clean heads on new XH A1? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old July 8th, 2008, 02:02 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Guys, the Canon HV20 manual P92 says,

'To maintain the best picure quality we recommend using Canon (dry tapes).....and cleaning the heads frequently with a Canon xxxx cleaning cassette or a commercially available dry cleaning cassette. Do not use wet type cleaning cassettes as this may damage the camcorder'.

Most manufacturers recommend changing the DV heads and tape guides after 1000hrs record/play. That's one heck of a lot of tapes, I'd say you'd update the A1 before you run the heads out. So I play the cleaner for 10-15 seconds before every A1 shoot, I always use new DV tape.

I cleaned my A1 soon as I got it with a Panasonic (dry) cleaner tape and use Pana 83min MQ tapes. No dropouts till one day I changed tapes on a windy dusty airfield.

After many years running pro magnetic recorders, I'd never use a liquid and cloth or dry buds in a miniDV transport. Lint or cotton strands could easily get in the system.

Cheers.
Allan Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2008, 02:18 AM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Black View Post
After many years running pro magnetic recorders, I'd never use a liquid and cloth or dry buds in a miniDV transport. Lint or cotton strands could easily get in the system.
That's what chamois swabs are made for :)
Bill Busby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2008, 09:10 AM   #18
Contributor

Absolutely--use chamois swabs only if you do it manually. Back in the "old days" (ie., shooting Betacam with a BVW300) I was religious about manual head cleaning, pulling the side off the camera and doing it manually. In that camera the head life was only around 750 hours, and I always got at least the minimum. In talking with a Sony tech lining up my first head replacement, I asked about cleaning and he recommended using the cleaning tape for 5 seconds every 50 hours. I've been doing that ever since with a variety of cameras, including DVCAM and HDV. Properly used the cleaning tape doesn't harm the heads. But like anything else the key phrase there is "properly used."

While Canon never said in the manual to clean the heads when you get the camera out of the box, it's been common knowledge on this board for a long time. Do a search and you'll see lots of posts about it.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders