Urgent -- help! A1 only works in Auto! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old June 21st, 2008, 03:54 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Urgent -- help! A1 only works in Auto!

Something very weird. Cam was working fine last night, turned it on to shoot a performance today, and put it in TV. It says TV 30" (rather than TV 60) and I can't lock exposure or otherwise change shutter speed or exposure. Same in every setting. It won't change out of 30" (which I guess means shutter of 30) and no matter what setting I put it in, Manual, AV or whatever, there is no way to manually control exposure.

A friend who has an A1 suggested hitting "Reset" under system, which I did. Turned everything Japanese, I put it to English, and lost my presets, etc., and the focus got very funky, as if it's messing with back focus. I zoom in, focus, pull back and it goes soft. The focus doesn't hold through a zoom. What the -- ??

Anyone have any ideas? I have to shoot two more shows today and three tomorrow. It's a 3 camera shoot, but with my camera tanking, we're down to 2.

Anyone in the LA area want to rent me an A1 for tonight/tomorrow??

Help! THanks.
Jeff Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2008, 05:29 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Try our sponsors, Birns & Sawyer and Abel Cine Tech, although I don't know if they're answering phones this late on a Saturday. Sounds like the camera needs to go to Canon Service down in Irvine first thing on Monday. Good luck,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2008, 06:43 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Nelson View Post
Something very weird. Cam was working fine last night, turned it on to shoot a performance today, and put it in TV. It says TV 30" (rather than TV 60) and I can't lock exposure or otherwise change shutter speed or exposure. Same in every setting. It won't change out of 30" (which I guess means shutter of 30) and no matter what setting I put it in, Manual, AV or whatever, there is no way to manually control exposure.
That is so weird. My XHA1 developed an intermittent fault about a month ago. Turns out it was a gold washer that had come loose inside.
Anyway, got the camera back from Canon NZ last week, and I have EXACTLY the same issue as you. No apeture control, shutter speed dial doesn't work and shutter speed says 30".
I have a PAL camera, so 30" is not available anyway. I rang Canon immediatly, as I'm literally losing $1000's waiting for camera to get back.
I hope they can fix it freaking quickly.
Old June 21st, 2008, 07:46 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks guys. My wife went over to Sammy's in Pasadena and picked up another A1, so we only lost about an hour, on 2 cameras, then back to 3 now.

Yeah, Chris, I'm taking it to Irvine Monday. Something electronic must have gone pssftttt...

Interesting that you, Dennis, have had the exact problem. Very weird. Fortunately I'm going on vacation and taking my HV30, so they can keep the XHA1 in Irvine for a bit if needed. But it is really puzzling, and a real pisser when you're getting ready to shoot a live event, and this happens! I will post what they tell me it was, once I get it back, in case someone else has this problem.
Jeff Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2008, 08:22 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Nelson View Post
I will post what they tell me it was, once I get it back, in case someone else has this problem.
Ditto... it's just too much of a coincidence for there not to be a common denominator.
Old June 24th, 2008, 02:25 AM   #6
Major Player

Hmmm, got mine back today, but all that was on the job sheet was "Access:- L/Cap, Tape."

I'm guessing they forgot to plug something back in when they first repaired the camera?
Old July 7th, 2008, 07:23 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Well I got my camera back a couple weeks ago while I was out of town and opened the box today. Here's what they said:

We have examined the product according to your request and, upon close inspection, the exact cause could not be identified but it was found that the unit did not function properly. Electrical adjustments were carried out on the main pcb assembly. Other inspection and cleaning were carried out, update firmware.

So there you go. Not much of an explanation, but at least after $240, it's working again...
Jeff Nelson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders