My first real video edit - suggestions ? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old August 6th, 2008, 12:15 PM   #1
Regular Crew

My first real video edit - suggestions ?

I know this is going to be poor in line with the work you guys do but its my first effort using the a1 and creator 10 software.
I would like to thank everyone who has helped me as ive gone from never doing any video work before and in fact having no camcorder to doing this within 6 weeks.

It can only get better I reckon :)

http://www.vimeo.com/1479069

Any ideas on how to get better footage ?
Jayson Corcoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2008, 12:18 PM   #2
Major Player

"You do not have permission to watch this video"
Bill Busby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2008, 12:41 PM   #3
Regular Crew

sorry, ive fixed it now.
Old August 6th, 2008, 08:08 PM   #4
Regular Crew

hey jayson,

i'm not an expert but i will give you my 2 cents.

all of your shots were static, no movement. the only movement i saw was the muffler slightly moving when you were gunning the engine, and when you moved your head a little bit. it almost could have been done with a still camera.

maybe some nice slow pans across the car, some very tight shots of the wheels, or muffler moving when your gunning the engine, a tight shot of you opening the car door and getting in, a shot of you pushing the pedal to the medal to give it all some context.

just a few ideas from a fellow amateur.

if you want to check out a couple of my firsts, and give me your 2 cents...

http://www.vimeo.com/1361423

you have a very nice car!

aloha

jai
Jai Gabbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2008, 09:58 PM   #5
Major Player

With what's already been mentioned, you used an upbeat tune yet the edits weren't upbeat. Especially in the beginning (still... slow dissolve to still after still, etc.). It doesn't "move". I'm not talking about the shots not moving... it's the cuts that don't. Plus there's 1min. of the same locked down shot, with the music still playing.

On a side note... I'd rather just hear that engine purr & roar... no music! Sweet car whether it's yours or not (there was no mention of ownership).

In time, you'll get better & "get it". :)
Bill Busby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2008, 02:01 AM   #6
Regular Crew

The car is mine (well company car) and I thank you for the comments.
I posted the clip on a ferrari forum im on (actually where I was given the link to this forum from when I first decided to buy a camcorder) and they said the exact same thing about the music so from now on its engine noise for me :)

Ill take on board what you guys have said and post another clip as soon as ive time.
Old August 7th, 2008, 01:16 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I agree with whats already been said. Tighter/closer shots. Camera movement. More cuts less dissolves. Better sound track.

The Ferrari is a beautiful car. Don't be afraid to get close to show off it's curves. Try different angles and perspectives.

If you want some ideas watch Top Gear :D
Russ Motyko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2008, 01:30 PM   #8
Major Player

Jayson,
I have to say that if I had access to that car, I think that I would live in it. Wow. What a job. Whatever it is. It is a dream subject in sound and shape. Good on ya!
Bill
Bill Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2008, 02:32 PM   #9
Major Player

Maybe you should have bought a stills camera?

;-)

Firstly I would get the car out of that garage. The lighting is awful.

Secondly I'd try to figure out why someone would want to watch the film and make the film accordingly.

If it's for car enthusiasts the engine noise would be appreciated more than irrelevant music.

It's a beautiful car that moves. I'd like to see it out and about doing stuff.

For me this film was really boring but I'm sure you can easily do a lot better.
Old August 7th, 2008, 02:59 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Our company is based on engine tuning, so this is the reason we filmed the car on the dynometer, we have open access to it and can show people the cars we have had in the workshop.
I am taking on board all comments and will get some open air footage and do better next time :)
Old August 8th, 2008, 01:54 PM   #11
Major Player

This was a good first effort. Now it's just time to tweak.

I do lots of vehicle stuff and I have some observations (others noted similar ideas.)

We really want to see something moving, and it doesn't have to be the camera.

You guys are obviously trying to support some sort of engine tuning ability, which is great. Show me some performance and movement.

I'd really like a close-up of the tailpipe rumbling, the wheel spinning on the dynojet, the computer screen that is flashing different numbers and parameters while the test is in progress. Show me the tach needle getting worked over or the speedometer holding steady at whatever the test speed is.

Also, show me some before and after Dyno numbers. Then you can take it outside and lay down a sick burnout or something equally impressive to your market. Do Ferrari owners pride themselves on gobs of power, or styling and looks? Or is it handling? Whatever your market likes, show it to them.

Show me how you can make my Ferrari (I wish) better and what it'll look like or do when you're done.

Good job on the video - keep moving forward.

Last edited by Will Mahoney; August 8th, 2008 at 01:57 PM. Reason: I'm a doofus that types too quicky and I forgot to recommend that he show us the tachometer on this bad boy.
Will Mahoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2008, 03:27 PM   #12
Regular Crew

These are more great suggestions and ones that will really work well for the project of showing what our company can do, the effect of showing tail pipes, tacho etc will I am sure work extremely well.
I will work on this next week.
Cheers for the help.
Old August 8th, 2008, 03:40 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Hi,

I think that the best way to improve your video is to ask yourself the not so obvious question: "What am I trying to show here". That might sound like a very stupid question but in fact it's not at all. I've done professional photography for over 20 years now and this is the first question I ALWAYS ask myself each time I press on the shutter! It's even more critical in video... you have to justify not only the framing of the shot but the movement too!

So, what's your motive here? That the Ferrari is a beautiful car? If so, show all the details of the craftsmanship that went into the design and its sexy curves. The Ferrari is a fast car and very powerful car, then make sure you grab that. It's got great technology in the motor? Well, go for those shots. You want to sell the car, that requires different shots... Do you want to show how a dynometer works? Then, the Ferrari might be irrelevant!

Once you've nailed what the video is about and what you're trying to show, then the editing, lighting, music, and the type of shots will just be your own artistic way to deliver the message you want your viewers to see and understand. Give 5 cameras to 5 different filmmakers and with the exact same subject and goal and you will get 5 totally different movies.

Keep working on this good start!

Last edited by Benoit Bissonnette; August 8th, 2008 at 05:11 PM. Reason: Changed the meaning of one of the last sentence
Benoit Bissonnette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2008, 10:52 AM   #14
Regular Crew

Not much to add but my impression is the dissolves are much too long, especially for the actual shot/still time used undissolved. As people have said, straight cuts would be better most of the time.

I think there's some "rule" that a single shot from the same angle should be no longer than seven seconds if you want to keep the viewer's attention. In this day and time, with cuts in commercials, etc., that are so fast you can barely focus before they change, seven seconds is probably too long.

I get bored easily and want things to move along. When I'm watching my own stuff and even I'm bored, I know things need to move more quickly. So basically, tighter, faster like others are saying.
Denise Wall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2008, 03:07 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Its funny how most comments are so similar, obviously because all the above is correct.
I did find myself watching top gear today and after reading here I viewed the show in a completely different way, the way of the editor and in many cases the change between shots is so quick I am sure there are upto 4 in a single second !
Also, as the last comment about the slow desolves, I have to say I personally liked the idea but after reading here and looking at the tv it is apparent that straight cuts are more pleasing to the eye.

I really am going to have a play over the next few weeks.

Do you think the editing of the footage is more important at the start of someones time in camera editing than the overall quality ?

By that I mean, do you think getting a clean and crisp end result is better than focusing my time on lighting etc ?
Jayson Corcoran is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders