DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Editing 24f options... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/100406-editing-24f-options.html)

David Warren August 3rd, 2007 07:25 AM

Editing 24f options...

So.. i used to use premiere pro 2.0 for editing footage from my A1.. even used a few trials for cineform on a couple projects where quality was more an issue.. tried lots of different intermediate codec options though none of them seemed to work as well as cineform.. but i can't really afford to buy cineform so its not a long-term solution..

also, now i've upgraded to premire pro cs3.. runs much smoother on my machine.. but cineform is practically useless because of some bug that causes it to jump to the end of the timeline every time i hit 'play'..

so i'm trying to decide what my options are.. i've been wanting to switch over to Avid eventually for awhile now.. and i just read about its 'DNxHD Codec' for intermediate editing...

i dont know why adobe doesnt include something like this with cs3.. if anything they've REMOVED support for hdv, especially now that hey have no support for 24p/f editing..

so.. can anyone suggest any options besides either shooting in 60i from now on, or switching to vegas or avid?

thanks
-dave

Pete Bauer August 3rd, 2007 07:46 AM

Don't know if it'll solve your problem, but in the last day Cineform has posted new builds of all the Cineform products containing numerous bug fixes. This type of problem has been reported before:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=99380

If you haven't already, give the new build a try. If that doesn't solve the problem, then it would probably be best to file a trouble ticket with Cineform.

Richard Alvarez August 3rd, 2007 07:55 AM

Avid supports 24 p but NOT Canon's 24fHDV format.

David Newman August 3rd, 2007 08:50 AM

The jump to the end of the timeline was addressed in the last build.

David Warren August 3rd, 2007 08:48 PM

from what i understand NLE's handle 24f and 24p footage the same way, dont they? i.e. editing 24f in fcp just use the 24p easy setup?
and yes i saw the bugfix for cineform right after i posted this.. doh.. but its not really a long term solution for me.. atleast not until i can afford aspect hd.. neohdv worked ok for premiere 2.0 but not for cs3..

David Newman August 3rd, 2007 09:36 PM

While NEOHDV is not designed for CS3 like Aspect is, it should work, what didn't work?

Nathan Quattrini August 4th, 2007 10:30 PM

Wait...you can`t import 24 frame HDV into Premiere CS 3?

Michael Oliver Bott August 8th, 2007 07:02 AM

Hmm, I can.
There is no preset but I can choose between 25, 23.976 and 29.97 Frames per second. I just tried it with on of the old XH G1 clips postet here and it works. I'm surprised because I heard Premiere CS3 doesn't support it.

David Warren August 8th, 2007 07:11 AM

it only let me choose between 25 and 30.. its mostly adobe's fault for not having a 24p/f profile available..

Michael Oliver Bott August 8th, 2007 07:29 AM

Yes, but for me it is easy to create and safe one by myself. The Question ist why there are apparently different versions of the same program?

David Warren August 14th, 2007 06:47 AM

just checked and premeire DOES let you choose 23.976 (24) fps but only if you set the resolution to 1080p (1920x1080).. so not that useful..

im doing some quick editing in premiere right now using an updated trial version of the software.. fixed the problem i was having before.. but i found out another thing that 'breaks it' causing it to skip to the end.. if you're editing a 60i project and then import a 24f clip.. itll just skip to the end no matter what you're trying to play.. even after you render it, converting it to 60i.. very annoying as just exporting the points around the clip im trying to splice in is going to take approx an hour.. hope i got it right the first time..