XH A1 Does not show up in Vista at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old March 14th, 2008, 07:51 PM   #1
New Boot

XH A1 Does not show up in Vista

Has anyone resolved this problem yet?
I plug my XH A1 into a working ieee1394 port and nothing happens, no "ding" and look for driver software, no device under device manager (except the IEEE host controller).
I have tried SD, HD, Auto, Downconvert, etc. No luck on anything yet? Windows Vista Home Premium.

Is the only solution really to go back to XP?

I don't even have XP, and can't use some of my CS3 on it (After Effects, etc. gives me problems on XP).

Anybody think of anything I can try?
Brian Overman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2008, 08:36 PM   #2
Trustee

Are you turning on the cam power, setting the dial on VCR?

I have used the XH-A1 with Windows XP, and now with Vista Home Premium, no problem, no difference.

Windows may not report a problem with IEEE1394, but you should look closely at the connector on the PC side. I did once have a connection problem caused by bent pins there.
Tom Roper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2008, 02:01 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Brian I don't know what you are doing wrong but my XHA1 shows up straight away in vista I am using a Toshiba Satelite X200 S-20.
My NLE is Pinnacle Studio 11 not that it should make any difference because your computer should automatically see your cam without running any software.

Alan
Alan Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2008, 05:08 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Vista

try a copy of HDV split
Roy Feldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2008, 02:39 PM   #5
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Feldman View Post
try a copy of HDV split
This is what I use now. When I first connected my A1 to Vista Business on my Lenovo T60p, it recognized the device but it failed every attempt to install the driver. Apparently, said driver doesn't actually exist anywhere.

I gave up trying to make it work "correctly" since I've still been able to capture from tape.
Sean Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2008, 03:04 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I started having problems capturing video in XP Pro (which I had loaded on a new Dell XPS 410 that had come with Vista). I concluded that my firewire cards, made for a Vista system, were just not working right with XP. So, I upgraded to Vista Ultimate. Afterwards, I was able to capture with my HV20 just fine, and my XH A1 is recognized, but I'm having problems capturing from it, as described in a new thread I just started.
Will Schryver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2008, 10:40 PM   #7
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Roper View Post
Are you turning on the cam power, setting thedial on VCR?

I have used the XH-A1 with Windows XP, and now with Vista Home Premium, no problem, no difference.
but you should look closely at the connector on the PC side. I did once have a connection problem caused by bent pins there.
I am using VCR and trying Ext Control with Canon COnsole. Neither work. Panasonic DVX100 works gfine on same port with same cable.

What I do not have is a way to plug it in, I am using battery power only when connecting. Can anyone verify that they can successfully use a fully charged battery as power while connected to firwire?
Brian Overman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders