre.

Er, Where's my white cane?

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2012, 04:13 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Sorry for messing this up, maybe I should have called the pattern „vertical“, it seems as if every second line (out of 1920, from top to bottom) differs in luminance value.
Old January 2nd, 2012, 07:03 AM   #14
Regular Crew

I can see it and I've been partying for 2 days!
Matt Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2012, 07:30 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Happy New Year, Matt!
I have to admit the pattern is not that pronounced in the original frame and most often subtle in „real world shooting“. To point out the issue to Canon I've emphasized the effect on this very frame by setting up an AE composition.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders