XH-A1 and Audio Technica AT875R at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old May 10th, 2009, 10:58 AM   #1
Regular Crew

XH-A1 and Audio Technica AT875R

I am hoping someone can help me out with this one. I really like this mic, but when I have it connected up to my A1 I get a hum when I zoom, anyway to fix this? besides doing a boom stick. Hoping you all might have an idea for me to try.
thanks.
Andy Loos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2009, 03:50 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Andy is it an acoustic or an electrically induced hum? Can't imagine it's acoustic so make sure your mic cable is earthed properly by checking pin 1 at both ends of it.

Cheers.
Allan Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2009, 01:28 AM   #3
Major Player

i use this mic also, and get hum. i have it in a shockmount which is further isolated by a foam wrapped tube seated in the mic holder-and i still get hum that only disappears when i take the mic off camera. i think that this is just the reality, and not just with the AT mic, because i get it with other mics also... i see no way of further isolating the mic that is practical... like mounting a shockmount on the shockmounted shockmount???? hmmmmm...
Brian David Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2009, 03:14 AM   #4
Major Player

One possibility might be to make a DIY angled extension to attach to the mic bracket of your camera and move the mic further away from the camera. Might be tricky to make it sturdy enough though. Here's a very bad diagram of what I mean...

____
[
#
[-------]
[-------]

The camera is the block at the bottom and the mic is the horizontal line at the top. The # symbol is the existing bracket
Old May 11th, 2009, 06:29 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Andy and Brian, did you make your own short XLR > XLR mic cables, especially for the A1?

Cheers.
Old May 11th, 2009, 01:00 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks for the responses. I am actually using the xlr cord that is meant to go with this mic. Probably should try a longer one to see if there is a difference? Does anyone know of another mic that would work better and so I wont get a hum. I only get the hum when I am zooming in or out.
Old May 12th, 2009, 12:31 AM   #7
Major Player

Allan,
i am using a short cable (1 foot?). i am sure that it is the camera humming, and not the cable, as when i take the mic out of the shockmount and even slightly away from the camera, it stops. i think it is just difficult to get the vibrations eliminated from a sensitive mic... it is not overwhelming hum, mind you, but i'm an audio guy that likes 'perfection' (or seeking it, anyway!) and matching the on camera mic to the off camera mic is hard when minimizing the hum with EQ...
Brian David Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2009, 08:13 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Anyone have any thoughts on another brand mic I can get so I wont have that hum?
thanks.
Old May 12th, 2009, 04:21 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Brian, I'd take your A1 to a camera shop, one with a good sound dept.

Andy, maybe you're not recording with enough level on your tape.

In other words, in post, when you turn the volume up to the correct level, up comes the residual noise of the A1?

Cheers.
Old May 12th, 2009, 09:26 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Hi Andy................

Just had a listen to my A1 and yes, the zoom motor does emit a faint hum when running, but it's not startlingly loud.

The reason I did was to figure out why I don't get the same hum pickup as you, and I think I have the answer.

I'm running a Sennheiser ME67/ K6 setup, which as you may know, is one loooooong mic.

It's mounted in a Rycote CCA adapter, which fits in the A1 mic holder and points rearwards, holding the mic a good couple of inches higher than the built in mics.

Rycote | Medium Hole Softie Mount & CCA | 037306 | B&H Photo

Even with the mount now about 3 inches behind the camera mic holder, the business end of the ME67 is still a good three inches out in front of the lens hood.

I think it's this "nose out in front" which keeps it from picking up any motor noise (plus the fact it's polar pattern pretty well means it doesn't pick up anything from the sides).

The short shotgun AT is less than 7 inches long, and, it's a "short" shotgun as opposed to the ME67's howitzer.

You might want to try a Rycote mount (or similar) but fit it facing forward, which would move the business end of the AT a good three inches forward of it's current position.

Better still, the CCA holder bar, the bit that actually fits in the camera mic holder, has a 3/8" threaded hole in it's base for mounting on a boom. With a bit of ingenuity you could fit an extender to this bar and get the mic even further forward, away from that motor.

I'll be interested to see it that fixes the problem.

CS

PS. The ME67 is a beautiful sounding mic and for "on camera", awesome.

Last edited by Chris Soucy; May 12th, 2009 at 11:44 PM. Reason: + Link
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2009, 10:11 PM   #11
Trustee

I'm assuming that the mic is physically attached to the camera in this situation, that is transmitting the sound from camera to microphone... I do remember seeing an isolator in the XL1 section of the watchdog portion of this site:

Something like this: The MM-XL1 Universal Mini-Mount from Light Wave Systems
Old May 13th, 2009, 08:08 AM   #12
Regular Crew

wow, thanks for the tips guys. I will definately be trying them, i just have to get rid of this humm.
thanks you!
Old May 13th, 2009, 06:12 PM   #13
Inner Circle

Hi again......

I'd forgotten this was on DVinfo.

Scroll down to the photo of me with my A1 and ME67 - you will see what I mean by "nose out in front" (no, not mine!).

Gives a good idea just how long a ME67/ K6 really is.

Vinten Vision 3 AS Tripod (3 of 4) DV Info Net

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2009, 07:33 PM   #14
Regular Crew

I borrowed a Rode (is that how you spell it) shotgun for a shoot this weekend. I noticed that when I zoomed I cold hear the gearing on the lens in the mic. I talked to the friend that I borrowed the mic from and she said it does do that but in most cases it doesn't show up so much on the final cut. I used the mic for crowd noise in XLR-1 and had a radio playing into XLR-2 for announcer coverage of a football game. When I went back to the audio, I wasn't able to hear any camera stuff in the audio track. But, with all the noise of a football game and radio, what would you expect? I'll know more for sure in a couple of days. I just ordered the AT897 from bh and will use it for a wedding shoot this weekend. Then I'll really know how much noise it brings to the video.
Old May 20th, 2009, 10:42 PM   #15
Trustee

The auto zoom uses gears and motors. Since the microphones are physically connected directly to the camera and/or, as super sensitive microphones, are in close proximity to it, I would expect that the only way to not have that sound would be to physically move the microphone away from the camera.

This is a common enough problem, that the run and gun setup of strapping a microphone directly to the camera is generally thought to be a bad idea and has solutions (see above) to be able to isolate the microphone from the camera. Even when the mic is on a boom pole, you want to isolate it from the pole to eliminate handling noise... and still want to wear gloves... and still want to strap the cables down to eliminate that noise. These are REALLY sensitive instruments. This problem is really to be expected under these circumstances and relatively easy to deal with. You could probably even build an offset mount with a suspension dealy out of PVC and rubberbands to get rid of the physically transmitted handling/ servo noise if not offsetting it enough to get rid of the proximity noise as well.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders