DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   My first real video edit - suggestions ? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/127514-my-first-real-video-edit-suggestions.html)

Benoit Bissonnette August 10th, 2008 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jayson Corcoran (Post 918918)
Do you think the editing of the footage is more important at the start of someones time in camera editing than the overall quality ?

By that I mean, do you think getting a clean and crisp end result is better than focusing my time on lighting etc ?

I don't think you can see video production as something you can skimp on certain areas. I've done professional photography for over 20 years and just embraced digital filmmaking since 1 year now. I thought it would be a lot easier just to get decent results... Gheeez, I was wrong!

I barely participate in the discussions here (I read a lot though) because I don't know have enough knowledge to throw in my 0.02 on 90% of what's discussed here. So, I keep reading, get inspired by so many people's work here, hoping one day I'll be one of those who can participate more and have something decent to show.

So far, I've found out the following: more you put efforts in getting great lighting, high quality sound, creative shots, nice photography, good movement, and a decent amount of footage, it makes your editing a little easier because you've got more material in your hands to play with. I say little easier because you still have to be creative with the material you've just shot. If your raw footage needs all sorts of color correction, noise removal, or is not well lit, the process just gets longer and more frustrating. This is where you fully understand that the "fix it in post" motto has its limits and you learn the hard way to get the shot right the first time!

Hope this helps,

Denise Wall August 11th, 2008 06:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jayson Corcoran (Post 918918)
Do you think the editing of the footage is more important at the start of someones time in camera editing than the overall quality ?

By that I mean, do you think getting a clean and crisp end result is better than focusing my time on lighting etc ?

If it's an either or, I'd go with the best edit. JMHO.

Will Mahoney August 11th, 2008 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denise Wall (Post 919122)
If it's an either or, I'd go with the best edit. JMHO.

Definitely. Yes, you want a quality video for your customers to see - but the information in the video is much more important than the look. Make sense?

Yes, spending time on lighting is important. But this isn't a feature film and lighting isn't that important to your message. Lighting can come later, as you see and realize that you need it.

For now, worry about capturing good images and driving a clear message to your audience.

Keep shooting.

Matthew Ebenezer August 15th, 2008 11:24 PM

Man, everyone beat me to the punch .... some awesome advice here for you Jayson.

Top Gear is the benchmark for car videography for sure. Some detail shots would really help sell what you guys do - i.e. cut in some shots of dials, tacho moving etc ...

You're a lucky man, this is the closest I've been to a Ferrari ... Canon XH-A1 - Day 3 - Car and Warbird Meet on Vimeo

Cheers,

Matthew.

Jayson Corcoran August 17th, 2008 03:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matthew Ebenezer (Post 920993)
Man, everyone beat me to the punch .... some awesome advice here for you Jayson.

Top Gear is the benchmark for car videography for sure. Some detail shots would really help sell what you guys do - i.e. cut in some shots of dials, tacho moving etc ...

You're a lucky man, this is the closest I've been to a Ferrari ... Canon XH-A1 - Day 3 - Car and Warbird Meet on Vimeo

Cheers,

Matthew.

If your ever in the UK, there will be a ferrari, lamborghini and porsche waiting for you to film !

And im dead serious....

Matthew Ebenezer August 17th, 2008 06:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jayson Corcoran (Post 921261)
If your ever in the UK, there will be a ferrari, lamborghini and porsche waiting for you to film !

And im dead serious....

Sounds great! I'm actually coming over in May next year so I might have to hold you to that :)

Jayson Corcoran August 17th, 2008 03:09 PM

No problem, what part of the UK you visiting ?
Im based in the midlands but have offices just outside Birmingham and London.

Matthew Ebenezer August 19th, 2008 05:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jayson Corcoran (Post 921396)
No problem, what part of the UK you visiting ?
Im based in the midlands but have offices just outside Birmingham and London.

We'll be visiting family in Beckenham plus doing the usual tourist stops.

Jayson Corcoran August 19th, 2008 06:50 AM

If your going to be visiting shakespears birthplace (most tourists do) im only 40km away.

Matthew Ebenezer August 19th, 2008 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jayson Corcoran (Post 921950)
If your going to be visiting shakespears birthplace (most tourists do) im only 40km away.

Cool! I'll keep it in mind for sure!