DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Cheap 2X Lens Converters for XH-A1? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/235313-cheap-2x-lens-converters-xh-a1.html)

Mike Hardy May 13th, 2009 06:55 PM

Cheap 2X Lens Converters for XH-A1?

Gentlemen, (and ladies, of course), do any of you esteemed people have any advice or experience regarding these cheap 2X converters for the XH-A1? I'm not expecting a superlative image, but is is capable of capturing anything useful?
Best regards,
Spud

72mm 2x Pro Tele Lens Telephoto For Canon XH-A1 XH-G1 on eBay, also, Lenses, Lenses Filters, Cameras Photo (end time 26-May-09 18:38:26 BST)

Battle Vaughan May 13th, 2009 07:20 PM

I don't know about the one you show, but I tried an Impact brand from B&H and it was like shooting through a Coke bottle, absolutely useless. I don't fault the attachment as I have no way to test it independently, let's just say it was incompatable with the XHA1 primary lens.....B&H was gracious in taking it back, I might add. I suspect most of these off-brand jobs are made in the same Chinese factory, although that is just my guess....../ Battle Vaughan/miamiherald.com video team

Chris Soucy May 14th, 2009 03:51 AM

Hi Mike..(again, gonna have to stop meeting....)

$49.95?

Junk. Pure and simple.

Avoid like any version of flu you like.

CS

Tripp Woelfel May 14th, 2009 05:54 AM

Battle and Chris are pretty smart cookies, so I'm going to agree with them. I'm also a big believer in the adage, "you get what you pay for".

I would expect that one should expect to pay at least US$300 for a quality product. Whilst price does not guarantee quality, a company's reputation can help. I bought a Century .55 WA adapter for an HV10. I think I paid north of US$150 and am quite happy with it. That price is less than my US$300 mark because there's less glass involved.

Check the user reviews for products you might be interested in at B&H and I think you'll find the better rated products will deliver better image quality. (OK, so I'm Capt. Obvious this morning.)

Mike Hardy May 14th, 2009 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Soucy (Post 1142868)
$49.95?

Junk. Pure and simple.

Avoid like any version of flu you like.

CS

LOL!!
Hi Chris. Yes, I know you're right. This is one expensive pastime.

Rex Cooper June 28th, 2009 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Battle Vaughan (Post 1142727)
I don't know about the one you show, but I tried an Impact brand from B&H and it was like shooting through a Coke bottle, absolutely useless. I don't fault the attachment as I have no way to test it independently, let's just say it was incompatable with the XHA1 primary lens.....B&H was gracious in taking it back, I might add. I suspect most of these off-brand jobs are made in the same Chinese factory, although that is just my guess....../ Battle Vaughan/miamiherald.com video team

Was it this one?

Impact | DVP-TP20-72 72mm 2.0x High-grade | DVP-TP20-72 | B&H

I was thinking about trying it out...

Bryce Comer June 28th, 2009 11:22 PM

I'm actually surprised B&H even sell something like this! I bought something like this once, never again!!! You really need to lay down a few hundred dollars to get acceptable results. Infact as far as i know, there are only 2 tele converters that are worth putting your hard earned down for, the Schneider & the Raynox.
Bryce

Battle Vaughan June 29th, 2009 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rex Cooper (Post 1164559)
Was it this one?

Impact | DVP-TP20-72 72mm 2.0x High-grade | DVP-TP20-72 | B&H

I was thinking about trying it out...

It looks the same, it's the same price, as I recall it; the one I got was a couple of years ago, so who knows what Chinese factory is making them now? My guess is fuggaboudit..... but B&H are decent about returns, so you might not be risking anything to try.....b. vaughan