Focus problem in SD at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old March 9th, 2009, 11:46 AM   #1
Major Player

Focus problem in SD

Hey Guys,
You may remember my post awhile back about focus issues with both of my A1s, well I have that solved in HD by raising the sharpening, and that is all done. I am still having a problem with SD. I shot some news this weekend and did an interview with a little girl. It was in 4x3 SD and I manually focussed. I zoomed in on her face focussed and then pulled back. When I watched the news Saturday night, the clip was out of focus. What in the world is going on? Am I just expecting too much out of SD or is there a problem with both cams now? Am I just so used to looking at HD that SD just looks out of focus? What's the deal, it is very frustrating for me. Sorry, I have no samples...
Bill
Old March 9th, 2009, 11:57 AM   #2
Regular Crew

I was getting what I thought were out of focus shots with landscape shots, I set a faster shutter speed and all was well, in Auto the XHA1 was sometimes setting a low 1/50 of a second shutter speed - not good for landscapes.
Brian Pratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2009, 12:26 PM   #3
Major Player

BRian,
I was shooting everying in Manual. and I don't know that it's a focus issue, becuase I had some shots that were ok, but the interview was just plain out of focus and I did everything I could think of to get it in focus with the zooming in to focus, etc. it is very frustrating...
Bill
Old March 9th, 2009, 03:38 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Grant View Post
Hey Guys,
You may remember my post awhile back about focus issues with both of my A1s, well I have that solved in HD by raising the sharpening, and that is all done. I am still having a problem with SD. I shot some news this weekend and did an interview with a little girl. It was in 4x3 SD and I manually focussed. I zoomed in on her face focussed and then pulled back. When I watched the news Saturday night, the clip was out of focus. What in the world is going on? Am I just expecting too much out of SD or is there a problem with both cams now? Am I just so used to looking at HD that SD just looks out of focus? What's the deal, it is very frustrating for me. Sorry, I have no samples...
Bill
I had the same SD problem, the focus looked fine in the viewfinder but when played back certain areas were soft. Sometimes the background and foreground were in focus but in-between was soft! how does that happen. Never a problem in HD so I vowed to tape in HD and down sample in post to avoid the problem. Others have posted the same problem on DVI. It almost looks like the camera has some processing like skin detail turned on (which it wasn't).
Old March 9th, 2009, 07:08 PM   #5
Major Player

yep, very soft. And I can't edit this, so I can't shoot in HD. I have to shoot and turn it in. I was hoping maybe there was a great preset for SD that upped the sharpening, etc. Thanks for the replies...
Bill

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders