Cleaning sensor or behind lens? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old March 16th, 2008, 02:06 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Cleaning sensor or behind lens?

When focusing extremely close with my XH-A1, I can see some dust or something which is not on the front of the lens--I can't tell if it's on the rear element or sensor. Is this something I need to have serviced, or is there a safeish way for me to clean in myself?
Jim Newberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2008, 08:55 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Hi Jim.........

If there is indeed "stuff" anywhere behind the front lens element or on the sensor, there is no way for a user to fix it. At least, not without shooting your warranty down in flames.

Intrigued as to how it could have got there, the lens modules are, as far as I'm aware, completely sealed units with no external openings whatsoever.

That said, I had a lens module replaced in my XL1s some years ago - the "new" sealed module when examined carefully looked like someone had flicked their cigarrette into it - white flakes of "stuff" everywhere.

The Canon tech was utterly gobsmacked.

So, it can happen.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2008, 09:45 PM   #3
New Boot

Are you sure that it is not just in the eyepiece? Lift the eyepiece up as far as it will go, on the bottom side you will find a little rubber plug. Remove this plug and carefully clean the lens with a cotton swab. Let us know if this alleviates your problems.
Ernest Freeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2008, 01:31 PM   #4
Contributor

Are you seeing it on your monitor? If not, then it's on the viewfinder.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2008, 02:03 PM   #5
Trustee

I doubt if a zoom lens can be hermetically sealed, so I guess if the cam was used in a dirty environment it is possible for particles to get inside.

Richard
Richard Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2008, 09:49 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I shoot at the beach in strong wind all the time and I've had a grain of sand appear on the inside surface of the front lens element twice. It shows up as a shadow in the footage. Rather than send the camera to canon and be without it for a several weeks (which is how long it took to resolve a jammed tape) I unscrewed the front lens element and a quick blast of air removed the grain.
Andy Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2008, 10:38 PM   #7
Major Player

Dirty environment? No, it's very easy to get dust on the sensor. I babied my XH A1, and only ever shot indoors, but I still got two big gobs of dust on it after just three weeks of ownership. I have to be careful to shoot at f/3.4 to avoid it; I'm glad I don't try to shoot macro very often. To see if your camera has dust, shoot f/9, infinity focus, on a monotone light subject, exposed to the right, then examine it at 100%
Daniel Browning is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders