DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XF Series 4K and HD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xf-series-4k-hd-camcorders/)
-   -   Any issues mixing footage from XF100 and XF300? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xf-series-4k-hd-camcorders/526591-any-issues-mixing-footage-xf100-xf300.html)

Justin Rose January 25th, 2015 03:54 PM

Any issues mixing footage from XF100 and XF300?

Hi Folks

I'm selecting cameras for a 2-camera documentary shoot next month.

I have an XF100 - familiar with it's advantages and limitations.

I have 4 options for the cameras, all different varieties on the XF range: my 100 and a rented 300 or 200; 2 rented 200s, or 2 rented 300s.

Obviously, it'll be cheaper to use my own; my main concern is with dealing with the images in post, so my question is - have others tried to combine footage from the various XF models and how did they go? Seamless . . . or . . . ?

There'll be plenty of low light situations - comments re the ability of each model in low light? (I don't think it's a strong point of the XF100).

Many thanks for any comments and advice.

Jack D. Hubbard January 31st, 2015 02:12 AM

Re: Any issues mixing footage from XF100 and XF300?

I use an XF300 as a primary and an XF100 as a BCam. Both are very solid cameras. I have had the 300 since early 2011, it is a workhorse. I also use the 100 if traveling and I have to pack light. No problems in mixing footage. They use the same codec and CF cards. Zero technical problems. Worth keeping for the moment, and I don't see the need to upgrade until the 4K discussion gets further sorted. There are low light limitations for both cameras. I guess it depends on what you mean by low light. I tend to light many interviews, outside and inside. I think once you get past +12db the picture gets noisy.

Regards,

Jack Hubbard

Josh Chesarek February 1st, 2015 08:40 PM

Are you able to get the colors to match in camera or just in post? I found a few presets on the forums that got my 105 and 305 close but you can still see a noticibile difference in the colors when I mix them live. It is more prominant in Artificial light compared to Daylight. I mix via the HD-SDI Feed.

Thanks,

-Josh C.

Erick Perdomo February 1st, 2015 11:05 PM

hey...I too use my canon xf300 as the main camera and the XF100 as b camera for live events such as dance performances etc and the first times I could notice a noticeable difference in white balance etc but then I came across a picture custom created by another videographer- XF MATCH -which brought them closer in look etc...I can honestly say that I get better results when both cameras are set to XF MATCH...
i'm sure the specifics are available somewhere on the web..these 2 cameras have been very useful to me and even now that I'm tempted to buy a Canon C100 (I have a Canon 70d for some shallow depth of field work...ok for the price) I realize that what I do most-events-weddings etc really are well covered by the XF line since there is enough light available...I never go over +12db gain on my Canon XF300 and XF100- even with some noise reduction settings..+6db is great...I will wait til something better comes out. I'm trying not to be seduced by all the new toys and 4K etc. This is a parttime business for now and these cameras let me do my job well.
now...if only a large sensor camera could also have a fantastic autofocus when needed...then I would get one!
E

Ian Chapman February 10th, 2015 04:12 PM

hello...anyone got the link to the XF MATCH profile please?

Josh Chesarek February 10th, 2015 04:38 PM

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xf...ml#post1779608

This got me pretty close in certain lighting but not all. I had enough business doing 3 camera shoots that I now shoot with 3 305s and they just match.