Editing 24f options... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old August 3rd, 2007, 07:25 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Editing 24f options...

So.. i used to use premiere pro 2.0 for editing footage from my A1.. even used a few trials for cineform on a couple projects where quality was more an issue.. tried lots of different intermediate codec options though none of them seemed to work as well as cineform.. but i can't really afford to buy cineform so its not a long-term solution..

also, now i've upgraded to premire pro cs3.. runs much smoother on my machine.. but cineform is practically useless because of some bug that causes it to jump to the end of the timeline every time i hit 'play'..

so i'm trying to decide what my options are.. i've been wanting to switch over to Avid eventually for awhile now.. and i just read about its 'DNxHD Codec' for intermediate editing...

i dont know why adobe doesnt include something like this with cs3.. if anything they've REMOVED support for hdv, especially now that hey have no support for 24p/f editing..

so.. can anyone suggest any options besides either shooting in 60i from now on, or switching to vegas or avid?

thanks
-dave
David Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2007, 07:46 AM   #2
Wrangler

Don't know if it'll solve your problem, but in the last day Cineform has posted new builds of all the Cineform products containing numerous bug fixes. This type of problem has been reported before:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=99380

If you haven't already, give the new build a try. If that doesn't solve the problem, then it would probably be best to file a trouble ticket with Cineform.
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2007, 07:55 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Avid supports 24 p but NOT Canon's 24fHDV format.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2007, 08:50 AM   #4
CTO, CineForm Inc.

The jump to the end of the timeline was addressed in the last build.
Old August 3rd, 2007, 08:48 PM   #5
Regular Crew

from what i understand NLE's handle 24f and 24p footage the same way, dont they? i.e. editing 24f in fcp just use the 24p easy setup?
and yes i saw the bugfix for cineform right after i posted this.. doh.. but its not really a long term solution for me.. atleast not until i can afford aspect hd.. neohdv worked ok for premiere 2.0 but not for cs3..
Old August 3rd, 2007, 09:36 PM   #6
CTO, CineForm Inc.

While NEOHDV is not designed for CS3 like Aspect is, it should work, what didn't work?
Old August 4th, 2007, 10:30 PM   #7
Major Player

Wait...you can`t import 24 frame HDV into Premiere CS 3?
Old August 8th, 2007, 07:02 AM   #8
Tourist

Hmm, I can.
There is no preset but I can choose between 25, 23.976 and 29.97 Frames per second. I just tried it with on of the old XH G1 clips postet here and it works. I'm surprised because I heard Premiere CS3 doesn't support it.
Michael Oliver Bott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2007, 07:11 AM   #9
Regular Crew

it only let me choose between 25 and 30.. its mostly adobe's fault for not having a 24p/f profile available..
Old August 8th, 2007, 07:29 AM   #10
Tourist

Yes, but for me it is easy to create and safe one by myself. The Question ist why there are apparently different versions of the same program?
Michael Oliver Bott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2007, 06:47 AM   #11
Regular Crew

just checked and premeire DOES let you choose 23.976 (24) fps but only if you set the resolution to 1080p (1920x1080).. so not that useful..

im doing some quick editing in premiere right now using an updated trial version of the software.. fixed the problem i was having before.. but i found out another thing that 'breaks it' causing it to skip to the end.. if you're editing a 60i project and then import a 24f clip.. itll just skip to the end no matter what you're trying to play.. even after you render it, converting it to 60i.. very annoying as just exporting the points around the clip im trying to splice in is going to take approx an hour.. hope i got it right the first time..
David Warren is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders