XH-A1 started doing this last night.. - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old August 20th, 2007, 01:32 PM   #16
Major Player

What is the Canon Users Club?

I've "joined" it with every cam, but I've never
received anything from them on it. I was hoping for a secret decoder ring..or a Canon "member's only" jacket....with record buttons on the shoulders. That would be badass

I've also never had a problem with my cams, so I've not contacted them on it. I'd rather keep it that way.
Eric Weiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2007, 01:34 PM   #17
Contributor

You didn't get your secret ring? What about the secret handshake--if you didn't get that either you better check your registration. How about the coupon for a dozen free Krispy Kremes?
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2007, 01:47 PM   #18
Major Player

Curse them! All I’ve ever received is years of wonderful images and trouble free equipment at affordable price points! I want my damn donuts and handshake instructions!
Old August 20th, 2007, 01:51 PM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Weiss View Post
What is the Canon Users Club?
I believe if they estimate a long repair time they'll try to provide you a loaner camera. Additionally, they offer a substantial discount for anual cleaning/maintenance I believe. Its free to join, certainly not a bad deal.
Old August 20th, 2007, 02:19 PM   #20
Major Player

thanks! yeah, sounds nice. i've sent in the cards in the past, just never required any further svcs. i don't think i got one with the A1 or Hv20 though.
my girlfriend deals with that..once the package arrives it's like xmas morning.
i run upstairs with the new toy and anything that's made out of paper is dead to me.
Old August 20th, 2007, 05:55 PM   #21
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Weiss View Post
thanks! yeah, sounds nice. i've sent in the cards in the past, just never required any further svcs. i don't think i got one with the A1 or Hv20 though.
my girlfriend deals with that..once the package arrives it's like xmas morning.
i run upstairs with the new toy and anything that's made out of paper is dead to me.
I don't have the link right here, but I seem to recall that I registered my A1 online. I think you just need the serial number and you're good to go. Maybe someone with better memory than me can confirm or deny that...
Old August 24th, 2007, 09:18 PM   #22
Tourist

I had the exact same problem

I received my A1 in late May when my folks graciously brought it down to me in Argentina and not 2 weeks after they left my camera started acting up and output both to LCD and to tape was basically green. I fooled around with every possible scenario but to no avail.

I called Canon service center and they told me to send it in but i also called Brian at Zotz digital (they sold me the camera) and told him about the problem. He called his Canon rep and they agreed to issue me a new camera. So, if your camera is fairly fresh out of the box, don't not call the vendor to see if they might work it out for you.

This is my first time to actually write anything on the forum but i have to say that the information i have found on here has been invaluable. I used to be a shooter/editor for NBC news back in the days of 3/4" tape and then Beta, so i have struggled a bit with the new technology and without this site i would be more lost than i already am. Thanks Chris
Harris Donovan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2007, 09:48 AM   #23
Contributor

Thanks for posting that. Sometimes there's a problem, and it pays to only buy from a reputable dealer.

I also got into video back in the 3/4 days, coming from 16mm film, then moved to Betacam and then DVCAM and Avid, and now HDV and FCP (though I still shoot with a DSR500 for biz purposes). I also had endless frustration until I learned how to deal with the electronic lenses and menu controls and other eccentricities each of the 1/3" chip cameras seems to have. Got lots of good and helpful info on the boards too.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2007, 12:34 AM   #24
Major Player

Under what conditions does you A1 do this?

Where have you guys seen this issue of color shift take place? Is it consistent, or does it happen infrequently?
Every time my A1 has had this color shift issue, it's been indoors only, where I am in the same small room at my clients', with recessed lighting. I use a pair of Lowell Tota ligts (running 500 watts ea. plus one Lowell Omni at 500 watts). The walls are "cottage white" paint, with very light, warm colored wood desk.
It never does it anywhere else. But it does not necessarilly do it every time I shoot there, either.
My "work-around" has been to use the "Auto Levels Adjust" feature in Premiere Pro 1.5.1, but man, that takes almost 2 hours to do on a 40 minute video. The same basic problem exists and I still need to make such level adjustments in post exist whether or not I manually set the white balance or use it on auto.
Steve Wolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2007, 05:43 PM   #25
Tourist

Steve,
My A1 would do a color shift after being on approximately 20 minutes, no matter the setting or the lighting. I tried full auto, full manual, camera reset, new batteries, and any other imaginable combination of things but the bottom line was that my particular camera was a factory "lemon." Seriously, every time i turned it on within 20 minutes it would "go green," for lack of a better description, and fortunately Canon was considerate enough to issue me a brand new "in the box" replacement. The new one works great and I am just starting to really get a feel for it and am having fun with the custom presets available in the forum. I'm sure i'll be posting some questions of my own in the not too distant future.
Harris Donovan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders